Road Tax Disc from Oct 1st

Just heard on the news that from October 1st 2014 you will no longer need to display a tax disc on your windscreen.

Apparently all cars will be monitored by the APNR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) System.

Anyone with a disc that goes past October 1st can in theory throw it away as "the system" will know you have paid.

Road Tax will be paid for via the internet, phone or post office. You can even set up a direct debit (so no excuse for forgetting?)

They stress that it is important that if you sell the car you inform "the powers that be" that you have done so straight away, to ensure you don't get a fine if the next owner does not tax it.

Cars will be scanned using APNR as you travel about the country so if your tax is not up to date you will get affine through the post.

I suppose this also means that the APNR system can tell where you are from day to day?

Smiffy

• Upvote 2

Better keep out of trouble then.......!

They stress that it is important that if you sell the car you inform "the powers that be" that you have done so straight away, to ensure you don't get a fine if the next owner does not tax it.

That has always been the case; if you don't tell DVLC that you are no longer the owner, you might get all kinds things ( such as speed camera fines for the new owner) coming to your address.

I suppose this also means that the APNR system can tell where you are from day to day?

ANPR has been in police traffic vehicles for many years; you only have to drive past one and they might stop you for something which the system flags up. eg no insurance.

Apparently if you sell a motor vehicle that is taxed you will have to surrender it when you sell, to the DVLA, the new owner will be required to re-tax the vehicle again.

So if you sell a vehicle mid month you will only receive reimbursement for COMPLETE months left.

Take note however that the insurance side of the system can lag by a couple of weeks - in other words, your insurance renewal doesn't get on straight away. My son was stopped a couple of days after renewing (and changing) his insurance. Fortunately, He happened to have the new documents with him. His wife was stopped in the same car, at the same spot, the following day. I don't think she was best pleased.

Take note however that the insurance side of the system can lag by a couple of weeks - in other words, your insurance renewal doesn't get on straight away. My son was stopped a couple of days after renewing (and changing) his insurance. Fortunately, He happened to have the new documents with him. His wife was stopped in the same car, at the same spot, the following day. I don't think she was best pleased.

Whilst this is a real pain I wonder how uninsured drivers manage to get away with it. If you are stopped and have recently renewed/changed insurer the Police can put a call through to the insurer and confirm cover is in place.

Seems a strange thing to do really...

A traffic warden casually walking along a line of traffic would easily spot an untaxed, or out of date tax on a vehicle.

What will they do now, get a little scanner out?

My Mother was a stickler for obeying the law and the following is true.

Once, in the 1960's, when they were on holiday in Wales it was that warm the sticky stuff on the underside of the holder dried out and the tax disc kept falling off.

My Mother held it in place everywhere they went. Eventually it stayed in place, but on the way home (in the dark) it fell off again.

She picked it up off the floor and (you guessed it) she held it in place all the way home (in the dark)....

Another amusing incident on the way to Cornwall comes to mind. We were in an old Morris 10 and had to ask a policeman for direction in Bristol (pre M5).

The policeman bent down to give directions through the open window.

My Dad put the manual "swan's beak" indicator on and it struck the policeman in the eye.

My Mother was horrified and thought that we were all going to spend a night in the cells.

Happy memories......

Smiffy

• Upvote 3

In Tasmania this idea was introduced a year ago but the troubling thing is we in this state don't have yearly inspections like they do in other states just random roadside checks.So a lot of bomb cars with baldy tyres and other such problems.

Here in Western oz, no registration stickers for 3 years now. All police and traffic wardens carry scanners that read the plate and linked to central computer.

Some cbd areas have scanners and on our freeways (motorways). We also have fixed speed and average speed scanner/cameras.

Big brother Is definitely watching down here !

The tax disk was scrapped in France in 2000, the government just added a few cents onto the price of petrol, so you now pay as you drive,

I can't understand why they don't do that here, probably coz they'll lose a bit of control of us..

• Upvote 1

One day I am sure that they will have a bar code put on the roof of each car so that they can be scanned as they pass under a bridge or other similar place.

This way they will not only be able to ensure that it is taxed and insured but also where it's been from day to day !

Smiffy

So ...if i go to someones house to look at possibly buying a car, how do i drive it home if i do buy it....surely i wont set up my tax before i go to their house because i may not buy it.