Given that such people were known as Robin Hood, it is likely that Yorkshire probably did have one. But the famous one was definitely FROM NOTTINGHAM!!!!! Nowadays we call them Robin Barstewards.

• Upvote 1

I TEK no notice of what them Yorkies say,........cos they say what they like...........and like what they say !

It really doesn't matter what they try to claim, people from all over the world associate Robin Hood with Nottingham!

• Upvote 2

I'm sure I read somewhere that Yorkshire was once really part of Nottinghamshire?

That would cause a bit of a stir if we put in a "let's claim it back promotion"

Smiffy

I don't think anyone has ever claimed that he was born in Nottingham, it's his activities in Notts that made him famous.

Yorkies can say he was born there, it makes no difference to us.

Christopher Columbus was famous for discovering America, but he wasn't born there.

It'll all blow over soon.

• Upvote 2

I'm sure I read somewhere that Yorkshire was once really part of Nottinghamshire?

That would cause a bit of a stir if we put in a "let's claim it back promotion"

Smiffy

Funny that smiffy' i read in a book about Fred Trueman,that on his birth certificate it stated 'born in Stainton in the counties of Yorks and Notts.

Not only buried in Yorkshire but according to this ( OK its the Yorkshire Post from 1944 ! ).....I reckon Robin was Jewish ! Oy Vay :) (see next to last para ).

When it lists his aches and pains intrigued as to what a " corrupted bloud " is too !

15197689165_24a29ccd18_z.jpg

15174663616_faaba0563f_o.jpg

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!!

Can you just imagine it? The Sherriff of York??!! or the Sherriff of Leeds???!!! or the Sherriff of Sheffield !!!??? or even the sherriff of Pontefract???!!!

HA HA HA HA HA. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 2

All I know is no matter where in the world I have been, when asked where I come from and I say Nottingham, the usual reply is "Oh Robin Hood ! "

Two good things did come from Yorkshire though, my missus and yorkshire pudding ! :-))

• Upvote 4

If you think about it, Edwinstowe and the Dukeries are more-or-less on the border of Notts and Yorks.. So there may be some crossover in the legend.