Christmas Is Coming!!

We have done it for years and never had one go off. You can even freeze it. If my Christmas Cake doesn't all get eaten; after a while, I cut and wrap individual slices and freeze them. Just take a piece out of the freezer when the fancy takes us. We finished last years in August.

• Upvote 1
  • 8 years later...

Let’s get this terrible summer over and then we can start to think about Christmas. I for one will be pleased to feel cold. Last year my daughter and I baked lots of mini Christmas cakes. I made 8 jars of mincemeat and still have 6 left so that’s one less thing to do. I think mini cakes are probably better for us anyway and they do look pretty when decorated. People here are shocked when we start to make Christmas caked and mincemeat so early. They are convinced that everything will go rotten. But little do they know. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Opened NS this morning to find an advert for BCS online shopping for exbrits. Occasionally we order for things we can’t find here and was just whisking through thinking if we order I only want tins of chocolates like I buy every year. When I first started ordering them they were about5-6£. I know all prices have increased but at €12.99 I draw the line. In Asti there’s a little group of cheap shops mixed in with better ones and there I found a shop called Action. They have everything including a couple of displays of chocolates and snacks. I found a tin of Heroes and another of celebrations at a price that was ridiculous. Outdated I thought , no they weren’t. I bought one of each and only paid 5€ each. Now I don’t know what they cost in UK but cannot understand why in a shop like this one should be able to sell at this price. BCS now is based in Holland so basically it should be cheaper than UK. IMO. If I can’t find them this year folks you will have to live without your English choccies and make do with mince pies.

Just bought Heroes in Tesco for £4 (clubcard price). Haven’t looked at the weight -  perhaps it is less this year?

John Lewis in Nottingham are doing the Quality Street tins again this year where you choose your own. We save our empty tins year on year. All about the green triangles for me! 

2 hours ago, MargieH said:

Just bought Heroes in Tesco for £4 (clubcard price). Haven’t looked at the weight -  perhaps it is less this year?

Margie Thank you, I think they are all 600 gr. Heroes at £4 even without club price they are cheap. Shall have to come over and get a few. I certainly won’t get them from BCS.

10 minutes ago, MRS B said:

John Lewis in Nottingham are doing the Quality Street tins again this year where you choose your own. We save our empty tins year on year. All about the green triangles for me! 

Mrs B I save all my tins ( plastic) to because they are so useful. I usually give my grandchildren a couple each at Christmas plus their usual gift.

• 4 months later...

"Christmas is coming"? but I didn't think it would be this early, got these this morning from the asda Hykeham, sell by date 28 Feb 2024, aarrgg

DSCF2558.jpg[/ur

Rog

Imagine that you can buy Lotus Bisscoff. Biscuits in UK. We love them then I found a recipe for them so decided to make them. First I measured the ingredients then found I had no flour then I had to grind some cloves . This morning set to make them , oops no muscovado sugar but decided to use white sugar knowing they wouldn’t be the same but heyho whatever comes. Ok but certainly not the same, needs more spice and definitely muscovado because they look anemic. 

3 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Suspicious looking tear in the packaging there, Rog. I'll bet you've scoffed them all.

No Jill still got four left, might leave them for boxing day slywink

Rog