I did 100 mile walk when I was 40 for McMillan unit raised 3 grand before I had cancer now living with the after affects from a op ,I now have a better understanding of cancer,so if I am healthy after my radiotherapy,I will again walk 100 miles for nottm city hospital and raise more

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I used to watch Linda Bellingham on Loose Women and always found her to be a really nice lady. I was very sad when I read about her health problems and her intention to end her treatment. Because of t

I would like to give Linda a big hug she's someones Mum. x

True Tomlinson but we British have become a lot more open with each other. When my Mum was suffering from Cancer 26 years ago no- one, nor she, EVER mentioned the C Word in her company. Yes, we'd op

tomlinson, it's good to see you sharing amusing posts with Andy today because some topics can get out of hand, as we all know. We all had our say and debated your topic in a good way, which is how it should always be. It cheered me up because I woke up with this awful pain in......oh, never mind. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

Hope youre RT goes as well as mine seems to have done Andy! all symtoms and side effects now gone,feel like dancing every day,

• Upvote 3

Compo (#46), it saddened me to read your post this morning regarding your father. It's unusual for someone to be so forthright but it does open a debate regarding an incurable disease. There has been a lot of publicity in the past regarding The Dignitas Clinic in Switzerland which assists people to take their own life. This is illegal in the UK although the 'Assisted Suicide (Scotland) Bill' is in progress in the Scottish Parliament. Is it right to keep someone alive when they are suffering so much pain and have no hope of recovery or is it right to let them die with dignity?

• Upvote 2

Just read this on Facebook. Perhaps puts things into context. this young lady is not a celebrity.

https://www.facebook.com/FrankSomervilleKTVU/photos/a.394744753922191.92927.162404453822890/796428393753823/?type=1&theater

• Upvote 1

Darkanza so sad ,Benjamin Michael Tomlinson any of you or for that matter any nostalgians like to join me next year in a 100mile walk for breast and prostate cancer locally,if I am fit I need to give something back.

• Upvote 1

I fear I am no where near fit as needed for such a walk and to be honest, probably never have been. For myself and my wife down here in Norfolk it's a case of giving help to charity as need comes along in ways we can manage.

• Upvote 1

Lovely walk in Norfolk tomlinson,Peddars Way' did large parts of it in the 70s,where in Norfolk do you live?

Lovely walk in Norfolk tomlinson,Peddars Way' did large parts of it in the 70s,where in Norfolk do you live?

We live in Attleborough, 11 miles from Norwich on the A11 London road. Our advantage is having ready access to the Norfolk and Suffolk coastlines. We don't have the spectacular cliffs etc. of the west country, which we enjoy for holidays, but the scenery certainly is different with a great charm of its own. I think the beauty of this country is the variety of the land we can enjoy without having to go abroad. All we need is a bit more sun, which the ecologists tell us we will be getting

• Upvote 3

So sorry to hear about your Father Compo. Cancer is something that scientists should have found a cure for years ago with all the technology that is around in this day and age. Great to see people like Andy doing something so worthwhile and admirable for charity, I'd love to participate and help anyway that I can! Glad to hear you are in such good spirits Benjamin, long may it continue!

As for Michael's post, euthanasia is a very touchy subject, but in most cases assisted suicide should be allowed, as long as the sufferer is able to make that decision for themselves.

• Upvote 3

I know that my great gran died at home. She lost control of her bowels towards the end and was kept isolated in my gran's front room - probably because of the smell. Dementia is a terrible thing to suffer.

I THINK THE TERM 'BATTLE' can be apt,but its more a battle in the mind,many people survive it now,but have to have the mindset not to give up.

• Upvote 1

I feel that Linda Bellingham is doing something very brave. She is facing the end of her life on her own terms. As she is well known as an actress the its seems natural for her to express herself in the way she has done. It will undoubtedly give some cancer sufferers some reference point for their own illnesses and perhaps give them some aid in making such monumental decisions as so when they want chemotherapy to end.

• Upvote 2

Melissa

Cancer is not just one disease but a lot of diseases under one simple word.

Many cancers can be eliminated completely. Cervical cancer has an innoculation now. It works. Some types of prostate cancer can be effectively treated by nothing more than a three monthly injection. Some real killers, like Hodgkins's Disease, and some leukaemias were hugely destructive even 30 years ago. Now they are very survivable.

There is still a long way to go, but survival rates are going up and up each year. All cancers cannot be eliminated, but they can be reduced to an absolute minimum and that will happen within our lifetimes.

• Upvote 3

Goodbye to a lovely lady. There's a tear in my eye as I write this. RIP Linda.

• Upvote 2

I remember her best from the OXO ads and 'All Creatures Grunt and Smell' TV series. Her sufferring is now over - her family's is just beginning.

My best friend was diagnosed with this evil disease a couple of weeks ago, right out of the blue. I had a really 'difficult to deal with' long conversation with him on Saturday night, it was dreadful, we normally end up uncontrollably laughing, it didn't happen, despite my efforts. It just reinforces my belief in the cr@p we're fed over religion and a so called 'God' that is supposed to love everybody. My friend is religious, he is possibly one of the loveliest people on the planet, but there you go, he's probably going to die a horrible agonising death by the sound of it, cest la vie, what's happened to his guardian angel.