• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anybody on here have redifusion I remember going to my grandmas house she put the telly turned the switch on the wall and the radio came out as a nine year old I thought it was great I think there hea

I bought my first colour TV from Wigfalls in 1973 a 22"GEC 6 channel push button tuner thing. What an absolute pile of garbage.

The tv was probably ok I worked for wigfalls at that time,it was probly me that installed it cat fan ,sorry I wasnt very good at my job.

Posted Images

When did Redifusion come into being?

I think my Mother worked there for a while, she once told us that she had to take (or make?) some sort of call from my Dad, who was serving in the Army overseas.

The story goes that once the call was connected she had to leave her desk and go into some sort of switchboard type office at the Redifusion offices.

The switchboard operator, who was connecting the call, must have said "Roger" to her opposite number abroad.

My Mother, not used to telephones etc, quickly interrupted her to explain that my Dad's name was "Reg" not "Roger" !

After that everyone at the office called him the "Regifusion" man.

I do remember the brown bakolite boxes on the wall too.

My Dad was very much into radio and television technology and always wanted to have the latest gadgets.

He once built a complete television from bits and pieces and fitted some sort of "box" to the back so we could watch BBC2 when it first came on stream.

He couldn't wait for the shop to open to buy a colour TV when they first came out, even though only a limited number of programmes were in colour!

We would sit and watch the test card as he twiddled around at the back.

My Aunt had Redifusion too, I remember that after it had been disconnected we would be allowed to play with the switch, listening to the lovely "clicking" sound it made.

Smiffy

I think you mean Grundig... They used to make the best all band radios on the market. Pity the Yachtboy is now made in China, I always wanted one, but was always outside my budget.

The overhead cable network was (I think) sold on as in what iirc was maybe 1990 I worked part-time out of an office on Freeth St selling the service. I had to get a £10 installation fee and got paid £15 per time. Every lunchtime my wife would collect 5 or 6 appointments and drop in the previous nights takings then on a Friday she'd collect my £4-500 for 5 or 6 evening's work. Nice work if you could get it. I would be at each house for 5-10 minutes as the spiel was so simple. Unfortunately, the wet snow that winter destroyed the entire network (that should isolate what year it was if anyone can recall) so I lost the job. It was a shame as we'd just had our first daughter so my working evenings for that sort of part-time money worked in well with my wife's job.

The changeover from 405 lines to 625 lines was a major faff.

When BBC2 came along it was 625 lines only, which meant a new aerial and major changes to TV electronics.

There was a period of a few years when televisions had to handle both 405 lines and 625 lines.

I remember that when you wanted to watch something on BBC2 like 'World Of Beachcomber' (Spike Milligan) or 'His Lordship Entertains' (Ronnie Barker, David Jason), you'd push a huge button and there would be a massive clunk and then you'd have to rotate a dial to tune it properly.

I guess with Redifusion you didn't have all that messing about because it all came down a cable.

When colour came along all the channels were 625 of course.

• Upvote 1

My grans only form of entertainment was the redifusion radio, or her wind up gramophone and 78's. Her wonderful grandson (me) connected it from the junction box on the rear wall of her terraced house in St Annes.

Even got the proper speaker box from a junk shop on the St Annes Well road.

Don't tell anyone though !

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

We had Rediffusion when we got married in 1970 the black and white TV we bought off The Coal Merchant's for a fiver................... They were having a colour TV.,.............I can remember the brown switch on the window ledge and switching it over from TV to radio when it was always Dennis Mc Carthy presenting, sometimes with his young daughter........They were in York House, (Radio Nottingham) - Not heard anything of him for years..............Wonder what has happened to him?..........My friend Pat worked at the Rediffusion Offices on Castle Boulevard.................

I was driving down Carlton Road this morning and spotted what must be one of the last bits of the Rediffusion cable still in place. It crosses Carlton Road just by the junction with Hooton Street.

How many people would have noticed that and realised what it is? It crosses Carlton Road and seems to go up Hooton Street.

redif-1.jpg

• Upvote 1

Idly standing outside my mother in law's house on Cavendish Vale in Sherwood one day a few years back, I noticed a cable going between her house and the one opposite. I knew it wasn't a phone cable, so surmised it was from when Redifusion were around.

As far as I know, it's still there.