Ever wondered what the future holds?

3 hours ago, mary1947 said:

Do you really want to know??

If we did know, we would take actions that would change it because it wouldn't suit everyone. Therefore, it can be argued that there is no future. In that case, the concepts of destiny and predestination cannot exist, either. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have been giving some thought to what the future looks like but today is bad enough. Here are my thoughts, of course based on Australia, is it similar to the UK?   A place where you can wa

What does the future hold? Maybe the revelation of the identity of the roughest area in Nottingham?

One of my father's favourite sayings. His advice was to laugh as often as possible and he often said that a sense of humour wasn't sufficient. In this world, you need a sense of the ridiculous because

15 hours ago, Beekay said:

I don't worry about what the future holds. As a dear friend once said to me, " I look at it this way, how many summer holidays have I got left"?

I do know that nothing is more certain than death and taxes (Benjamin Franklin)

The future doesnt look bright i m afraid..............I worry about it for the sake of my children and Grandchildren and of course other peoples.........through-out my life the world has never been perfect...but even with-out any 'Rose tinted glasses'' it was better than today...........i'm sure there have never been so many 'Wars''.........

And as for having a second Personality....reckon we all need one...to escape all the wrongs in the world...

''' Laugh and the world laughs with you.........weep and you weep alone'''

Quote from a poem from long ago...by ''Ella Wilcox''

• Like 3
1 hour ago, benjamin1945 said:

' Laugh and the world laughs with you.........weep and you weep alone'''

One of my father's favourite sayings. His advice was to laugh as often as possible and he often said that a sense of humour wasn't sufficient. In this world, you need a sense of the ridiculous because it's a ridiculous place. The older I become, the more I see the wisdom in his words.

• Like 3

Often wondered why people looked at me and burst out laughing.  :Shock:

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

Yes this is "what is" yet we continue with the thinking of Keynesian Economics, do we need a rethink?

Some good points Qz but a discussion of Keynsian v Monetrist v Command economies and the drivers in economic theory would have to be in the political thread

2 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

.i'm sure there have never been so many 'Wars''

It's never been peaceful Ben, the internet make us all much more aware of the conflicts. The link: https://www.iwm.org.uk/history/timeline-of-20th-and-21st-century-wars  list conflicts with just UK involvement.

There has been a war, some big some not so big, during every year of the 20th century......... and yet we are still hypocritical enough to teach children violence is wrong and not the answer to a problem.

Perhaps we should teach them resolution is dependant on the size of the stick you carry.

• Like 1

Many Wars there Brew..................but not all at the same time......

@Philmayfield, ¿usted no hablar Español ?

Ian Finn, do you not speak Canadianese yet?

⁹.

Not yet buddy still trying to remember what a trunk is i thought it was what i put my belongings in when i came here  just nipping out to the drugstore and fill the car with gas(not calor) and open the hood to check the oil, how am i doing oh yes i have to put the garbage out.

Bad spelling?  The BBC website is riddled with it. Clearly, no one proof reads the reports they've written. They probably rely on the spellcheck facility. Not a good idea. Poor grammar abounds, too.  They wouldn't have escaped without a couple of lunchtimes under The Dome had they produced such rubbish at Manning.

Absolutely  At HP they'd have been given a tin of 'Briz' ( A cheap imitation of Ajax ) and a couple of hours cleaning graffiti from desks. The problem isn't  just confined to the BBC though. Friend of mine taught for years and reports having to frequently  challenge young 'English Teachers' over grammar and usage.

Just to play devil’s advocate…… Aren't all languages evolving?  For example, we don’t still speak or write in the same manner that Shakespeare or (even worse) Chaucer used.

Working with my two youngest grandchildren on French homework, they learn a much more relaxed, colloquial way of speaking than when I was at school.  
I think that as long as people can communicate effectively, does it really matter?  
There are more important things to worry  about than this .

It does get me though when commentators talk about the AMOUNT of people rather than the NUMBER of people!
Please reread the first five words in this post!

16 hours ago, MargieH said:

Just to play devil’s advocate…… Aren't all languages evolving?  For example, we don’t still speak or write in the same manner that Shakespeare or (even worse) Chaucer used.

Exactly. Although I did A-Level English I never understood Shakespeare - in any sense of the word. Either reading or listening to his material, I find it difficult to understand; both in his sentence construction and use of words.

It's easier to read his plays because you can keep staring at a particular passage to try and make sense of it; but when they're performed on stage or on film it could almost be a foreign language.

The teaching of foreign languages back in the 50’s/60’s concentrated more on the grammar rather than being conversational, although we did have to take a brief oral exam in French for GCE. I endured about three years of compulsory Latin which was totally about the application of grammar. Some university courses required an ‘0’ level in the subject. A lot of the stuff we were taught was totally irrelevant to real life. Although being a chartered accountant, and for most of my business life running a manufacturing company, I have never once come across a quadrilateral equation. I took all the sciences at A level but generally the application of Ohm’s law was all I ever needed on the shopfloor! I would hope that modern education better prepares students to face the realities of life.

• Like 1