Lenovo Computers deliberately include Malware

Since we've been discussing the irritating ads and pop-ups that invade our computers and waste our time, this is quite pertinent.

Lenovo, the China based computer manufacturer have just been found to have bundled an 'Adware' (and ultimately malware) programme on their computers. (ie. pre-installed)

A piece of software that is there before you've even turned it on for the first time, which will bug you with pop-up ads, irritate you to hell, AND compromise your security.

The software is known as Superfish. It's a nasty programme.

When complaints started to flood in from people who had just bought a Lenovo, they denied that it was anything serious and, to quote from their 'bullshit bingo' response, said that it was only there to 'help customers potentially discover interesting products while shopping'.

Then they said that they would issue a patch to get rid of it. Then, as complaints snowballed, they said that it wouldn't be included anymore. Finally, the chief technical officer issued a statement to say 'we feel quite strongly that we made a significant mistake here'.

It's shocking how Lenovo had such contempt for a portion of its user base that it was willing to sacrifice their privacy and security to make 30 pieces of silver. Clearly they can't be trusted to maintain even a pretense of having their customer's best interests at heart.

Never mind all the attempts to rectify the situation - promising that they'll be good in future.

Most people will just not buy their computers from now on

Lesser things have broken companies in the past.

They've only got themselves to blame!

• Upvote 1

Heaven only knows why Lenovo did this.

But remember that their computers used to be branded as IBM, which is only a letter each apart from HAL. And 2001 A Space Oddesey was on the TV only the other night.

• Upvote 1

It's worth bearing in mind that all computers have adware pre-loaded. The difference with Superfish is that it had a vulnerability that Lenovo wasn't aware of that could compromise the security of their machines. If you don't think you have adware, ask yourself why so many adverts seem to be aimed directly at your own interests or recent browsing. That's not, of itself, a problem but if (as happened here) the software signs security certificates instead of Veri-Sign then it creates a whole load of security issues.

To censor articles like this would be detrimental to members - they have a right to know what could affect them.

Why would this be censored?

We have always had a computer help forum for such post.

I have now moved this topic into this area.

You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community.

This is what happens when one hands the right of veto to tyrants. Proper considered replies are wiped Trevor

What are you on about Stan?

If this refers to an error message you have received, it refers to an image type upload or link that has not been specified in the software.

ie. you can use .gif .jpg etc images but may not be able to use more obscure image types. .raw would be a good example.

It is nothing to do with censorship

Whenever we buy new laptops at work the preloaded software is 100% removed and our own version of Windows installed. This gets rid of most of the risk. It is expensive as a licence is needed per install. It would be inpracticable for private users to do the same. It is about time that bundled software is banned.

I put most of my own computers together myself from either "kit" or bare bones from Tiger Direct, and add my own extras, like larger RAM, pre order a large drive with the kit or "bare bones" machines, then I add my OS and software that I want in the machine, saves many headaches and a bundle in money!!

It's not rocket science assembling a computer, in fact anyone who can plug an electric toaster into a wall socket can assemble a computer.

All it requires are a couple of tools, ability to read, you need to read the ID's on the motherboard sockets, you cannot go wrong, just remember to make sure you're earthed at all times to prevent static discharges to the motherboard!

By this method, you can save 50% or more on the cost of a computer!

Not if you buy reputable software, my OS is multi license MS Win7.

I agree, it probably is better, but I doubt it would support all the software I use and as I'm not a programmer, there's no way I can write "plugins" for them to it.

Now html is another kettle of fish, I am conversant with it.

Not really sure what Stan was on about either.

We've had lots of discussions about computers in the past.

I feel very sorry for people who go into PC World or some retail shop and buy a computer off-the-shelf.

In the 21st. Century it really should be a simple matter just to turn it on and start using it without having all the intrusion, time-wasting, and relentless attempts to get you to part with more money.

The 'bloatware' that comes pre-loaded is a nightmare.

Doesn't help, of course, when Microsoft's latest offering is also crap.

Most of my family and neighbours have asked me to try and sort out their machines, and what you folks have said here is absolutely true.

It's often better to wipe it all off and start again with a clean install.

But not everybody has that option.

Lenovo's behaviour has crossed the line and shows how far respect for privacy and ethics has fallen.

It's another one to put on the DO NOT BUY list, along with Samsung Smart TV's

Lenovo will now be on my don't buy list. Its about time we were allowed to buy a computer without any OS. (Or BS). Then demand an OS without any other bloatware and instal it yourself. I did that with Linux and have been happier than I ever was with M$ products. It does everything I want it do do and can run some Win programs. Best of all its free so even if you don't like it you can dump it and load the alternative. It didn't cost you anthing but some time. Like John, I have built my last two desktops, but laptops are a different matter..

There is a learning curve with Linux, but they have a very friendly and helpful user forum and as they note. We were all newbies at one time. All the software I use was free too. Libreoffice, just like Ms Office and compatible with it. Firefox for the web. Photo programs although I have little use for them. Much other stuff there that I haven't even looked at.

Sorry to sound like a commercial, but we need to say "enough" to the big guys.

If you buy from Tiger Direct, Dave, you can buy one without an OS on it, they will load all the drivers on the hard drive though.

Didn't know that, John. I've always bought online from Newegg. Seems like most peripherals come with a driver disk then just go online and update to latest driver. Last M$ OS i bought was win 7 64 bit. Seems quite good but temperamental with older programs and printers. I'm still running an old HP Laserjet 4p. 20 odd years old now, but the print quality is great and I will not replace it as long as it works just to put money in the pockets of those greedy &/$$$Â¥#....

BTW. Are you talking laptops, John?

Yes it's about time some of these manufacturers were smacked down for treating us as fodder to be exploited.

How utterly stupid to cause so much grief to people who have already stumped up the cash to buy their product.

The whole thing about operating systems is, I believe, starting to come to a head.

There's nothing really new offered by the latest operating systems.

It's a market driven thing, where Microsoft are expected to bring out a new OS every 5 years and everyone must then be forced to use it. People must be coerced to ditch all their peripherals and re-buy all their software.

To what benefit?

Linux got MS very worried years ago when it started to become popular. It's very probable now that more people will look into using it.

Maybe all this Lenovo crap will see a resurgance of PC shops that can configure a computer to your spec to do what you want, rather than what they force you into.

If someone came up with a computer that had a simple stable OS with all the basic programmes (word processer, internet browser, media player) that wasn't full of bloatware, adware, malware and didn't constantly update at random, it would be hard to resist.

No Dave, mid towers, can't stand laptops. Two of the cheapest on line, Tiger direct for computers, TV's etc, and Amazon.

If you're looking for electrical parts, electronic parts that are out of date, only place left is Ebay.

The cheapest main board I could find for a TV that got smoked by lightning was an Ebay dealer. Over two hundred bucks from the manufacturer, dealers wanted 150 bucks, Ebay dealer was a little of 100 bucks.

Fitted the day after I received it, and tested perfect.

Most of the hard drives and memory we buy are from Tiger, they even have their own brand of computers, Systemax.