Anniversary - Traditional & Modern

My daughter tells me there are two lists of suitable wedding anniversary presents on the net; traditional presents and modern. Looking it up, I find she is right. Just as an instance, the traditional present for fifty years of marriage is the diamond and for thirty years, the pearl. The modern list gives the diamond for thirty years of marriage and for fifty years the diamond or the pearl. I can think of two reasons for these differing lists. Either modern marriages don't last these days and so thirty years warrants a diamond, or it's purely a sales technique. Any thoughts?

I always thought the following was correct:

25 years - silver

30 years - pearl

40 years - ruby

50 years - gold

60 years - diamond

It's our 50th Wedding Anniversary next March

• Upvote 6

Hallmark suggest diamonds or jewellery for the TENTH anniversary!!! Our daughter had a diamond ring a couple of months ago for their 10th! It's crazy and as you say Tomlinson, they simply don't expect people to get as far as 60 years together! I have had 3 60th anniversaries to buy for over the last couple of years and it is hard to even get a decent card!

Hallmark suggest diamonds or jewellery for the TENTH anniversary!!!

For them it's a business rather than an emotional event. They want you to buy as many of their products as possible, so they will invent as many anniversary variations as they can think of.

• Upvote 1

Well maybe, Cliff Ton, but then again they only sell the cards, not the jewelry. We shall have our 10th anniversary this month,(this being the second time round for us both, we made 22 years each in our respective former marriages) and as BilboroughShirley says it's tin, so we'll probably have a tin of salmon for tea!!! It's not a major landmark for us, though I daresay by todays standards it could well be for some. Our first one will be the traditional 25 years - silver. We have worked out to celebrate our 60th anniversary we will be 108-109 years young....that should be some target to aim for I think.

• Upvote 3

1st Paper Clock 2nd Cotton China 3rd Leather Crystal/Glass 4th Linen Fruit/Flowers 5th Wood Silverware 6th Iron Sweet and Sugar 7th Copper/Wool Desk Set 8th Bronze/Pottery Bronze/Pottery 9th Willow/Copper Linen/Lace 10th Aluminium/Tin Leather 11th Steel Jewellery 12th Silk/Linen Pearls 13th Lace Textiles/Fur 14th Ivory Gold Jewellery 15th Crystal Watches 20th China Platinum 25th Silver Silver 30th Pearl/Ivory Diamond 35th Coral Jade 40th Ruby Ruby 45th Sapphire Sapphire 50th Gold Gold 55th Emerald Emerald 60th Diamond Diamond 65th Blue Sapphire Blue Sapphire 70th Platinum Platinum 80th Oak Oak

Well it's our Ruby Wedding Anniversary next Thursday ...... who would have thought it?!!! Isn't it said 'Marry in May and rue the day'. Oh it's not been that bad, we've had many many wonderful times but it's not been easy! Got two fantastic sons too but I just wish they lived closer.

• Upvote 8

I always thought the following was correct:

25 years - silver

30 years - pearl

40 years - ruby

50 years - gold

60 years - diamond

It's our 50th Wedding Anniversary next March

Yes, this is as per the 'Traditional' list. Our diamond anniversary this August. As a husband I may start a move to reverse the order of the gifts. It would be cheaper! hearteyes

Yes, this is as per the 'Traditional' list. Our diamond anniversary this August. As a husband I may start a move to reverse the order of the gifts. It would be cheaper! hearteyes

I've just realised I've got it wrong. It's our golden wedding anniversary in August, not diamond. Don't tell the wife I got wrong whatever you do!

• Upvote 3

Me & Mrs Catfan were in Tesco's Bulwell last week when she came across an old pal of hers. Her mate famously said when Sue & I got married that "it" would never last.

OH, that would be 21 years ago in September !

We had the same thing Catfan, but that was one of the wife's Sisters, that was 31 years ago. First marriage lasted nearly ten years.

Doubt I'll be around to see 50 years, I can't see me lasting until my 86th birthday somehow.

• Upvote 1

They all said it about me and my lovely 'Donna' her mam and dad my my mam and dad,her ex my ex's her brothers and sisters ,my aunts and uncles,but then again whats lasting?she could go tomorrow,or i could,its just a matter of getting the right offer,lol.........i aint had many for quite a while,lol.My Grandad left Grandma' for another woman when he was in his 60s,bless him after being teenage sweethearts and 11 kids,.............its never over till the 'fat lady sings' so don't count yer chickens.......never take each other for granted !!!!! :)

We believe in giving each other space..............and its worked for 30 years.

• Upvote 2

I'm on about the age, not the missus...LOL I ain't breaking another woman in, takes too long, or is it the other way around?? No, she's got me until they cremate me.

• Upvote 1

You never know ayup'.................someone else could 'Light ya fire'........... :biggrin:

Never did the dirty on the first wife, other than having to live at work, I'm not inclined to stray Ben, I take my marriage vows seriously. No, she'll have to put up with me until she collects the insurance now.

Happy anniversary Liz.

57 years for me and mrs karlton wunt swop er for the world, Ahem too late anyway, Tee Heee lol.

• Upvote 4