open or wrapped? Fish and chips

I know 'caffs' have been well documented- but chip shops are quite literally another kettle of fish! My fave has to be Tony's Fish Bar on Arkwright st. If Notts won- I got a huge pickled onion as well. Never forget the old shop nearby that sold 78's etc.. Scoffing me chips and gozzing in the winders.Anyone else have a particular favourite or chipper memory?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1973 Chip Shop corner of Arkwright Street/Summer Street

When I was in Senior School: Gedling Secondery Modern, probably about 14yrs old, 1962/63, i think we had about an hour and a half for Lunch. A whole crowd of us would dash as quickly as we could from

Apollo Fish Bar is still there but sadly not the Ritz!

When I was in Senior School: Gedling Secondery Modern, probably about 14yrs old, 1962/63, i think we had about an hour and a half for Lunch. A whole crowd of us would dash as quickly as we could from School all the way down to the Chipshop on the opposite corner to the Ritz picture house.Burton Road.

The order of the day was Chips and Peas (that's all we could afford, we would put the rest together to buy five ParkDrive between us). Those Chips and Peas were delicious.They must have been, to stay in my memory all these years. On the way we would have to bypass the Chippy at the bottom of Westdale Lane, so they must have been good, or value for money.

Were any of our Nottstalgians part of the group that used to go there at lunch time, and can you remember the name of the Chip Shop?

• Upvote 5

When I was young I wouldn't eat chips at all, just didn't like them ....... much to the dismay of my Granny down the Medders, who would usually dish up Stew and chips whenever we visited. As a teenager I got a liking for chips and after spending the evening down the Dungeon and other haunts I would get off the bus on Rolleston Drive in Arnold, go straight in the chippy and buy a bag of chips, open with lots of salt and vinegar, plus a can of Coke to consume on the way home. It's funny, every single time I go past that chippy I think of those days.

Interesting to read Carni's chippy excursion during school lunch break ..... at Carlton-le-Willows, just down the road from Carni's school, we weren't allowed out of the school gates at all. If anyone did escape and get caught then they'd be in detention.

• Upvote 4

The Chippy in Wollaton Street, just up from the old Hippodrome/Gaumont. Back in the 50s, you could not keep my parents away from the place if in town. The fritters were out of this world.

Second best was the Chippy in Shelford Road, RoT, 3-4 shops up from the intersection with Main Road. A bag of free fish bits on a cold night kept our gang quiet for a while.

Carni , I was at Gedling a bit later than you and someone kindly built a parade of shops ,that included a chip shop , further along Wollaton Avenue , so we didn't have that far to go !

• Upvote 1

Reminds me of a story my late Dad told me. He had been on the razzle down Sneinton Dale in the fifties when he and his mates decided to buy some chips to finish the night off. They bought chips from one chippy and, for a ' laugh ', went into another chippy to put salt and vinegar on. The owner said to them ' oi, where did you get those chips?' When they told him he shouted; ' WELL F**K OFF AND USE THEIRN '. He said the whole chippy were in uproar!! I still have a chuckle at that....

I vaguely remember that chip shop near the Ritz carni but the name escapes me.

One thing I do know is the chip shop at the bottom of Westdale Lane must have been

the worst in Notts. You only went there if you were desperate.

• Upvote 1

I can remember buying chips for 4/d, when the price went up to 6/d (a tanner) there was public outcry !

Rip Off merchants even in them days.

Nowadays some chippy's will charge £1.80p for a bag.

David #5, Have you any idea when the Chip Shop was built on Wollaton Ave? I can't remember! The jaunt down to the Chippy was jut a Kid thing, probably someone knew someone who worked there. Who needs a reason when your fourteen! No idea why we went to that one. We probably just went to be part of the gang.

Some times I stayed "School Dinners" and I can't imagine we left the grounds on those days Lizzie, probably a school rule everywhere. I only lived on the estate by the school and often went home for Lunch. There were six kids in our family, so Mam cooked a "Proper Dinner" every day after school. I think if I remember correctly, I used to stay "School Dinners" on Mon, Wed and Friday. So my Chippy treat would be Tues or Thursday?

The Chipshop treat in the lunch time probably only happened once a week, and I bet we had to beg and plead Mam to let us do it. She was lovely and very easy to get round. :biggrin:

• Upvote 2

The Chippy in Wollaton Street, just up from the old Hippodrome/Gaumont. Back in the 50s, you could not keep my parents away from the place if in town. The fritters were out of this world.

I'm sure I've used this before somewhere.

chip_1.jpg

• Upvote 2

Funny how these old memories kick in, as teenagers we frequented the Mapperley fish bar, top of Bennet road, then when going into town on a Friday night as we grew older, it was a final call at the Kingfisher Mansfield road, usually chicken and chips though, or then if really hungry up Mansfield road and down to Pancho's fish bar for a large donner kebab with chips !

Still love donner kebabs when I head back to nottm, never can quite get one the same here in oz. Mmmmmm !

Mrs Gregory`s chippy in Rudd on the corner of High St and The Nook attracted we kids like moths to a flame and was THE place to be seen!! F and C were lovely, and the 2d fish bits were great value, especially with financial constraints of the time.

Cliff, ditto (also not quite mine, but my late father in laws........but does it matter?)

I think you personally do a marvellous job sourcing photographs and maps for others to enjoy and benefit, this site would be at a loss if you left.

You certainly earn your moderators salary.

BTW I still owe you a pint for helping me out on many occasions

• Upvote 1

A whole crowd of us would dash as quickly as we could from School all the way down to the Chipshop on the opposite corner to the Ritz picture house.Burton Road.

Were any of our Nottstalgians part of the group that used to go there at lunch time, and can you remember the name of the Chip Shop?

Apollo Fish Bar is still there but sadly not the Ritz!

Burton%20Rd%20-%20Google%20Maps_zpsjevv4

• Upvote 4

Think I told this story on the Trent Bridge school section, here it is again..

Mam gave me a shilling (5 pence) for my school din-dins at Trent Bridge, however a chippie round the corner on Bunbury Street did chips & peas for sixpence, (2&1/2 pence) I had that & pocketed the other tanner, a brilliant fraudulent scam. The chippie bloke mentioned to Mam about me being a good punter. I was questioned & my life of crime was exposed. I received a right good hiding. It was good while it lasted. :)

• Upvote 1

Carni ref #9 message , I would say the Wollaton Ave chippy probably opened 1964/5 . I left Gedling in 65 to go to Digby .

Thanks David, I remember about the shops along there, because I have stayed in contact over the years with my family still living on the estate. I was having a problem trying to remember the Chipshop during my school years! I know why now: because it wasn't there! I left in 1963. lol. Many thanks for solving that one for me.

I know i'm getting on a bit, because as a kid living in Gedling Village, My friend sueB48, little me and others would go and play up there, long before the school, shops and the Estate existed. :)

• Upvote 2

Cliff, ditto (also not quite mine, but my late father in laws........but does it matter?)

I think you personally do a marvellous job sourcing photographs and maps for others to enjoy and benefit, this site would be at a loss if you left.

You certainly earn your moderators salary.

BTW I still owe you a pint for helping me out on many occasions

Robbie, I totally agree with your comments regarding Cliff Ton. I've mentioned the same thing before in my posts and he's so important for what he brings to Nottstalgia.

Oh, Robbie, if there's anything I can do to help you out and get my free pint, just let me know... :biggrin:

• Upvote 1