Summer Holidays and Photos

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Me with my Mum and Dad. Same place, Mablethorpe, obviously different years ...... 1951 and 1954. Essential bucket and spade plus the Brownie Box Camera going on the beach too. There must have been a b

There's a long-running theory that everyone on Nottstalgia has met everyone else somewhere in the past. Look at LizzieM's two photos at #47, and then look at the location here. Same place, a few years

We went to Skegness and witnessed some totally disgusting behaviour on the beach. A man and woman were arguing in front of a load of kids. She smacked him one on the head and it all kicked off between

I scanned most if not all of them and saved them to a dvd and a usb drive.  Also to my Ipad and laptop so I can have a look at them easily once in a while.  Scanning was a very time consuming process.

I don't look at them very much it often just makes me sad.

• Upvote 1

Sorry to hear that, Loppy. Why does it make you feel sad?

I have scanned my old family photos and enjoy looking at them. As nonna said earlier, it beggars belief that so much time has passed. I must be getting old and motheaten because the past now seems more alive and vital to me than the present! :blink:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dave & Jill...some holiday snaps make me a little sad as my Parents are no longer..recently I was looking at photos of me in 1976 in Wales climbing Mount Plynlimon with my Dad..quite scarily in a pair of Dunlop green Flash!!

Jill 278.   Makes me feel sad because it is looking at a life that can never be again.

They cover our first years in Canada, my late wife is in so many of them and our two daughters right from babyhood to marriage.  I don't mean to suggest I'm not happy in my present marriage.  Simply that those early years in Canada seeing Niagara falls and the Rockies for the first time etc.  were some of the happiest days of my life.  Pulling those pictures up now brings on a deep sense of loss that can never be repaired.  Don't mean to sound melancholic thats just the way I am.  As Ian says, there are photos of my late mum and dad.  Even my first wedding fifty one years ago now.  Seems like yesterday, where did it all go?

Edited to add.  I re read your post and as you said   "I must be getting old and motheaten because the past now seems more alive and vital to me than the present! :blink: "   That sums up my feelings pretty well.  Those days are more real in my memory than many of the days I am living right now. 

• Upvote 4

Dave ,I hear you buddy. You had some great experiences when you left Nottm..and Canada is breathtaking.. I hopped in via the USA at Winnipeg.. Spent a week in Halifax/Brunswick and lil' old Shania Twain country!

Memories are truly captured in a photograph.

I've still got many snaps of family holidays to Devon and Cornwall, and others to the popular east coast resorts. 

However, they rarely evoke sadness, as I certainly wasn't very close to my mother, but I was happy at the time.

Maybe I'm not so morose as dad has been dead 40 years, and my mother 21 years. 

I love looking at my old photos and cine film (now put on DVD) even though it evokes a 'sweet sadness'. They remind me of who I once was - a little girl with all her life ahead of her and a loving mum and dad and later, a mum myself with 3 lovely children.  When I look at the photos/film, I'm back there again and can sometimes even feel what it was like.  That little girl is still part of me and I hope I've fulfilled her hopes for the future.  There's little I would change about my life (except perhaps some reckless behaviour in my late teens -  I think my Guardian Angel must have worked overtime to keep me safe!) and I do consider myself to be very fortunate in finding a life partner like Paul.  But, as others have said, there is still the reminder of times that can never be again - I suppose that's why we share our memories on here so when we are gone at least there'll be a little bit of us still around for others to read about.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

My sentiments exactly, Margie. I would change nothing about my life. I can't anyway! I too am able to relive what was happening when those old black and white photos were taken and it's a lovely feeling.

I, for one, would not live through my teenage years again, not if someone offered me the crown jewels. Those years and I just didn't mesh.

I'm just thankful to have been so fortunate. Still am fortunate. Absolutely nothing to complain about. Although it sounds a bit twee, I was brought up to count my blessings every day and not to hanker after things I didn't have. It's a sound philosophy I've always found. I have very rarely been unhappy. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 2

I agree with you both, Jill and Margie.  Like you, Jill, I have little desire to relive my teenage years.  They were not bad.  I suppose I was an odd-ball.  I looked forward to finding the right girl, marrying and settling down.  I didn't like the dating scene.  Met some nice gals, after all this was Nottingham.  Some not so nice.  Enough said.

I never mentioned the movies.  Got my first cine camera in Canada 1972.  Certainly shot a lot of film in the twenty years or so until video came in.  Copied all of that to dvds and sent them to my kids.  Maybe one day they might enjoy them.  Miles of super 8 film are also sitting in the closet along with the old cine projector.  I suppose it will end up in the dump when I am gone.  I can't bring myself to get rid of it.

Now there's miles of video tape.  Lol.  Even saved some to usb drives.

As noted I don't mean to sound melancholic.  I've had a good life and if I had to relive it I would probably do most of the same things again. I guess I'm fairly conservative and I don't mean that in any political sense.  :rolleyes:

• Upvote 2

Our grandchildren like to watch the old films of when their dads were small.  When he was about 3 or 4, one of our grandsons was watching a film of his dad aged 3 having fun playing with a football when we were on holiday and he said : "I want to play with my little daddy, Grandma".   He really wanted to be there, too!!   I found that really sweet and touching........ His grown up dad has always played football and other games with him but that obviously wasn't the same as playing with a daddy his own age!

• Upvote 1

I posted this in another thread a few years ago, but it fits here as well. It shows the early years of my life.

My dad took a lot pf photos when myself and sister were young;  looking at them today, I'm glad he did that. And I'm also glad that most of them have survived.

photo_1.jpg

• Upvote 3

I noticed Wrates cards amongst the pictures. These were the photographers in the garish striped jackets that used to patrol along Skeggy prom. 

I have hundreds of family photographs, some going back to my Grandfather and beyond,lots of my Father when a child in Mansfield.. His parents then split up...unusual at that time...1930's. He came to live near the Star on Nottm Road.

I have his school reports from Nottm and Woodford...he went to live with relations before the war...why I don't know..all I recall was that in the 70's when I visited them ,a lady had a soft top Morris Minor with a Morgan engine shoehorned in!!

Lots of RAF shots and crews etc..he was clever enough to write on the backs!

My Mother however was from poorer stock...not one photo of her..her Dad was a full time soldier in the 14th Army..she never saw him..my uncle told me a while back that he didn't own any underpants until 1948...when the Navy issued him some on submarines!

• 10 months later...

It was so much easier to pack for our holidays in those days. 1 little suitcase for the whole family cos we were lucky to have a change of clothes. Dads/granddads wore the usual suit etc, perhaps rolling up shirt sleeves if it was hot. Mums/grans usually had a summer weight frock. No sandals for the adults, what a luxury that would have been, a 2nd pr of shoes! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yes, I remember dad wore the same clothes on holiday, blazing mid-August, as he did any other time, jacket, trousers, pullover, shirt and tie, flat cap. With one exception, he swapped his normal shoes for what he called 'bumpers', like adult plimsoles. Then he was in holiday mode.

• Like 2

Exactly same as my Dad TBI...............he never had a short sleeved shirt......always wore a Vest,......in fact ,when he washed and shaved sometimes at the Kitchen sink..........he just rolled his sleeves up and tucked his collar in,.........don't imagine he ever had a shower.........just a Bath.

We holidayed in Rhyl when i was growing up,and stayed in the same boarding house every year........where all guests shared a Bathroom......never saw or imagined owt like en-suite..........in my mind i can still smell the soap forget the brand but it was brown with a Dimple in it,.......and was provided with a bowl for having a wash in the room.............

edit......the soap was Wrights Coal Tar..............

• Like 1

I loved the smell of Wrights coal tar soap. Apparently it is now made in Turkey and has no coal tar derivatives in it as the EU have banned its use in cosmetics. By Source, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=9156720

Wrights_Cold_Tar_Soap_Logo.png

What about the smell of Lifebuoy carbolic soap and the smell of phenol (carbolic acid) again extracted from coal tar

Image result for lifebuoy soap

• Like 2

Whilst were are on the subject of old photographs and the thoughtful family members who took the time to write on the back who and where it was taken.

I wonder in this digital age if our grandchildren will ever look at the digital images that we are collecting. I doubt it, but just in case they do it would be good for us to store them in groups with file names that mean something and actually name family photos with who is on them and when they were taken instead of just the file number set by the camera.

Anyone have other suggestions?

Thanks for that RR I guess I'll have to turn on the GPS function on my camera and see if it does the same downunder.

I wonder if the microphone attaches to a photo file too. I'll have a fiddle, otherwise I guess I'll have to incorporate the names of the people in the file name