Much more wants more.

Just switched on BBC east Midlands," who do you think you are'. It amazes me how much of your money 'Auntie' wastes!! Iam sure Jane Seymour has enough cash at her disposal to trace her own geneolgy. Why is the world so obsessed with adulating these people more? When did we cease finding an ordinary Joe Soap interesting or worthy? This level of intense research has been by a beeb runner in advance anyway. A forklifter from Lenton Sands could have an equally fascinating past,involving war,royalty, treason etc..I am sick to the back teeth of seeing well heeled (stars??) handed more..party favours etc..last year on Q of Sport some cricketer mentioned he liked the new Harley, next day a shop sent him one..bleddy gratis!! Some forklifter from Lenton Sands who would like one,would be deemed going through a midlife crisis or putting in some serious overtime to avail of such a machine!! HAIL the ordinary person!!... Spleen vented.

My mum used to say 'much shall have more', the way to get money is to have plenty first. Such as all the ridiculous sponsorship and advertising - as if Hollywood millionaires colour their hair at home using products under a fiver..............

• Upvote 6

Its all the way through the system. I respect athletes who train hard and do a good job at their sport but the pay is ridiculous for some. Folks in other fields work hard but do not get much pay or recognition. Eg. Musicians. Apart from some of the overpaid rappers. These might work for years to play an instrument and can hardly keep body and soul together.

• Upvote 4

Hilary had a $600 haircut the other week in NYC... And she claims to know how we poor live.....LOL

• Upvote 3

Not only in the uk, our tv "aunty ABC" have also been on the bandwagon, with our so called aussie stars , and Who do you think you are.

Thinking about it though, it's cheap tv to produce compared to big budget dramas, and Ancestry.com sponsor it big time, as it ecourages others to join and do the same so increasing their turnover and profits.

I actually did some of my family tree a few years ago and did join Ancestry for a year as it was a super special deal to join, but then it went to the full price which was ridiculous IMO, so I gave it away.

I also dont like the way they want to auto debit your credit card for payment.

• Upvote 2

Hilary had a $600 haircut the other week in NYC... And she claims to know how we poor live.....LOL

I do believe David Cameron pays £90 for his hair cut (we're all in this together :()

Mine costs £6 including a beard trim.

• Upvote 1

At Cilla's funeral yesterday, stories were told.

Cilla went into a posh clothes shop in Beverly Hills, and was interested in a suede coat.

"Ow mutch is this coat, Chuck?... Look theres a mark on the sleeve!"

The shop assistan offered to order a replacement for the next day.

"Oo no! we fly home tonight...How much for readies?"

Good on yer Cilla.

• Upvote 2

The system appears to be one of patronising for whatever reason. Seeking favour or advertising in some sense. I suppose the royal family is a prime example of this.

I always watch 'Who Do You Think You Are' and thoroughly enjoy the show. It never crosses my mind regarding the cost. It's good clean inoffensive entertainment and it certainly beats some of the anti government and anti establishment crap they churn out.

I appreciate that many 'Joe Public ' subjects have got fascinating backgrounds, but where do you start?

Anyway, long may it last.

• Upvote 1

I think if it was Joe Public as the subject of the show many people wouldn't watch.

If you're talking about the money that 'celebrities' receive then what about the ridiculous amounts that some footballers get.

• Upvote 2

I did like the series of programmes on VC winners that was shown several years ago. I think Jeremy Clarkson introduced one as it was about his father in law if I remember rightly.

I have to say I find the 'ordinary' more interesting, on Antiques Roadshow a while back; they focused on the background of a mans military medals.. not a General, just a footslogger and it was brilliant! I turned the TV off last night as I was so cross at seeing Jane "I only visit England" Seymour on that programme. You only find out where these people REALLY live when there is a tropical storm and their tax dodging mansion has blown down!! I would rather see ads on the BBC than anymore wealthy stars availing of freebies on YOUR license money!!

Re#11. He also presented a brilliant programme on the Royal Navy raid on St Nazaire harbour during WW2. Superb.
The whole country should be taught the amazing sacrifice that was given in two world wars by the ordinary men and women who despite unbelievable odds never ever gave in. There's a wonderful quote about working class families in WWI.
ALL gave some, but some gave ALL.
It's a pity more was not made of VJ Day. These poor chaps in the Far East REALLY suffered. Japan should have been TOTALLY flattened.
An old uncle of my dad's would never have anything in his home that was made in Japan. Can't fault it !

• Upvote 3

#8 and #14
Fly2 I agree on both of these points you make. I read an article about the making of Who do you think you are. It said they research the family history in parts with different people doing different bits but the researchers do not know who the subject of the programme is. A series about ordinary people would probably be less expensive to make and could bring out some equally interesting stories. The programme seems to have moved forward from describing research methods in great detail to describing history and living conditions. I learned a lot about the occupation of France.

On the subject of VJ day, my dad was a radio operator in the jungle above Kohima when people back home were celebrating VE day and having elections. He was very angry about being part of a forgotten army. I remember him talking about it. On Saturday 15th August I went with my son to the VJ service held at the war memorial in Kenilworth. It was very well done. My son never knew his grandfather but he knows a lot about him. The proper remembrance of VJ day and all the service personnel who were involved in that campaign is the very least we can do.

• Upvote 2
  • 8 months later...

Regarding the so called "Joe Public" and ancestry, I find the Heir Hunters series of programmes absolutely fascinating.

Good early morning viewing.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

You wouldn't like it in my home then, catfan. If we are watching TV my wife and I like watching a good game of football or a boxing/UFC match. We also like the History, Geography, Discovery, Science, Yesterday and the Solar System programmes. My wife also likes to watch Murder She Wrote so I record them for her to watch when I'm busy doing things. If we watch daytime TV then it'll be ITV with Dickinson's Real Deal, Tipping Point, The Chase and then the News. We don't like watching any of the Soaps but understand that millions of others do. We also like watching Blockbusters (Could I have a P please, Bob :)) and have a few recorded. We try to beat each other by shouting out the answers. Some of you will be looking down your noses at us but we have a laugh and we have fun. We used to like watching nature programmes but over the years it's become too graphic when animals kill each other and we stopped watching them a long while ago. Yes, I am aware that the lion can't go to the supermarket for it's meat, it's just that we don't want to watch the kill close up. People watch what makes them happy and that's all that matters. :biggrin:

• Upvote 3