How many tossers are there on Nottstalgia, or do you just flip?

How do you like yours, traditional, lemon and sugar or the more exotic?

Me I like the thick scotch pancakes with a dollop of icecream, sliced banana and some maple syrup. The thin and crispy ones I like with freshly sqeezed orange, or a savoury filling of creamy curried chicken. Yum Yum

I'm off to make some now......

Oh yes me? .........I'm a tosser!!!! ;)

• Upvote 4

Lemon juice and sugar on mine tonight. Yummy

I'm a tosser and sometimes a scraper upper as well. Just about to go into the kitchen at 4.15pm and start tossing. We have about 3 or 4 each, with either Lemon / Orange juice and sugar or Golden syrup. That will be tea today, we never have room for anything else! :)

• Upvote 4

Lemon juice and sugar for us.

When we were kids we always had a competition to see which one of us could eat the most pancakes.

Pancakes are said to have been invented in Linby. They were cooked in honour of the women of the village who fought off Danish invaders after their husbands had fled. Typical wimpy men!!! How true is that story then?

• Upvote 4

I can just visulise a 'Viking' long boat coming down the river Leen in Linby Lizzie,.........and have you seen the women in Linby?.....no wonder their husbands fled and the Danes did'nt hang about either.......................only joking Linby ladies........one of my oldest friends lives their with his wife.

• Upvote 3

I love both but my grandchildren go mad for scotch pancakes. I always make double qty because as they are ready they are wolfed down. Last time I made them I prepared twice the double qty, I only had chance to eat a couple and my daughter ate 4. My dad made me a griddle years ago and I wouldnt swap it for the world. Couldnt make them today as plumber was still in the house.

• Upvote 1

You are right Lizzie about the Linby ladies .

Though the old news stories , (earliest 1883 ) doesn't say they invented the pancake but all pledged to cook them on Shrove Tuesday before murdering the invading Danes on Ash Weds. Interestingly they also called the pancakes "fritters" in these old stories .

This seems a good account :

http://www.lookandlearn.com/blog/25572/pancake-races-are-preludes-to-the-serious-fasting-of-lent/

• Upvote 5

Sorry but I must just wander off topic, re # 10 That article you found has jogged my memory because I used to have Look & Learn every month (or however frequently they were published) and I had COMPLETELY forgotten about them. I never found them when I emptied my Dad's house either.

• Upvote 2

I think I remember the Look and Learns too.

Coincidentally, my dad always told me that his side of the family originated from the Vikings.....I wonder if that was when we landed at Linby docks? :crazy:

• Upvote 3

#13 LizzieM my dad used to buy Look and Learn for me from a paper shop in the city when he was on his way to his night shift. Thanks for reminding me! Did you have Understanding Science? That was good too.

We had lots of fun together making pancakes tonight. I made the pancakes and my husband did the salmon, mushroom and dill filling. Hollandaise sauce over the top! Back to the low fat diet tomorrow.

• Upvote 1