It seam's that when you are a Nottm person and you get an Evening Post the first thing you do is turn to the Bereavements page.

In last nights post in the memoriam section was a dedication to Raymond Larvin, now if you ever shopped at Sneinton Market the Larvin family used to have a fruit and veg store and were very well known. Ray and Sylvia used to drink in the Blue Bell on Robin Hood St. off Alford St. This is how we knew them.

What was amazing was that it is 31 years since Ray passed away, how time fly's.

I remember his Funeral if I've got this right there was a Black carriage with four Black horses and at least 10 black car's following the police had to stop all the traffic in Bulwell so the Funeral could get through.

R.I.P.

Ray

31 years it only seam's like yesterday.

• Upvote 2

It certainly does Mary,i saw Ray's bit in the bereavments yesterday along with my friends who passed away a few days ago,he actually new Ray better than i did,

Funnily enough ive been 'dog sitting' last two days at my sons house that overlooks Bulwell cemetery,and as i look over it my mind goes back to my Grandads funeral in 1960 which does'nt seem 56 years ago,watched a West Indian burial yesterday,..........singing,music,drinks and laughter,,,,,,,,,way to go ey.

• Upvote 5

The first page I turn to in the Loughborough is the "deaths"

and see if I'm mentioned hellothere

Seriously though there is someone I have known in the past each week on this particular page.

And me Loppy,everything with hindsight eh ,....can't believe if i'm very very lucky my next milestone is 80........just keep right on to the end of the road,..cut down on fags,booze and women a bit.............lol.

• Upvote 4

Fags went ages ago...............................biding my time on the other 2, although now it's woman not women..............

• Upvote 2

You must get out more Paulus,.............only joking mate like ya style..............lol.

• Upvote 3

Hi Benjamin 1945

Don't give up on what you enjoy just be pleased that you wake up each morning, even though you are reaching 80 enjoy life.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Mary,...........80 next milestone i'm just a lad of 71,.....and i'll keep enjoying life.......i like to think ive still got summat,know i aint really......but makes me feel good,and we all need that as years go by,.........

• Upvote 2

What was that saying?...................ah yes, "you're as old as the woman you feel"................I'd get arrested!!

• Upvote 1

56 Mine Paulus,said i'd never live with a woman over 50,........she just refuses to go...........know when they are on a good thing don't they,.........lol.

Same age as me Ben. That worra good year that wore! :->

What month? I was November?

Once had a preacher come over to see us. We got to talking birthdays, and, long story short. He and I were born on the same day and year.

• Upvote 1

Born 1945 March,.........wife was 1959 november,.......funny just realised all my wives were born in the 50s,.......lovely girls..........lol.

• Upvote 1

Geeeee Ben, you are a glutton for punishment...Wives...LOL I had a few years spell between my first and second wife. I lived it up between, had a load of fun, and a few randy G/F's, now I have to behave "mesen" or I won't see my next "birfday"...

• Upvote 2

Time sometimes scares me,I often log periods of my past with songs or films; this helps me pinpoint certain occurrences from my youth.

Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty= painting a blokes house on Noel Street whilst he worked at Brough Superior,I purchased News of the World by Queen out of the proceeds of that.

Aberystwyth= Devils Bridge and Mike Posts Rockford Theme.

I often look at tennis matches from the past..with the scorched grass and think - that was 41 years ago!!

Conversations in primary School remain vivid to this day= I had an argument with miss Bowler because I knew what Criterion meant!!

(I collected match boxes and that was a brand then.)

Where indeed does time go?

My youngest child is 18 this year..I remember Antoinette telling me she was pregnant/ I was repairing a railway crossing in Charleville.

She rang me on a brick phone!!

I often think though,that I have not achieved anything really significant,Steve Miller got it right.

Time certainly moves faster as you get older. It's scary if you let it be, but you just have to accept that you've got no choice.... there is no handbrake and no reverse gear. We're all on a one way trip!

Best to just enjoy it much as you can. :)

Col

• Upvote 2

The thing is, you can't spend your life worrying about getting old. You just have to enjoy every day that you have left.

There's an old saying that 'time flies' and it certainly seems to as you get older. I always think that you should be happy with what you've got and not be miserable about what you haven't got.

The poorest of us all is still rich compared to those who've known nothing but war and famine during their lifetime.

It's not until you sit and think of events in your life, like schooldays for instance, that you realise how time has flown by.

• Upvote 5

Exactly Michael.

And also, though life can be tedious and even miserable at times, it is still life!. As I've sometimes been known to observe, it 'beats the crap out of being dead'.

I don't mind admitting that I can get pretty morose at times. Thinking back to younger days can sort of make it worse, until I remind myself that I'm recalling things that I was priveleged to experience. Expecting to experience them again is pretty greedy.

Just a couple.

When I was very small.. maybe 3 or 4, I wandered across Southglade Road to the Hawthorn hedge that used to line the 'field' side, very early one Spring or Summer morning and picked the green shoots of the Hawthorn to eat. I don't recall Mum being worried about traffic. We called the shoots 'Bread and Cheese'.

On many similar mornings, I recall the whistling of Skylarks, and the sight of them hovering. Also, the loud 'hum' of millions of Bees and other insects in those fields.

You just don't hear it now. We were priveleged.

One day I'll write a book... ;)

Col

• Upvote 2

As mother used to say when I started moaning about anything "go and stand outside Redhill Gates (cemetery) every one of them in there would change places with you in an instant."

'Garden as if your going to live forever' live each day as if its your last

• Upvote 3

DJ360 #22

Sounds are very evocative of memories and like you I love to hear the sound of the Skylark, or the Blackbird in the dawn chorus, the first cuckoo of spring, the hoot of an owl.

Industrial sounds also make up part of that memory, the noise of the slag as it lands from the overhead ropeway buckets on to the pit tip, the sound of the "blower" hooter at the local colliery, the sound of a Gardner engined bus struggling up the local hill, the rattle of the Co-op or Northern Dairy's electric milk floats, the chug of a John Hawker barge as it plows down the Trent.

Each one of these brings back good memories of simpler times

• Upvote 3
  • 11 months later...

Part of my National Service was at the Royal Military Academy at Sandhurst where I made friends with Ray Larvin of the Lincolnshire Light Infantry from Nottingham. He said his family were involved in the fruit and vegetable business in Nottingham. The years would include 1961 and 1962.

I once went to find Ray and family at 26 Westgate, Old Basford only to find that they had gone on a holiday to Great Yarmouth. My Christmas card for 1963 was returned saying that the property had been demolished in 1963.

• Upvote 1