On 5/8/2019 at 8:27 PM, IAN123. said:

Devoured books as a nipper( Lending Library thread.)sisson-and-parker-1.jpgeven when Athena gategrashed the first floor..spent some dollars on Winsor & Newton and hogs and sables.

Greatly missed.

Wasn't there three floors? 

• Like 1

Yes the Decca one is nice..have some Decca cardboard stones stuff..a ceiling mobile for this 1969 compilation.lf-1.jpg

• Like 1

4 floors at one time..basement, ground.first and an upper first level past the paper and sheets of A1.

On 3/1/2019 at 1:58 AM, IAN123. said:

The Electricity Board Showroom was demolished on Carrington Street...to make way for Broad Marsh re-developments.48371821-2576603522355898-77246330112531

Can hear my Grandad saying 'What do think this is!  Blackpool Illuminations! 

• Like 1

Bought that album in a charity shop about 1990

Just down from the Odean..was it British Heart Foudation ?

• Like 1

Could have been then..near the Bell.

Got four or five versions of that..even on the Pax label..Tel Aviv..i think?

I seem to remember on the second floor of Sisson and Parker there was a section where us young boys could re-plenish the used chemicals and glass ware from our chemistry sets, this would be mid sixties,I should imagine these days it would be classed as supplying equipment for use in the illegal drug trade or classed as bomb making equipment,how times have changed

Rog

Suggs for Sports.gettyimages-464506337-612x612.jpg..early 1960s...think this became Pen Sense..next to the famous Virgin shop.

Not sure if this is the correct thread to ask on, but i'm after info on a cafe that used to be next to Woolworths opposite C and A, a small doorway entrance and downstairs to what I assume was underneath Woolies or WH Smith? Was quite a large place with a 60's / 70's decor. And what is it now?

Long gone I'm afraid Martin. I think it was under Smiths. It was ok for breakfast or a snack, but was pretty well patronised, despite being rather  dated.

15 hours ago, Martin Lock said:

i'm after info on a cafe that used to be next to Woolworths opposite C and A, a small doorway entrance and downstairs to what I assume was underneath Woolies or WH Smith? Was quite a large place with a 60's / 70's decor. And what is it now?

Obviously Woolies disappeared several years ago, and I don't remember exactly who occupied which unit, but was it this entrance ?  Woolies would've been on the left and WHS on the right.

tNgfQ1c.jpg

That whole area is a bit of a ghost town now. With Broad Marsh Centre effectively dead, there's no reason for anyone to go there unless they're going through to the railway station or beyond. And there isn't anything beyond.

• Upvote 1

I've been shocked at the state of that end of town in recent visits to Nottingham. Getting to and from the station is like negotiating an obstacle course. Does anyone know what the intended outcome of all that construction work is, when it's intended to be finished and if Broad Marsh Centre will ever open again?

They're a little bit behind :Shock: and they keep changing their minds about what's going to be there.

Broad Marsh Centre is still open but with improvement works going on.

The work is to build a new Bus station and to extend Broad Marsh shopping area.

Closing Collin Street to traffic and paving it over.

New car park, Central Library and lots of other developments in the surrounding area.

Thanks Stuart. It certainly didn't look as though it would be finished any time soon when I was there a few weeks ago....in fact, there didn't seem to have been any change since I was last there in October!

On 6/8/2019 at 1:40 PM, Bilborough Girl said:

Does anyone know what the intended outcome of all that construction work is, when it's intended to be finished and if Broad Marsh Centre will ever open again?

This is the official Council Propaganda version of what will happen. I'm not convinced it won't turn out to be a massive white elephant.

https://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/media/456785/broadmarsh-artists-impressions.pdf

Effectively the Broad Marsh centre blocked off the route to Trent Bridge and I am sure it was a factor in the awful destruction of Arkwright Street. West Brigeford is flourishing and the Trent is a lovely place to be. How stupid was it to close off a perfectly functioning road which was the main route to the river and the football and cricket grounds. Furthermore, I could imagine that Arkwright Street could have been a street of boutique shops and curio places, micro pubs and a delight to walk along. 

• Upvote 2

Similar to the Shambles in York, or The Lanes in Brighton !

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mercurydancer said:

I do miss Sisson and Parker. I recall the beautiful staircase. Second only to the Co Op 

As I recall there was also a beautiful staircase in Griffin and Spalding ( now Debenhams) but it seems to have disappeared.

30 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I always got lost in Griffin and Spalding's. Not a shop to easily get out of if there was a fire!

I have always got lost in that shop too, still do and invariably have to ask an assistant where to find different departments so I rarely venture in what is now Debenhams.  The whole interior needs gutting, there are too many steps and sloping creaky floors.  

Yes, it’s a maze. I’ve not been in for many years. The Lincoln Debenhams is a much better modern store - if it’s still there!

Given the financial state of Debenhams I doubt they'd spend millions on levelling it out, if they own the building.

If it's owned by others, then Debenhams wouldn't be able to justfiy the massive rent increase.

That building will be destined for a few small shops with many luxury flats above it.

The 9 flats above Wheeler Gate Sainsbury started from £160k when they were converted. (building not owned by Sainsbury)

There's probably potential for 50 or more .

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

I always got lost in Griffin and Spalding's. Not a shop to easily get out of if there was a fire!

I always had the same problem with Pearsons on Long Row. A lot of small spaces on different levels; holes knocked through walls to connect one old building with another, and a couple of steps up or down; and quite a few departments with no windows or daylight.