Good for when you entertain the family hordes at Christmas?

13 hours ago, Bilborough Girl said:

Anyone remember Rains electrical shops? There was one on Carrington Street and another on either Hockley or Goosegate - can't remember which. There may have been others around the city too. They belonged to a cousin of my husband. My parents bought my first record player from the Carrington Street shop as a Christmas present for me, long before I married into the family.

I don't remember them, but this is from the early 60s.

c91qK7S.jpg

This is Strawbridges on Derby Rd..194968472-1-320-320-FFFFFF.jpgThis huddle of shops i think are still here..updated of course..the N0.1 peas were?

• Like 1

Looking back over the Randoms thread..i noticed a street poster for a 19" square TV...from these.155420-main-Image.jpgDon't recall a Rentaset branch..but i had the toy.Matchbox-No62-B-TV-Service-Van-Rentaset-

• Like 1

On 11/19/2018 at 8:10 PM, Cliff Ton said:

There were several branches of Millers electrical stores in the 70s & 80s. This is Lower Parliament Street .

UQHGAEK.jpg

I was Warehouse manager here when it first opened. Parking was near impossible in the area sdo I used to cycle in each morning.  Kept me nice and fit and with the added bonus of being able to go to the NTMC for several pints and a sing-song on Friday nights after working until 8pm.  The bike ride home was usually an adventure after the evening in the pub :)

• Like 2

Even though I posted the photo I don't remember that branch. I'm sure I remember one further up Huntingdon Street near the old bus station.

12 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

Even though I posted the photo I don't remember that branch. I'm sure I remember one further up Huntingdon Street near the old bus station.

I think that might have been Bridgers Discount Electricals, opposite the bus station.. '80s.

12 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

Looking to the left of the picture near the top was the Palais and behind the bus was the old  central market at the end of the building was a petrol station.so really, you are only a couple of hundred yards away.

2 minutes ago, TBI said:

I think that might have been Bridgers Discount Electricals, opposite the bus station.. '80s.

That's what I was thinking of !

I do recall Millers..and just further up a Dance/ fit type studio. Sure there is a pic on here when that was Central Garage..or Market Garage..might be confused.  I only went home that way after overtime to nip in Jaceys for a half. Recall that Antibo's disaster of an eaterie used to be packed!

Miller Bros used to be the Central Garage. Some weeks after the opening there was a problem with the toilets. The toilet drain seriously overflowed into the store warehouse, once the garage workshops area. Lots of damage was done to the goods. The owners saw an opportunity here and decided to add lots more stuff to the list of damage for the insurance claim; they even brought stuff from other stores to add to the pile. Someone, who shall remain nameless, was outraged by the flagrant deceit, had a quiet word with the loss adjuster - who had already noted discrepancies in types of damage.  That someone was later given a new TV and video by said adjuster as a thank you for his honesty.  Anyway, I digress; the point I was going to make was that flooding continued for some time until it was noticed that the pavement outside had, at some point, been dug up and work had been carried out all the way along the side of the old garage. It turned out that a new drain had been installed along the roadside and in the process, the sewage drain from the (Then abandoned) garage, had been cut completely through and left disconnected. As a result, there was nowhere for the sewage to go except up the drain hatches in the warehouse.  Half a day's work by the council finally put things right.

.......... and being a true, adoptive, Scot he’s still watching that TV and using that recorder to this very day. It’s in colour now do you ken.

Meadow Dairy and Judge's Bread & Cake shop.68939-1-280-99999-unpad.jpgJudges had another shop..much lower down on Mansfield Rd.

It had a beautiful 1920's tearoom..Bluecoat schoolkids loved the warm minature Hovis loaves...so you had to be in sharpish!

Blimey, that brings back some memories. Andos had a passage down the left of the shop where folks took rags/old cloths to be weighed. My dads shop was two doors to the right of Andos, he sold his shop to Reg King (the bookmaker/ boxing/wrestling promoter) who eventually got his money back from dad, due to his fondness of gambling!.My grandmas cafe was a further two shops along, next door to Nobles the cleaners, formally some tyre place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bilborough Girl said:

I think Judges also had a shop on Plains Road in the early 50s when we lived in Mapperley. 

It’s now Bread & Bitter pub with the bread ovens still in situ

• Upvote 1