Deep Shelter on Mansfield Road?

Well I spoke to my friend who used to live there a few years back. (I think he said it was number 58).

Apparently the caves were broken into many times he mentioned. His best memory was when two young female University students were invited to take a tour and he was nominated to be their guide. He managed to rope a mate in to even up the numbers and they planned whereabouts the two couples could split up down there.

A fairly amorous time was had apparently..!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The entrance.     I’ve posted this before & I apologise for interfering with your ‘Keep One’ & ‘How's Your Day’ & ‘Jokes’ etc, but behind those doors is:  

Been down the peel Street sand mines... There's loads of it, it's pretty deep from the entrance but on some levels you can hear tvs from houses above..... Been down the Mansfield road mine too which c

i`ve been down the air raid shelter behind the grill on mansfield road you can reach the cellars of some of the houses above......my wife used to live on st andrews road which is on the same side of mansfield road running up to the old childrens hospital and in the gardens of her house was another way in to the same air raid shelter(with abit of crawling)she and her family played all the time in there as kids(what a den eh?).....the ones across the road in the grave yard are in the witches hole....not much really just a 100m part circlar passage

• 4 months later...

Hi all, I just put my twopennorth in another thread,,,,, but now that i've seen this, i'll duplicate it here.

Hope no one minds,,,,,

There used to be a wrought iron gate across a wooden door on Mansfield Road - just about opposite the Forest entrance. Just inside the gate, there were a few steps leading down to the door. This was usually filled up with leaves & litter etc. It was in the grounds of a large private house of some sort.

My mate & I were looking into a few of these underground passages (more later) so we went to ask permission to go down there,,,, which was readily granted, tho’ the lady did say that she didn’t know what it was, and that it went ‘nowhere’.

Inside it was quite big,,,,, but all the passages had been bricked up. She said that we could take a few bricks out of each wall (about 5 of them if my memory is correct) I think she was as interested as we were. Unfortunately – it didn’t get done,,,, or certainly not by me – but I always did wonder what it was & where it went.

I know that you old ‘uns will have seen this gate, as it was about 5ft square and was just at the side of the pavement.

I have just looked at Google Earth, but it looks like both the house & entrance have since vanished,,,,,

Does anyone know where this did lead to in it’s day ?

• 2 years later...

OK I dont know if anybody else is aware of this however I'm trying to find information about a supposed underground station on Mansfield road. my grandad use to tell me that one was built somewhere near the graveyard and the deep shelter entrance in the 50s to connect with Victoria however was never opened as it was being discussed back then about Victoria station being closed so the station was abandoned nr or just after completion. he always use to tell me that its entrance connected somewhere with the entrance of the steps leading down from Mansfield road and that it was sealed by big iron doors. i always took it as just a story until i heard from a train driver @ my old workplace (Nottingham train station) about a year ago telling a very similar story but that the entrance was later bricked up and still is to this day. Ive begun asking about and my kids mothers grandad who has always lived in st Ann's told me that there was indeed a station quietly built there during during the 50s and that some of the people working on the project at the time lived in the local area but wouldn't comment much more about it other than confirming that it was left intact and the entrance sealed. Ive been searching sometime about this without much luck until i came across your thread. i dont know if this is real or not but seeing as 3 completely different people unconnected or known to each other have told me this I'm trying to find anything to back up if it is true and if so if there is any other entrances. was anything seen down there bricked up big enough to be an entrance. and has anybody else ever heard or aware of any stories that defiantly or possibly relate to this?? any help greatly appreciated thanks. also is anybody aware of any info or images showing the inside the old large underground storage depot on Manvers Street which is still there under the old station site?

I think the house and gate you mentioned on Mansfield Rd is still there i pass by it on the bus as i am going into town, also isnt there a tunnel with a statue of Daniel in the lions den in it i heard about this from a cemetry worker aparrently he had been down it and seen the statue

Blade: I think you will find a lot of information in this thread if you read through it. Check the links that take you to a P.D.M.H.S. article regarding the sand mines along Mansfield road - which may, in fact, be what your grandfather was referring to.

I have deleted your thread in 50's Nottingham as it is a duplicate of this - you will find there is no need to post the same question in multiple threads as most members will search for new content - and it becomes a little annoying to find the same thing three times!

Welcome to Nottstalgia - and enjoy browsing all the info here.

HI ALL

I KNOW ITS NOT CAVES OR TUNNELLS BUT THE SAME AREA RECENTLY PARKED AT THE TOP END OF NORTH SHERWOOD ST AND SAW A SMALL GATE WITH A PLACQU SAYING JEWISH CEMERTARY ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS IT MUST BE VERY SMALL ONLY ABOUT THE SIZE OF A SMALL GARDEN BIG WALL WITH A GATE IN I HAD NEVER SEEN OR HEARD ABOUT THIS TOO.

There is an entrance to caves in someones garden on Palk Row near the Ropewalk.

You walk down steps with carved sandstone balistrades. the cave at the bottom has a similar statue and

small windows overlooking the Tennis Courts and Park Estates.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The Nottingham Caves Survey is in the process of recording all of Nottingham’s 450+ sandstone caves.

Sure the Evening Post come here for there stories ?

Wednesday, February 09, 2011, 17:15

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/news/Explore-Nottingham-s-cave-network-university-s-3D-video-simulations/article-3205172-detail/article.html