Old department store - Farmers

The Nottstalgian who used to work at Farmer's is BilboroughShirley.  I'm sure she'll be along soon to confirm it. The subject has been mentioned before in several threads, and at least one of them includes this photo.

farmer.jpg

• Upvote 3

That's an old one Ian........ Early 60's radio, but I'm at a loss to know who said it. 

Another great photo of Farmers.  I loved working there.  In the paper patterns department, above the racks of drawers where patterns were stored was a display of two dress forms.  The large one was on display with the box beside it and there was a smaller one in its box.  I went up to the department one time and the large dress form was there but the box was gone.  I asked where the box was and was told that one of the assistants had sold it!  No folded up model inside!  An empty box!  Nobody came back to complain about being sold an empty box so we decided that it must have been wrapped up and posted to someone as a present without looking inside.

#3  Ian, you mention a scandal.  Did someone in your family buy the box?

It's amazing really Cliff, because it's certainly in a prime location.

When I worked there between 1969 and 1971 the shop was always busy, as was Exchange Walk. At that time there were lots of good small shops in the surrounding area.  Times and shopping trends have changed.  Farmers closed in 1972 and most of the staff transferred to the new Scan Superstore shop at the far end of the Victoria Centre.  The Farmers building was very old.  The upper floors were in need of serious renovation. I remember being sent up to the room where all the display things were stored and I was shocked at the state of it.

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

#7  This is a great photo and having read the posts here I felt inspired to record some memories.  There are lots of memories so I will post them as chunks.

Part 1

Farmers shop in Nottingham 1969 to 1971.

When standing by the Council House the main entrance to Farmers was the double glass doors opposite.  Above these on the first floor the large windows were in the coats department.  To the left of the main entrance was a smaller door that led into the linens department.  Above this the windows are in the upstairs underwear and nightwear department. Exchange walk was to the right of the building where there were three more entrances for customers and the staff entrance. The first led into the main shop downstairs, beside racks of curtain materials.  I was told that on one occasion a shop lifter came in through that door, picked up a roll of curtain material and ran out with it.  They were not caught.  Further down Exchange Walk was the door leading into the downstairs underwear department and the entrance to the children’s department.  These had once been small separate shops and they had been taken over by Farmers.  Also in Exchange Walk there was a staff entrance where we clocked in each morning and afternoon and an entrance to the stock rooms that were up two flights of stairs.    

Entering through the main doors, to the right was the entrance to the haberdashery department and straight ahead were two counters facing each other.  The counter on the right had the “fancy” goods, gloves scarves and other accessories.  These were laid out on the counter in sections divided up using glass.  This was the first counter I worked on.  On the counter facing us was where the nylon stockings were sold. These were all laid out on the counter.  Behind this were racks of rolls of cotton and silk material.  This was sold by the yard and staff had to be trained to do this.  I never worked on the cottons, silks or curtain material counters as I was temporary staff and filled in where needed in all other departments.   The counters for cutting the material were across the far side of the shop and down the left hand side as you viewed from the main doors.  I think some of the staff trained to sell material by the yard transferred to Griffin and Spalding when Farmers closed and moved to the new Scan shop.  In the far corner of the room was the door leading to the porter/caretaker’s room.  There were two porters who were always cheerful and friendly.  One of them was called Gilbert and he often had a good laugh with us.  Sadly he was taken ill with a heart attack (I think it was summer 1970) and he died.  We were so upset.  We were allowed to purchase goods with staff discount at certain times of the day and these would be kept in the porters room for us to collect at the end of the day.  Mr Bettinson (I hope this spelling is correct) was manager of the linens department.  He was a very nice man and in quiet moments he would ask how my exams were going. The towels they sold in his department were lovely.  One day a lady came in and asked for some “nylon under slips” and I carefully directed her to the downstairs underwear department.  She came back a few minutes later laughing.  She had meant nylon pillowcases to put on under the main pillowcase!  I had some good laughs with lots of very nice customers.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

There was something similar in another thread a while ago. No idea which one, but the picture was a horse and cart, if I remember rightly; the horse appeared to have six legs, and there were phantom people on the pavements. Something to do with cameras and shutters/speed? I think!

2 hours ago, carni said:

I was wondering what the ghostly image in the middle of the road is. Any ideas?

Almost certainly just someone crossing the road. In those blurry examples, the photographer would've been using a fairly lengthy exposure (especially in Victorian times) so anyone in the shot will have moved quite a distance whilst the shutter was open.

• Upvote 2

No, I agree with loppylugs it's a Tesco shopping trolley

IIRC you only had to put a farthing in the slot to release it

• Upvote 1