• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Thanks Loppy, don't worry i always know when to back off, i never was very ''physical at the job ,mostly (not always) my verbals and sense of humour got me thru,.over the years saw many ''wanna be'' plain clothes operators come unstuck, thinking they were tough guys,they never lasted long ,my Motto was/is  ''never bite off more than you can chew''

Believe or not the job can be funny and exhilarating  also satisfying  and you meet all sorts and sometimes help them kick their habit, just loved the Buzz it gave me, and still need it, bit of edge to life if you know what i mean.........

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, benjamin1945 said:

Got home and saw on the internet a Store Detective job advertised,  rang them, seemed to go well, possible interview after my holiday,  could be another new beginning ,love to do it again ,

Most people who are still working are counting the days to when they can retire.....you are counting down to when you can start working again.  Living life in reverse. ;)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Thats just me Cliff ton , i realise its not normal.......and think good luck to folk who retire and enjoy it..........i just still need ''The Buzz'' probably because i was lucky enough to really enjoy what i did ,always a different place with different people ,and the travel,    Can't pretend to like sitting at home, plus don't really have any hobbies ,not interested even remotely in DIY, or computer stuff, need to get out and about and dressed up ,saying i don't have hobbies is probably wrong if you count,wearing nice clothes and chatting to people especially mature Ladies who like good clean casual banter:rolleyes: 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Just cast your mind back a few weeks Benjamin, when the rain was lashing against the bedroom window, and it was still dark at 9.

I just rolled over and had another hour, or came on NS and had a coffee in bed...... Brilliant !

• Like 2

Just had a visit from my "Consultants en Conception de Jardin" (Garden Design Consultants) - actually two old blokes from the village who do the gardening for me.

The ground is very difficult here, the main soil (where there is any) is very shallow and more like grit than the rich brown loam I was used to in the UK and any stuff suitable for growing plants has to be brought in.

Anyway, should be some good ideas coming up soon.

Something I find quite odd here, though. The locals seem to have something of an obsession with coleus plants (the nettle type things with brightly coloured leaves). I planted some several years ago from seed I brought with me from the UK and they seemed to be a big hit with the locals such that they want me to get some more for them to grow themselves. They are available here but not in the bright colours that Thompson & Morgan do.

26 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

Just cast your mind back a few weeks Benjamin, when the rain was lashing against the bedroom window, and it was still dark at 9.

I just rolled over and had another hour, or came on NS and had a coffee in bed...... Brilliant !

I know what you mean Fly, and often ive thought Bugger it'' then dragged mesen out of bed showered shaved two fags 4 coffees (or should that be the other way round), then dressed in me finest and hit the road,

Yes i must be mad  lol.

• Like 1

I loved all my jobs, but once I was 65, I cleared my locker and that was it. I've been back a couple of times, but not for about four years as there were a couple of folk I wanted to see . 

• Like 1

I dont knock anyone for that Fly ,in fact probably a bit jealous, the day will come when my body tells me ''stop Ben'' until then gonna keep at it, at the moment i work weekends my interviewing work as been sparse,but will come back ,couple of days SD work per week would suit me fine , same as i say we all different,

• Upvote 1

Shopping early (06.00) got home unpacked and put away,quick cup of coffee then set too taking out all the glass panes from the green house roof,cleaned out all the moss out that had built up over the winter months,fitted new rubber seals cleaned the glass and all fitted back, raised bed in green house filled with fresh compost and given a good soaking and covered over with bubblewrap (no, not our Bubblewrap), greenhouse heater wick trimmed and ready for action,wetroom floor in the shower/bathroom painted with waterproof floor paint and now looking very good, Mrs P's dinner cooked ready for her return from the gym,time to sit down and have a breather, phew.

Rog

• Like 4

I am like Ben in a way, I love what I do and without bragging I am good at it well I should be started in Jan 62 so have had plenty of time to practice. Meeting different folks every day and problem solving

At 71 I am beyond the physical side of things and only get in the way, but I love the design and pricing work, do all the paperwork, and just love it when a younger fitter rings up for advice.

I have a friend, a joiner owned 4 rental properties he retired at 65 a few years back and two years later he rang me to say could I do some work for him as he was refurbing another property. When I asked why he replied "Retire and die, I bloody hated it" he now owns 7 rental properties.

• Like 2

Ben not Bella Donna, donna bellissima and I'm sure you'll make una bella coppia. 

You men listen all women are beautiful .if you think they are too expensive stop paying but I'm sure it will stop the pleasure of giving.

• Like 1

Thanks nonna ,love Spanish, Italian, words ,i try to remember several nationalities words of Greetings and cheerios,,sometimes (well mostly) get em mixed up,but they like the fact that i try,, have a lot to do with Libyans at work.....and the older ones still speak Italian,,from when Italy had a lot of influence there..

I start by asking one of their teenage kids how to say certain words in Arabic,,then use it on the others,come unstuck a few times,they've taught me words i should'nt say to ladies saying it meant something else (little buggers) all good fun though.

By the way nonna  ,Donna bellissima will get right good wooing'' on holiday,cos she is my Abibi'' (arabic)  lol.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I more or less retired from electrical contracting in 1990 when  I went into the ministry.  There seems to be no official retirement age in that calling.  Some guys leave at 65 other's hang on 'til the day they die if they can still think and speak clearly.  I'm sort of in between.  I'm not officially employed by our church but just step in when the pastor has to be away for any reason.  I teach the adult Bible class each Sunfay and a lot of it is pretty serious stuff but we do enjoy a bit of banter and coffee and donuts at least once a month.

I think they just like my accent.  :biggrin:

I'm pretty much done with electrical.  I do not hold a license in Ga.  It didn't seem worth going to the trouble for what little bit I would do.

Edited to add.  You'd be alright with greetings here in Ga. Ben it's usually just, Hey!  Or Hey ya'll if there is more than one.  Lol.

• Like 1

You and a few others on here Loppy,would enjoy a Forum called ''Quara'' its American based,where questions are posed and folks reply, its very international and an eye-opener as to what different Nationalities think of each other and themselves with humour, Geography,, History,, Politics,,Religions,, and much more.......have a look......

• Like 1

Once went to Bognor for a couple of weeks.  I was sent on a course at the Lec refrigerator factory by the Electricity Board.  Lec used to make refrigerators for the EMEB.  They allowed us to take our wives so apart from the time at the factory each day it was like a little paid holiday.  In the late 60s Bognor seemed like a genteel place where the elderly went for a quiet holiday.

• Like 1

Did you know that King George V last words were ''Bugger Bognor''  lol,                   hope you and Sue had a nice time Catfan,,,,,,,

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Once caught a posh shoplifter in Bognor..................who called me ''a northern cretin''      he'd nicked a 2lb piece of fresh Salmon,......he had no trimmings that night.........lol

• Like 3

Weren't a bad week weather wise, just a bit breezy yesterday but no rain all week. A few reired bin men & their wives on the coach, more about them later. Me & Sue again the youngest on the coach ! Gave up trying to count the number of hip & knee replacements & heart bypasses on the coach but everyone returned safely in one piece !

Went in the lacal 'spoons last night, & they had no Abbot Ale, no Doom Bar & no Guinness also no vinegar to put on yer chips, said retired bin men not happy !  (Under

statement) Soft southerners blame the shortages on the weather, they should try living oop north !

Always nice to see Bulwell though !

P1070342.jpg

• Like 4

All this talk of retirement:

When I worked for Courtaulds as a mechanic in a cotton mill, I read Courtauld's Magazine.  It told of a bloke who started as a lad of 12 in the 'Ring Room' at Ormerod Ackroyd's Spinning Mill, in Eckerslike or somesuch place.  Nearly 60 years later he had made it to the position of 'Ring Room Manager', whereupon he retired and was given a gold watch.  The following day he started back.. brushing up in the Ring Room....  

I enjoyed many of my jobs over time but none as much as being a Careers Adviser, when we were actually allowed to give advice about careers.  I related somewhere here, how that job was destroyed by successive Govts.,until we were largely just box ticking.  I was put in the odd position of being desperate to retire, because I was tired of it all and hated the job.. but wanting to hang on until I was 65 for financial reasons.

I'm fascinated by the way some people fear retirement and some can't wait.  I'm never short of something to do.  It took me a good few months to get used to the idea that retirement meant I could do what I wanted.  Some days I choose to laze about.  Other days I go for long walks, or go for a drive, or explore the Merseyrail area for free using my 'Old Git's' pass.  I've still got a fair bit to do around the house and garden, and I can't stretch to paying others to do it all.. so I'm not likely to get bored any time soon.  And there's always music.

Col

• Like 3