How's your day?

18 minutes ago, jonab said:

Phil, my reaction would have been just the same. If you are in a restaurant you are paying them for service, not a lesson in linguistics.

I'm somewhat surprised, actually. Perhaps that is more the norm in northern France - it wouldn't be tolerated down here.

I've walked out of more restaurants than I've had hot dinners! ;)

• Replies 18.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Cant remember you walking out of ours Phil or did I miss something.

32 c here and getting hotter.got into  my car the other day and temperature was 38 c. After driving a while it was down to 35. C 

Until the pool is ready I'm staying in. Its being filled now but still a while to finish. It still looks like a building site.

It should take 3-4 days to fill it, hopefully less.

It will be if the monsoons arrive sooner than expected. At least they're still alive !

The real question about this Thai situation is why were they down there in the first place? The monsoon season was (is) imminent and I understand there had already been some bad weather in the area.

The people who organised this near tragedy should be held fully responsible.

When I read the news this morning I gave a little hooray - really cheered me up and has quite made my day

• Like 3
19 hours ago, LizzieM said:

So could I DJ360.  I’ve run out of things to wash and dry outside, being a mean bu99er I don’t like using the tumble-drier.  If my husband stands still for too long I’ll shove him in the washing machine.  I have a problem though that psychologically I feel I’m on holiday when the temperature soars and I don’t want to do the normal day-to-day chores. It’s wrong (and unfair) to go off walking with the dog so I’ll just have to stay in holiday mode and sit in the garden with a ‘small’ glass of Pinot Grigio. thumbsup

This long hot spell has brought back memories of 1976, I was very pregnant at the time! 

Ha!! You must be like me Lizzie.  Any excuse not to waste a bit of sunshine.  I've been outside most of the day everyday. I do have to pace myself in the garden these days though, so I have to lie flat either way up for half of each hour.

Tedious..but one must look after oneself.  : )

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Brew said:

When I read the news this morning I gave a little hooray - really cheered me up and has quite made my day

Same here.  As an ex caver I can understand what they've been through.  In this country it's doubtful they'd have survived due to cold.

I can't comment on the wisdom of the trip as I don't know the local conditions, but if anyone was careless they should be brought to book.

Situations like this always remind me of two tragedies.  The first is when Neil Moss died in 1959  Peak Cavern in Derbyshire after becoming exhausted in a tight descending passage.  He was exploring a new extension and was basically just very unlucky.  These days better rescue techniques would probably have saved him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Moss_(caver)

The other was when six Cavers died in Mossdale Caverns in Yorkshire in 1967.  They were surveying the very furthest reaches of a shallow, but long system of caves, which was known to be prone to flooding. A calculated risk in settled weather. Unfortunately, after weeks of dry weather.. a completely unforcast cloudburst filled the cave, giving them no chance. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/what-lies-beneath-mossdale-caving-disaster-794268.html

I always took the view that I wouldn't go into any cave known to 'fill to the roof' unless and until I had first explored all the caves which didn't, which was unlikely to ever happen due to the sheer number of caves in British limestone areas. (thousands..) Even then I had a few hairy moments in caves which became what is euphemistically known as 'sporting when wet'.

Me & Mrs C went for a dental check this morning, all OK see you both in 6 months he said, then I was relieved of just over £43 ,absolute scandal when half the waiting room wearing £100 trainers & fiddling with the latest iphone pay nowt, welcome to benefit Britain if you're lucky !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

As we've always stated CF. Stop benefits, and immigration will dwindle overnight......... Oh ! I hope this isn't racist. Can't upset the over sensitive snowflakes can we ? 

• Like 4

The heat's getting to my head. I urgently needed an outburst ! 

• Like 2

Oh, and I meant the hypocritical snowflakes, the holier than thou types. The handwringing do nothing types.

The I'm ok, sod you types, and not forgetting the do as I say, not as I do types. Will that do for today ?

• Like 4

It was the death of Neil Moss that led to the formation of the DCRO so some good came out of that tragedy.

I was on Mossdale in 67, volunteers from DCRO travelled up there. I was not underground but surface support on that one, just not experienced enough to go underground.

As an aside I read that Bill Whitehouse whom you know has been awarded an MBE for his years given to the CRO. I was in Eldon PC with Bill back in the 60s and bugger me he is still going although in an admin role.

6 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

Oh, and I meant the hypocritical snowflakes, the holier than thou types. The handwringing do nothing types.

The I'm ok, sod you types, and not forgetting the do as I say, not as I do types. Will that do for today ?

No fly that won't do for the Day..........whats your definition of a Snowflake?.........its ok folks me and fly are'nt about to fall out.....we had a man to man some time ago........lol

• Upvote 1

A hypocritical do gooder, but only verbally and no action. 'The I know best, as long as it doesn't affect me' type.

• Like 3