How's your day?

Had our Covid jabs this morning then came home to watch the old farts playing Seniors championship snooker. Interesting game, however, it does amuse me that it's called seniors, when I'm old enough to be most of ems dad ! Still, I can't complain. Been a scorcher today and if it's the same tomorrow, it'll be murder up at Sheffield Park. But I love it when it's busy. Wonder if Plantfit bought a new bike frame while in Retford.?

• Replies 18.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

No new bike frame BK, I got enough bikes (for now), did manage to sell the Raleigh Activator 2 the other day so a bit more room in the shed, got to get the show bikes ready for the first show soon but before I do that It's always nice to have a ride out on them (not the penny farthing junior though),

Rog

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I like Retford

I lived in Nottinghamshire for 26 years and never went to Retford. Don't know why. Are there any major towns in the county that you have not been to?

Enjoyed Retford......nice town.....worked the Coop there and the Ordsall one......

Played Football on Retford Town's ground.......also played cricket nearby......

Are the Cannon's still there?

Had a couple of old friends who were 'Prison Officers there........also used to visit a Football pal who got locked up there...;)

As for large towns ive not visited..in England...a few down south on the coast...thats all....

the canon is still there Ben funnily enough in Canon square near the church

Rog

Started off wet with heavy rain and stayed like that until around lunchtime, I did get the dead heads cut off the roses around the gate in the front garden and I posted my entry form for the vintage/village show which is at Ashby Magna next month, first show of the season showing the vintage cycles and spare parts (might sell a few parts as they are gradually taking over), anyway it brightened up a bit after lunch so managed to have an hours cleaning in the shed before painting the inside of the built in wardrobe in the bedroom, Mrs P been onto me for a few days now to get it done, took the lamp shades down in the TV room and gave them a good wash and put them back up, Tuesday is fish and chip night because the chip van comes to the next village  mmmmm anyroad hope you've all had a great day despite of the crap weather

Rog

Been a funny two days.........Yesterday one of my son's left for Saudi Arabia to do some work.......but i'm not too worried its fairly safe there......

However another son leaves for Iraq tomorrow...just said Ta rah be careful...........How the world has changed ey...........

My mother used to get worried about me....when i worked in Birmingham and Coventry......and i was only slicing Bacon.......;)

• Like 5
6 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

An old Black Country expression.

I'm going into the back room to slice my bacon.

I had a friend at school whose mam worked for the co-op. He went to meet her one day after school, helped her wiping down a counter and sliced the end of his finger off, he couldn't see when the blade was spinning.

Had an uplifting day which was really needed right now in our family.  Our 11 year old granddaughter has been awarded the Art Scholarship at her Prep School.  We’re hoping it will help her emotionally and academically, as our son and his Czech, anti-vax, Covid denying wife separated a year ago and the little girl spends half the time with Daddy and half with Mummy.  Wish we lived back in Herts to help our son out but he seems to cope admirably running a company and looking after a little girl at the same time.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

A Nottinham follow up.....

• Like 1

I covered the whole of Britain in my 58 years of work.......no sat-navs...only Paper maps and sign posts.......but never got lost and only late once (new years day hangover)..........

Well today i went to the 'Mcarthur Glen' shopping centre ten minutes down the road....which ive done many times........then coming back i took a wrong turn and finished up heading north on the M1............Don't know how i did it but missed at least 2 junctions thought i'd end up in Sheffield..........Saw lots of signs for Bolsover........nearly went for coffee at Jill's place......but eventually managed to get back on south of the M1............

Never have i got so confused when driving......if Bulwell had some decent 'Mens' clothes shops

...i would'nt have had this problem.........

Anyway made my purchases bit of Lycra and a couple of T shirts and had a nice breakfast........and eventually got home safe.......Odd sort of day so far..........next time i go anywhere near decent shops gonna purchase a road Atlas............

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

A couple of years ago, the roundabout from which you access McArthur Glen was completely revamped due to the enlargement of the industrial estate opposite McArthur Glen includung an additional access road.  Ever since, the exit from that roundabout to the A38 northbound (Mansfield) seems really awkward and tight. I've been down there several times en route to the vet at Sutton and missed the exit, meaning I've had to go round again. Almost ended up on the A38 southbound  (Derby) a couple of times.  So, I can appreciate Ben's problem.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yes Jill.......its a very odd sort of Junction..................

• Like 1

It is now, Ben. Never had any problems with it before it was altered.  One thing I've learned is NEVER come off the A38 at McArthur Glen near to Christmas. The idiots park on the road and even on the traffic island because the car park is full!!  Lunacy with a Santa hat on. They've blocked the road on more than one occasion.

• Like 1

Yes i came across that last year.......think i got it wrong today because coming out of M G.........There was a lot of traffic and somehow i must have got in the wrong lane........i did a bit of cussing each time i missed a junction going north.........must be me age.....;)

I’ve been to McArthur Glen many times and once off the M1 I struggle with the road network around there, thinking out loud “Where do I go?!”

• Like 1
4 hours ago, philmayfield said:

it did give me an appreciation of the many artists from the Italian masters to the French impressionists. 

We watched Rob and Rylan’s Grand Tour (of Italy) on Sunday night. They were in Venice and I was absolutely blown away by a massive painting (9m x 22m) by Tintoretto called ‘Paradise’ that’s in the Doge’s Palace. Fabulous detail and colours and to think artists had to make their own paints, there was no going to Hobbycraft back in the 16th Century.  

The original owner of our present house, Harry Freckleton, was a well regarded artist who exhibited at the Royal Academy (and Nottingham Castle) and sold many of his works around the World.  Some Nottstalgians of a a similar age to me possibly have photos of themselves as babies, taken by Harry at his studio in Nottingham. 

I think there's one of my older sister as a baby, looking gormless!!!  I seem to remember the name Freckleton on the back of it.

There isn't one of me. I broke the camera!

81 years ago last night the 617 squadron was flying over the Ruhr dams dropping bouncing bombs

P1100400-2.jpg

P1100399.jpg

P1100401-2.jpg

Rog

Indeed. And many of them didn't grow old.  George 'Johnny' Johnson passed away not long ago and he was the last of them. Brave men because it was a suicide mission and Gibson knew it.

• Like 1

Were you on that raid Rog? Wonder where you kept your bike.  

• Like 1