• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

MRS B,

Maine was at least the 500th Mass shooting this year, Mass shooting usually being defined as more than 3 deaths (may have been upped to 4 now).

My Son, Daughter in Law and 3 Grandchildren live in Arizona.
Whereas in the U.K children would practice Fire drill over there they practice Active shooter on the premises.
In my oldest, 17 at the time, Grandson's school late last year they had an alert and lockdown when someone suspicious was spotted on CCTV. with what looked like a rifle but turned out later to be a camera tripod.

After a full Police attendance and search they were all let out after a few hours.

Even got a video, courtesy of the news helicopter.

Don’t get me started Stuart, we have been going to different parts of the US for the last 30+ years almost on a yearly basis and it is one of the things that I get quite riled about. Most of the Americans we have spoken to on the subject are in agreement that it is just too easy to obtain a firearm. I can remember going in to a hardware shop in Aiken South Carolina on one trip and a whole wall was lined with guns for sale and the ammo. Just a normal Main Street hardware shop.
However the “right to bear arms” argument obviously supported by the Rifleman’s Association and their influence on government doesn’t mean it’s going to change anytime soon. 
It was interesting to see how many cannabis outlets had sprung up in New England on our last trip, also not an ideal combination with a gun. Legal now though in some states of course. Also how many “vote Trump “ banners were out there.

• Like 2

:wacko:    HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUU :blink:

:tease:           HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUUUUU :shout:

:crazy:      HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO BKKKK:Kiss:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU:Friends: xxxxxxx

Had the staples out of my knee today. It's improved things re: pain.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Getting the staples out has certainly helped but I'm getting much more pain than last time, which is a problem because it turns out that both Codeine and Morphine have a direct negative effect on my ticker, but what's more they interact badly with my heart meds and can push both heart rate and BP to worryingly low levels. Codeine is the worst, because 10 mg of the stuff produces very approximately  1mg of morphine in the liver.. plus 9 mg of other crud which seems to have no useful function and contributes to the general yukkiy feel of Codeine 

I had a very useful discussion with the practice pharmacist at my GPs. Helpfully, she agreed that getting say 3 mg, morphine direct from liquid morphine, as opposed to getting approx 3 mg morphine indirectly from 30 mg codeine, plus 27 mg of other metabolite crap, is the way to go . Also I have an oral syringe which measures down to 100ths of 1 ml, so if pain doesn't settle, I can try doses of say 1 mg morphine, which shouldn't affect heart meds too badly.

Yesterday I had paracetamol plus 1 mg morphine first thing, followed by straight paracetamol later. It helped and caused no problems, so this a.m, I've started with 2mg morphine plus paracetamol. We'll see how it goes but OK so far.

Something else which happens with knee replacement is that the skin outside the incision becomes numb, but the skin to the inside goes the other way and becomes incredibly hyper sensitive. Even touching very lightly causes intense burning type feelings. I googled this and it turns out there is a self help regime. What you do is massage the sensitive skin with a range of fabrics of differing textures, starting by pressing hard and gradually less hard. It seems to work...which is nice..:)

• Like 3

I wish I more to offer than good wishes Col. a family member who had both knees done sailed through on co-codamol, pity it's no good for you..

• Like 1

Thanks for the good wishes. On a positive note..although it's taking longer this time, I am making progress.  My quad ( thigh) muscles which went completely  AWOL after surgery, are finally beginning to respond to exercise and I can just about do straight leg raises etc.  Knee bend not so much but I'm sure that will come.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Col, you can’t ignore your determination. Keep doing that pain management between exercising and rest thing. Clear that no two knees are the same eh. You did really well after the first one. Onwards and upwards although it’s not easy. 
Mrs B

11 hours ago, nonnaB said:

My contribute to Halloween

IMG-5329.jpg

Nonna you are so clever. Amazing display.

On 10/26/2023 at 5:17 PM, MRS B said:

Don’t get me started Stuart, we have been going to different parts of the US for the last 30+ years almost on a yearly basis and it is one of the things that I get quite riled about. Most of the Americans we have spoken to on the subject are in agreement that it is just too easy to obtain a firearm. I can remember going in to a hardware shop in Aiken South Carolina on one trip and a whole wall was lined with guns for sale and the ammo. Just a normal Main Street hardware shop.
However the “right to bear arms” argument obviously supported by the Rifleman’s Association and their influence on government doesn’t mean it’s going to change anytime soon. 
It was interesting to see how many cannabis outlets had sprung up in New England on our last trip, also not an ideal combination with a gun. Legal now though in some states of course. Also how many “vote Trump “ banners were out there.

Now I see there’s been another shooting in Ybor City Tampa where I’ve also visited.

Crazy

@MRS B, it appears that wherever youv'e been you leave a trail of mishap. Must remind meself not to drive through Leicestershire. Your servant ma'am.x

Beekay, if you do drive through LEICS you’re always welcome to call in. No firearms in our house can assure you. 

Been to have my test for renewal of driving license. It expires the end of November. It’s not really a proper test a quick eye test of 3 letters per eye repeating whispered words and that was it. Paid €110 and when the license arrives by post it’s registered and that’s another €6. 80. It got me thinking does UK charge to renew driving licenses.

Well I can say I've had a 'crap day' today. Been sheltering from Ciarán all day, with heavy rain and ultra high winds, some localised flooding. Then to cap it all had a bloody power out (again !), finished up with very low power, so half the lights would'nt work and those that did were very dim.

Kettle could'nt boil, neither would the air fryer work so no hot sausage rolls for supper. Had to make do with a tin of sardines and 3 ryvitas. Wifi only just come back on so I'm able to post this load of rubbish. Still, our feet are dry and the roof is still on. Think I'll have an early night, while Ciarán buggers off. B.

• Like 1

Stuart C

the fee for license is that. I don’t know what it covers but wouldn’t be surprised if part of it didn’t go into his pocket. A couple of years ago when the hospital discharged me in oncology after 12 yrs and various exams including periodical endoscopy, my gastroenterologist said “ well after a good many years I won’t see you again because I’m going into pension” .  He’s still working so no doubt that goes into his pocket. €250  a visit not bad for a pensioner is it. 

15 hours ago, Beekay said:

Well BK it needn’t think it’s coming here. We’ve got brilliant sun and it’s warm. 
Seriously we have problems in Italy as well. Tuscany is in a terrible state.  They say it’s traveling North  we’re keeping our fingers crossed. I have to say though that we are extremely lucky we seem to miss the worst of the bad weather. Maybe because the mountains shield us a bit. 

Enjoyed a few hours in the sunshine fly fishing is Shropshire yesterday after being laid up with a cold. Back on the indoor bike and rowing machine this morning to get things moving and unblock the lungs....life is good....

• Like 2

Rain stopped play on my volunteering at Sheffield park (Again). Had to make do with me coffee and tv. Can't even do any painting as it's too dark. These seven day weekends are a real pain.

• Like 1

2am this morning saw me enjoying the sights and sounds of hurtling down the by-pass semi-conscious in an ambulance doing the full monty, blues and twos in full flight, and making a valiant attempt on the land speed record.

A rather ill-advised application of Glyceryl Trinitrate dropped my blood pressure to the point where I took no  interest in any further proceedings for several hours.

Face planting the top step of the stairs is, I can assure you, not high on my list for 10 best things to do in the early hours of a cold Saturday morning. My nose taking the brunt of 16 stone using it as a brake is showing proof positive it strongly objected to such treatment.

The Queens Med A&E Friday night crowd did not disappoint, but star of the show was the young girl drunk as a skunk who is screaming blue murder that exiting Rock City and running across the road into the path of a taxi was not her fault.

14 electrodes, 2 blood tests, 2 CT scans and 8 hours of observation and I'm at home exhausted, hungry, but pleased they found nothing more serious than a chronic case of stupidity.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 4