• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Ian, just had an email from my cousin Yvonne, who lives in Alberta and she said the same, " No snow there either. First Brown winter for decades".

@philmayfield, does that mean you've still got the Egrets on your lake?

We had snow before Christmas but now the ground is totally sodden with the persistence rain the last thing we need is thawing snow. Temperatures have been high at around 10 degrees so there’s hardly been a frost so far. Our farmers are complaining because many are going to have to re sow. That’s not unusual though, I’ve known farmers for years and they’re always complaining!

13 minutes ago, IAN FINN said:

Where does your cousin live in Alberta Beekay?

SPRUCE GROVE, ALBERTA.

Won't give anymore, as it would be unfair.

What does the 'Community Reputation' in the green box mean on your own profile? Anybody enlighten me?

4 hours ago, philmayfield said:

It’s a bit damp out. The A612 is flooded at Gonalston crossroads but passable. The Trent is right up to the top at Fiskerton and the river Greet is over the road where it enters the Trent. Kelham Rd. the A617 into Newark is closed at the Fox pub so there’s the usual diversion. The third time this year. The Trent is up to the top of the steps by Newark Castle. We drove down our own lane to more closely view our lake on the field which now covers an acre of land. Looking out of our upstairs rear windows the large field to the rear is totally flooded and there are mini lakes in our back orchard. We stocked up with food at Newark M&S, which is now much better than Waitrose, so we have supplies up to the weekend and I have an inflatable dinghy in the garage. The last time I used that, other than on the sea, was in November 2000 when three of us rowed along the Main St. down to Gibsmere to see if anyone needed help. The dyke down our lane is high but coping and it looks like the rain will be easing very soon. The Trent at the Colwick gauge is forecast to peak at 5.41M on 4th Jan. The highest recent level was 5.42M in 2000 when the sluices opened and sent a tidal wave downstream. 

Trent at Fiskerton earlier today. It’s been just over the picnic benches in the past.

IMG-1791.jpg

• Like 1

The Waggon at Bleasby, my local, is pretty much unchanged. More orientated to beer rather than fine dining. The Coach at Thurgarton is now a house, the Reindeer at Hoveringham is a foodie place as is the Old Vol at Caythorpe. Heaven knows what the Crown at Rolleston is supposed to be!  The Star at Hazleford is now a home for the demented but it’s cut off by the floods at the moment. Not the best place for a care home as they have to evacuate the inmates when it floods!

• Like 1
12 hours ago, philmayfield said:

It certainly is but it's not the quaint old pub it used to be. More gastropub now. @Letsavago will probably fill you in, it's his local. 

The Full Moon is a restaurant rather than a traditional pub. Food is very good and not over expensive and they must be doing something right as it seems very busy much of the time. Villagers seem to traditionally gather there on Thursday evenings and always have in the 23 years I’ve been living here but I don’t join in nor rarely go in at all. Nothing wrong with it but if I’m just having a drink you’re surrounded by people eating which I don’t like. I’m not a big drinker at all these days and we prefer to go to the Final Whistle on Station Road Southwell once or maybe twice a week which is a drinkers pub, no food just bar snacks. Lovely atmosphere, real fire and very popular. We did call at the Waggon in Bleasby on Boxing Day for the first time in a year or so and it seemed improved from when I last went and will no doubt visit again soon. The previous occasion I visited the Waggon the staff very very unfriendly and we left without buying a drink as they were arguing among themselves whether they were open or not. 

• Like 1

Re the Bromley Arms.

It did close and then reopened. I went and they struggled to find a glass believe it or not. The barman didn’t have a clue charged me wrong and it was pretty awful. It is still open as far as I know but I haven’t been in again. Lights were on the other day.

I had one of those 'Targeted Lung Health' phone consultations today, resulting in me being invited for a CT scan and a Spirometry Test.  It's nice to know somebody cares and my diary was looking pretty bleak for the week after next anyway. :)

• Like 1

Well jumped out of bed in the normal way (I wish)  it was about              4 30am. 

No Idea what to do till my brain went into overdrive.                               Soon be another year older, then my brain kicked in!!! 

What can I remember/did in my life-time?

1/ Watched Nottm Forest win the FA cup watched them in slab square on top-less bus, D'white with leg in plaster.

2/Went with my gran and bother to see the Queen when she  came to visit Nottm

3/ Watched the QE coronation in B/W 12inch tv at my aunts.

4/ Then later watched the first man walk on the moon. 

5/ Went to Germany and saw Forest win the european cup  against Melmo.

Well I could go on maybe this might/could be a new topic for the site?

They say that these

9 hours ago, letsavagoo said:

we prefer to go to the Final Whistle on Station Road Southwell

three things us baby boomers can remember exactly where we were when we heard what had happened

1 Assassination of President Kennedy (I was waiting for a bust to go to the local swimming baths)

2 Neil Armstrong stepping on to the moon's surface. (Just got home after a night shift)

3 The assassination of John Lennon (I have no recollection of this)

• Like 2

Lower image taken 11am today. The Trent has risen considerably since my previous image the other day. The Bromley Arms now has a ‘sea’ view. Could do without it rising any more. The landing stage has floats so rises with the river. 2 of the 3 roads I can leave the village are now flooded and impassable.
IMG-1791.jpg
IMG-1801.jpg

• Like 1

Apparently there are cars stranded in the water on the Fiskerton Rd. having driven past the ‘road closed’ signs. The Trent has just about peaked at Colwick and there’s no serious rain forecast for the next seven days. Getting colder though.

I’m expecting an Amazon delivery. He’s done the Fiskerton drops but he’s been eight stops away for the last half hour. The map shows the van as being stationary on the Fiskerton Rd. by the bridge where it usually floods!

He's dumped the van and got in a boat and that has took him downstream Phil

Rog

He’s on the A1 north now Rog so I presume he’s going back to  his Doncaster depot. They’ve still promised the delivery by 10pm so I guess some poor sod’s got to finish his round. :(

• Like 1

Thinking about my lovely Mum today on what would have been her 100th birthday.  She passed away in 1988 aged only 64 from Pancreatic Cancer.  One day she was fine and the next day she was jaundiced and on her way out.    Such a beautiful woman, inside and out.  I miss her still, my best friend. 

• Like 6

Pancreatic cancer is a real nightmare. It took one of my dear catty friends almost four years ago.  Escape was a blessed relief for her. Awful illness.  My mum would have been 98 this April and dad would have reached his 100th this coming November.  Low to mid 80s seems the norm for both sides of the family. I think that's long enough for anyone.