How's your day?

16 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

He introduced me to Ken Clark when he was a fairly new MP.

Ken Clarke was for the most part an 'old school' Tory MP who I could tolerate whilst largely disagreeing with him politically.

He spoiled all of that when describing his time at Nottm High School.  He stood on the pavement next to the High School sports field in Hucknall Rd, just by City Hospital, singing the praises of the (Largely fee paying) High School. All was well until in an example of monumental crassness, he jerked his thumb over his shoulder up towards Arnold Rd/Gainsford Crescent and said. "Of course the council had their own place up there", in a couple of phenomenally arrogant words, dismissing a very fine 200 year old school. High Pavement.  A totally unnecessary swipe which turned me firmly against him.

• Replies 18.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

My neighbour down the lane is a driver on the Great Central. He’s been doing it for many years. He joined as a fireman and ultimately qualified as a driver. He must be 84 now so I’m not sure if they still let him drive. We both went to Mellish but he’s older than me. At one time he was the lead guitarist in the Fabulous Beatmen but he later became ‘respectable’ and ran a factory.

All was well until in an example of monumental crassness, he jerked his thumb over his shoulder up towards Arnold Rd/Gainsford Crescent and said. "Of course the council had their own place up there", in a couple of phenomenally arrogant words,

A jest taken out of context?

Ken Clark lived in Bulwell. His father had a watch and clock repair shop on Highbury Rd. He won a scholarship to NHS. A friend of mine saw him in a restaurant in Compton Pastures last week. He showed me a sneaky picture he took of him!

34 minutes ago, Brew said:

All was well until in an example of monumental crassness, he jerked his thumb over his shoulder up towards Arnold Rd/Gainsford Crescent and said. "Of course the council had their own place up there", in a couple of phenomenally arrogant words,

A jest taken out of context?

That's not what his tone indicated.

Ken Clarke came into our restaurant with a band of conservatives . The following day he brought us a signed photograph of himself . We didn’t know what to do with it .

4 hours ago, IAN FINN said:

Thats interesting phil it is a small world those meetings were social and relaxing back then even those old cars were full of intrigue i started out with a 1938 Morris 8 series 2 wish i still had it.

We’ve got a 1937 Morris 8 cluttering up our garage, she’s called Little Mo and it’s like sitting in a biscuit tin when I’m persuaded to go for a ride in her.  

5 hours ago, IAN FINN said:

is the Horse and Groom still there at Linby? It seems a life time ago i was there.

@IAN FINNthe Horse & Groom Linby has had troubling times recently and was closed for a while in the past few months but I think it’s open again now.  I think I’ve mentioned on here before but the pub was in my family for getting on for 100 years until my Uncle Charlie retired around 40 years ago.  Before Charlie my Great Uncle (George Jennison) ran the pub and before him his father Isaac had it.  

• Like 1
15 hours ago, IAN FINN said:

Hi Mary you are right sorry it is the Horse and Groom i am getting mixed up with the Royal Oak pub at Watnall and then there is the Horse and Groom at Moorgreen is the Horse and Groom still there at Linby? It seems a life time ago i was there.

Pubs still with us. 

Horse n' Groom Linby

Horse n Groom Moorgreen

Three Ponds Kimberley

Queens Head  Watnall

The Royal Oak i don't think they use the Log Cabin any more Watnall

They  have just pulled a pub down in (Not sure if its Moorgreen or Newthorpe) if you stand with Horse  n Groom Moorgreen behind you and cross the road keep going , it was on that road.

Brick n Tile changed to Ma Hubbards now oap bungalows

The Red lion Lower bagthorpe still with us 

Dixies Arms still going strong 

The Shepards Rest still open 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Ken Clark lived in Bulwell.

But was born in West Bridgeford.

14 hours ago, nonnaB said:

We didn’t know what to do with it .

You should have consulted me Nonna .. :rolleyes:

He strikes me as a pretty confused character in many ways. It's as if his consciously projected 'Mr Nice Guy' image is often at odds with his suppressed natural instincts.

Just a short quote from his 'Wiki' entry.

As Chairman of the Cambridge University Conservative Association (CUCA), Clarke invited former British Fascist leader Sir Oswald Mosley to speak for two years in succession, prompting some Jewish students (including his future successor at the Home Office, Michael Howard) to resign from CUCA in protest.[5] Howard then defeated Clarke in one election for the presidency of the Cambridge Union, but Clarke became President of the Cambridge Union a year later, being elected on 6 March 1963 by a majority of 56 votes. Clarke opposed the admission of women to the Union, and is quoted as saying upon his election, "The fact that Oxford has admitted them does not impress me at all. Cambridge should wait a year to see what happens before any decision is taken on admitting them."[6]

Several times in the 1990s, I saw Kenneth Clarke and his wife in Sainsburys at Castle Marina, which was obviously their 'local' shop from West Bridgford.

It was obvious that other people had noticed his presence there, and I suspect there were some who deliberately went to Sainsburys in the hope of having a word with him.

13 hours ago, LizzieM said:

We’ve got a 1937 Morris 8 cluttering up our garage, she’s called Little Mo and it’s like sitting in a biscuit tin when I’m persuaded to go for a ride in her.  

My fathers car when I was very young was a Morris 8. I still remember it with great affection and recall trips with my late sister in that car. I’ve toyed with the idea of getting one but I haven’t the health to restore one so it would have to be one that just needed routine maintenance. He traded that for a Morris Minor and indeed my first car was a moggy but they don’t appeal nearly as much as the Morris 8.

2 hours ago, DJ360 said:

You should have consulted me Nonna .. :rolleyes:

We did consider that DJ but thinking about it :blink:

1 hour ago, letsavagoo said:

My fathers car when I was very young was a Morris 8. I still remember it with great affection and recall trips with my late sister in that car. I’ve toyed with the idea of getting one but I haven’t the health to restore one so it would have to be one that just needed routine maintenance. He traded that for a Morris Minor and indeed my first car was a moggy but they don’t appeal nearly as much as the Morris 8.

My very first when I passed my test was a morris 8. It cost me £20 inc insurance. I had to keep the choke lever out for a while with a wooden block. There was only a cloth covering the ceiling of the car but it was mine and it got me to work. The next car was a  Vauxall Viva which was serviced regularly by a son of one of my hairdressing customers. Only cost me £3. 

@IAN FINNyes. The Hole is still going strong. I'm meeting some friends for lunch there next week. We often go.  It went through a rough patch a few years ago but has since pulled its socks up.  I always have their meat free carvery. In fact two of us do as we're both veggies. The only difference is that he can eat four Yorkshire puddings and I don't care for them, so I donate mine to him. 

Those who want meat can have whatever is on offer, carved and put on their plate. Those who don't can pass by the meat and help themselves to a good selection of nicely prepared veggies. I suppose it's called meat free carvery because it's all served from the same area. I usually have cauliflower cheese (a particular favourite), roast potatoes, carrots, peas, green beans and veggie gravy. One of our number isn't a veggie yet but we're working on her.