What do you love about Nottingham?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I too, no longer live in my home town but I always enjoy returning there and I have many fond memories of the city. The following came to mind: As a child: Accompanying my father to hear Hugh Gaits

Love the banter guys, carry on , us girls don't mind...........6 of us to 1 of you ......LOL

Think it is Stu. I doubt any of us Nottstalgia ladies ever noticed a shortage of men in our lovely city !!

#75. We used the lean a cigarette card at an angle to the wall and whoever skimmed the card that knocked it down collected those unsuccessful attempts on the ground.

• Upvote 1

Exactly Chulla, great fun.

The 20's packets were larger of course.

Me neither, but even in those far off times, there were plenty on the pavement and in the gutters.

Interesting that the cigarette cards game varied from region to region. Paul says they never leaned a card against the wall - they just flicked cards towards the wall to see who could get nearest. Do any of you still have your old cigarette cards? Paul still has his, and matchbox labels

Coincidentally Margie,I was looking at these 'tother day..40's?..

full sets of cricket players,regiment crests and other full sets..bubblegum.. Civil War and Batman..PG Tips full sets of planes,birds and ships etc..All stored in old fag packets..could be valuable.. bundles of No.6 and No.10 vouchers also.

We played it Paul's way on Bestwood estate,.........used to collect Matchboxes as well,by going into Town (nottingham not Bulwell) on a Sunday morning,also collected Fag pkts,............i suppose really we were early litter collector volunteers.

• Upvote 1

We also played with the cigarette packets, the one nearest the wall was the winner. I've never heard about standing one up against the wall before. In those days, most people smoked so there were always plenty of cigarette packets to be had. Regarding the marbles, when I was a little kid I used to save the blue and red ones. It was in the days when cowboy and Indian films were popular. I used to imagine the blue marbles were the cavalry and the red marbles were the Indians. I'd play for ages in the front room having battles between them. Childish, isn't it but remember, I was a child. :)

• Upvote 1

I must admit what Barrettkeller has written brought a tears to my eyes.

I could not have put it better.

Wow this threads come a long way since I last logged in. Marbles, fag packets. Strange dreams. Most folks smoking. I remember those days. When you went to the pictures there was so much smoke in the air the beams of light from the projector seemed to dance around in the air. Sometimes more entertaining than the film. Don't know how the light ever reached the screen.

Gotta go, me batteries running out. Back later.

• Upvote 2

We used to twist the foil inside cigarette packets and make it into a sort of trumpet shape, then throw it up to the ceiling where it stayed!! Haven't thought about that for over 50 years. Can't remember if we wet the end first to make it stick.....