Mrs P always has an hot water bottle,and usually sits with it on the sofa when she's watching the telly,not in summer though

Rog

I have electric underblankets on the beds. Always switch mine on half an hour before bee byes time in winter. I well remember Jack frost patterns on the inside of the windows when I was a child. Incredible to look at. Ice on top of the bedside glass of water, too! We survived! ;)

• Like 3

My source of heat is a wood burning stove in an open plan living area, bedroom is around 60-65F in mid winter, so don't need electric blankets or hot water bottles.

I recall the last time we made it to England, wife could only get two weeks off from work in mid to late November. We stopped at my Sisters house in Hucknall, jeeze that house was so cold. Well at least to us it was cold.

I try to maintain our house living area at around 75-80F on cold days, pretty easy.

I have one of those little clay filled microwaveable bag things that are most pleasant for instant warmth on my back if it aches at all.

Had an electric blanket as a teenager, and often woke up in an absolute sweat in the early hours if I'd come home tiddley, and forgotten to turn it off. 

• Like 2

For years I had Dreamland electric overblankets. Like FLY, sometimes forgot to turn it down and woke up feeling like a roast parsnip!

These days, I have an underblanket but also pure wool Atkinson, satin bound blankets, which are toasty warm.

I have to sleep alone. Any noise or presence of another person disturbs me. So, I can be as toasty as I like and no one else can moan about it! 

I can never be too warm, and madam likes to be cool. Thank goodness we've got a Super King bed, and I've got plenty of room.

Same in the car, as I like the heat on, she likes the Air Con on. I like to drive in an unrestricted style, and that doesn't mean great big jackets, overcoats, fleeces or anoraks. Just a T shirt and jumper. A real mismatch eh ?

No fear, no electric blanket or hot water bottle. Dont like to be too warm.

This morning minus 8 c. Our heating goes off at night too.

Hot Water bottle for me, initially to warm my tootsies up but then I hug it.  I had an electric blanket before I got married, much to the concern of my Mum who thought they were dangerous and could catch fire.  It’d be no good having one now, my husband is always too hot in bed (no smutty comments please), and to keep the peace we only have a Summer weight duvet on the bed throughout the year.  Fortunately we don’t get the severe winters we all grew up with ....... hoping I’m not speaking too soon!

• Like 1

There's one forecast for February Lizzie, so maybe you'd better dig out some woolly socks, and hug the bottle continually !

4 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Do people still use them - and hot water bottles? Who remembers waking up in the morning with frost on the inside of the bedroom windows?

I still use a hot water bottle when its cold, the base of my back aches and its nearly instant relief.  Used to scrape ice from inside of windows usually  in a snowflake pattern.

• Upvote 1

I remember the frosty windows inside my bedroom, but they always looked like ferns.  It felt good to scratch the frost off a small area so you could look outside...

Do you remember breathing very close to the window, and inadvertently getting your lips momentarily frozen to the window pane ?

Worse still, was the end of your tongue ! 

Worked outside for most of my working life in all weathers so never really felt the cold, now I've finished work I DO

Rog