Driving Through France

I've driven a bit around Brittany. Mostly it was a delight as their roads are well maintained and pretty empty c.f. ours. I even managed reasonably well in a couple of the larger towns. I did find that they had a rather of odd way of angling their direction signs which to a habitual UK driver could be a bit ambiguous, but no biggie.

So. I have access to a very nice apartment in one of the poshest streets in Nice... For the moment I assume that 'Le Parking' is available.

We could fly there in a couple of hours from Liverpool via Sleazyjet.

Or, we could drive there...hopefully avoiding the major 'Autoroutes' ( N6/N7? .. I havent even looked at a map yet..) and getting a feel for the changing landscape as we run south.

I have no experience of this at all apart from the car ferry Plymouth- Roscoff almost 30 years ago, and hitch hiking to Paris in 1967.... man.. :cool::cool:

So.. a few questions which I'm sure our very cosmopolitan readership.. ( Lizzie.. Nonna B) can help with.

1. What would be your choice for crossing over/under the channel and why?
2. Would you pre-book overnight stops..in France or is it reasonable to suppose that overnight accommodation is easy to find on an Ad Hoc ..'just turn up' basis? I've heard of 'Formula One' hotels but know little about them. Any other suggestions? A bed/bathroom and possibly breakfast are all that's required. Nothing fancy.
3. Is AA operative .. maybe by proxy.. in France should we need it?

Were I doing this alone.. I'd just pretty much get on with it... With Mrs Col in tow it needs to be a teensy bit more organised...  girlvboy

Views?

I am following this thread as I am planning something similar August/September. But I know I shall be driving a 56 year old car, ferry from Dover - Calais and I shall be staying at Cambrai, Northern France (Pas-de-Calais). Help will be appreciated on anything else.

When we stayed over in France, can't remember the reason, we just rocked up at the formula one, it was all automated, no booking. Quite basic, but comfy and you can get a breakfast in the morning. Wouldn't want a week in one, but ideal for an overnight. Or Theres always a campanile, not sure if you have to book though. I think most will give you a room if there's one available.

Col, Malcolm, take the train through the tunnel, it's so easy, and only takes 20 minutes. No hassle with messing about on the ferries. 

Re stops heading south Col, LizzieM would be the one for the best advice, as I gather from previous posts that she has done the run several times. Best of luck to you both.

I've driven to Brittany several times, but this year, we're doing a coach tour. At least I can see more.

42 minutes ago, The Pianoman said:

I am following this thread as I am planning something similar August/September. But I know I shall be driving a 56 year old car, ferry from Dover - Calais and I shall be staying at Cambrai, Northern France (Pas-de-Calais). Help will be appreciated on anything else.

That just proves my earlier statement that you can keep a car going ‘forever’. I bet you’re not using a 56 year old washing machine though!:biggrin:

10 hours ago, DJ360 said:

I've heard of 'Formula One' hotels but know little about them. Any other suggestions? A bed/bathroom and possibly breakfast are all that's required. Nothing fancy.
3. Is AA operative .. maybe by proxy.. in France should we need it ?

First thing to do would be to ring your car insurance company for a "green card" to cover European driving for the period you are away . 

I doubt your regular AA covers you for driving "Sur le continent" so again need to ring them to arrange cover . 

Also you need to carry certain items in the car such as warning triangle , spare bulb pack and I think an extinguisher . Don't forget also the headlamp deflectors for continental driving .

(We're flying to Beziers in April to meet son who's motoring from Holland)

HTH

I go over there 6 to 10 times a year, only to Brittany though. I use Plymouth /Roscoff with Brittany Ferries usually. In fact we will be using them tomorrow. Driving in France easier and less stressful than the UK. The roads are better and less crowded. We also drive down to the Dourdogne to see my sister once or twice p/a.  Driving.... you do not need a fire extinguisher in a normal car. The breathalyser kit was a farce and never became a legal requirement. You will need hi viz jackets for  driver and all passengers, Warning triangle and spare bulb set. Also if you normally wear glasses, a spare pair. If your car does not have beam adjusters for continental use then the stick on kind have to be fitted (but they are a waste of time).  I used to travel extensively through France on business and rarely booked accommodation.  If you decide to use Brittany Ferries pm  me and I will get you a 10% discount.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Right then Col, listen to PP, you really don’t need to take all that paraphernalia with you, there’d be no room for Mrs Col’s bikinis!  Just once have we paid for AA European Breakdown cover and have only taken Hi-viz vests and the triangle.  Never had a Green card that DavidW has mentioned either, maybe we’ve always broken the law there? 

We've always used the Chunnel as we’ve had the dog with us and haven’t wanted to leave him on the car deck to get stressed (and believe me, he would be).  The checking-in and boarding the train is super efficient and only takes 35 mins and if you get there early they generally put you on an earlier train. Once over the other side we get on the motorway and go, go, go.  We have generally got into France around midday and drive until we’re ready to rest, having picked up food and drinks in Folkestone we have only needed the occasional wee stop.  

Don’t stay at one of those F1 motels Col, I’ve only seen them from the motorway and they look the pits. I think truckers use them more than tourists, a giveaway is all the big trucks parked up outside!

We always stay in Mercure or Novotel hotels, reasonable room rates and very clean. Often we’ve stayed at Reims, a nice cathedral city and sometimes we’ve got as far as Beaune, a fabulous town which is the centre of the Burgundy wine production, there’s a wine shop on every street corner. 

Next morning, onto the A6 and south to Lyon, but word of warning, Lyon is a nightmare if you hit it at rush hour. 

Then we took the A7, past Avignon (sur le pont!) then turn left onto the A8 at Aix-en-Provence.  We got to our place just outside Cannes by mid-afternoon and even had the energy to go to the supermarket. 

Coming back to the UK we would generally stop in Beaune at the same hotel and then Amiens at the Mercure  Cathedrale. Not far then to Calais for a morning train. 

It’s a long drive, just about 1000 miles in two or sometimes three days but in the Bentley it was easy, we didn’t get any speeding fines either! 

If you’d like info about places to go once down there I may be able to help, but I’m sure Jonab knows the area far better than me.  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

^^^^^^^^Yep Ian I would recommend the ROI to anyone, I couldn't go over there for a number of years, army and all that but both the wife and I would have loved to go back. Of course it must have changed somewhat but we have wonderful memories and the scenery won't have changed.

• Like 2

We will be going to Ireland again this year. Starting at Cork then up to Bray for 3 or 4 nights (regular train into Dublin) and on to Belfast and North coast then back via Liverpool. Used to do similar trips regularly. The North has become a very pleasant place indeed.  Been on the west coast last couple of trips. Ireland is good anywhere though.:biggrin:

Re insurance for France. Like Lizzie we don't use a green card -think it has become out dated ,but we are covered with fully comp inc EU travel. I had to use the breakdown service last year and was treated extremely well. If I were to travel to the South of France again I would make an interesting journey of it. A holiday trip, once a year, is different to going to you holiday home regularly, where the easiest/fastest route is preferred. We once did it starting in Plymouth, ferry to Santander and motoring down (a day in the Pico's Mountains, but we did have a LR) with 3 stopovers. Then back via the Dourdogne with stopovers. Not too stressed but took in a wide variety of interesting places and scenery.

• Like 3

Ian - I've fished on the Cork Blackwater a couple of times also stayed in Kinsale and Waterford on business. Didn't realise you were down that way - pm me where you live and we may have a jar together.

• Like 1

Exactly Ann. The ferry seems so uncivilised nowadays.

Getting back to the green card .  I'm with Direct Line and though my motor insurance gives me basic cover abroad , it's only third party so any damage or theft to my vehicle or lengthy legal claim isn't covered . 

I called it the green card but it's really an addition to give me fully comp cover for the period abroad . Evidently different insurers have different cover but worth checking .

If you are going to be driving abroad then you also need to make sure you are adequately insured for this. Holders of Direct Line Car Insurance have several options. We can issue you with an annual Green Card. This gives you the minimum insurance for the country you are visiting, which is the equivalent or less of our Third Party Insurance. Or we can give you a maximum of 90 days Foreign Use Extension on your Comprehensive or Third Party Fire & Theft Policy for a small charge (trips for three days or less are free). 

£55 each way on the ferry. (DFDS Seaways). Chunnel seems to be double that. I like to float on a boat - unless the Chunnel is really that much better? Either way is convenient as I shall want to be travelling on the A26/E15 Autoroute d'Anglaise out of Calais.

• Like 1

Re Ferry vs Chunnel.  Agree that the chunnel is best from Dover area. The short hop ferries are not of the same standard as the Brittany Ferries from Portsmouth, Poole or Plymouth, which are 'cruise' ships and pleasant to travel on.

Talking about ferries...one of the problems with visiting Ireland is the high prices of Stenna. The 14 hour BF trip from Roscoff to Cork is cheaper than a Stenna 4.5 hour crossing Holyhead to Dublin! The BF crossing even includes a cabin. Stenna have got a virtual monopoly knowing that the competition is slow freight at antisocial hours.

On 19/03/2018 at 9:30 AM, The Pianoman said:

I don't kno much Pianoman but I do know that seemingly the whole of France takes to the motorways in August and heads south, causing huge traffic jams and many accidents.  I think I'd go for September...  :).  That said, since most of France will be heading south.. maybe the North will be quieter?

Col