Sign in to follow this  
radfordred

Trinity Square Over The Years

There’s a very nice Rover 60, 1958, for sale at Sherwood Restorations in Southwell near to me. £13,995. They can be a bit expensive there but might be worth a look just out of curiosity. The only Rover I ever had was a 3 litre SD1. I saw it a few years after I’d changed it and it was a complete rust bucket.

• Like 1

Has one of too too although not the coupe verson, had an after market blue perspex sun roof. It was always a swine to start.

20 minutes ago, The Pianoman said:

Beauty mine isn't at the moment. It is waiting for an engine rebuild which it will get this year. It had a heavy bang on its o/s back wing while John Herbert had it and it was never properly repaired. Jack Hopewell at West Bridgford were responsible for the repairs and they did one god almighty bodge up! And charged him for it.

Here is the receipt relating to the above bodge. £140 was probably a lot of money then especially considering the size of the bodge up!

scak28.jpg

• Like 1

I knew Jack Hopewell’s quite well. They looked after our company’s Jags and could obtain them new when they were difficult to source. They drove one off the ramp with the door open and ripped it right off! They serviced a car for me and I found various tools left under the bonnet which I returned, much to their embarrassment.

7 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

Is there a website phil? Never mind driving through France!..buy a motor..meetup ...holyhead and home!

Yes, look for Sherwood Restorations. I bought a Lotus Elise from them some years ago and I regularly look in for a browse and a chat.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

Another view to replace what was ravaged thru'PB..never went in the Welbeck...too young..but recall the smell wafting..when those big doors flapped.bf2352d2201b3d81c68949c592d7462c.jpg

An uncle of mine worked at the Welbeck before the war. We do have a pair of rather nice etched glass decanters that came from there and I do recollect some old knifes and forks with WH on the handles!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

An uncle of mine worked at the Welbeck before the war. We do have a pair of rather nice etched glass decanters that came from there and I do recollect some old knifes and forks with WH on the handles!

Our Ben obviously didn't work at The Welbeck! Might have been embarrassing for your uncle if he had! :blink:

• Upvote 1

There were a very nice set of hugh wall to ceiling mirrors in the Welbeck dining room . George Akins bought them at the Welbeck disposal sale and they adorned the rear wall of the Victoria Club dining room. I don’t know if they or the Victoria Club are still there.

I can remember Trinity Church before it was demolished and thought it was an imposing building even then.

A few years ago I brought a MGB roadster from Sherwood Restorations, the cars are a bit expensive but they are of good quality and the service from the garage is second to none. The wife said I was going through a midlife crisis, my son and grandson called me a born again boy racer as I loved getting the back end sliding around traffic islands. I had to sell it in the end as the only way I could get out of it was  open the door and roll out onto the ground , then haul myself onto my feet using the side of the car.

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

The only Rover I ever had was a 3 litre SD1. I saw it a few years after I’d changed it and it was a complete rust bucket.

Phill, do you mean the 3.5 litre sd1? They didn't do a 3 ltr!. They did a 2.3, 2.6 and a 3.5 v8.

14 minutes ago, trogg said:

I can remember Trinity Church before it was demolished and thought it was an imposing building even then.

A few years ago I brought a MGB roadster from Sherwood Restorations, the cars are a bit expensive but they are of good quality and the service from the garage is second to none. The wife said I was going through a midlife crisis, my son and grandson called me a born again boy racer as I loved getting the back end sliding around traffic islands. I had to sell it in the end as the only way I could get out of it was  open the door and roll out onto the ground , then haul myself onto my feet using the side of the car.

That’s why I sold the Lotus. Very embarrassing to have to crawl out on my hands and knees. Hardly the image for a sports car driver! smile2

• Like 1

There’s a 1961 P4 at Spinning Wheel Motors at Chesterfield. Adrian there is a nice guy to deal with. Again it might be worth a look out of interest.

• Like 1

I helped gut the Welbeck ready for demolition, we removed all the sanitary but the scrappy of Hayden Road had the contract to remove the pipework, yards of screwed 20 thread copper the lucky bugger.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NewBasfordlad said:

the scrappy of Hayden Road 

Was that Gibsons NBL?  I went out with his son for a while, he used to pick me up in his Dad’s jag, it impressed an Arnold girl smile2

I think so Lizzie the yard was on the left as you approached Nottingham road all new build on it now.

I have a vague memory of some one getting seriously hurt or killed there.

I’m going back nearly 50 years ago, and never went to the yard but yes that’s where it was I’m certain.  They lived in a very nice property in Widmerpool with a lot of acres, horses, resident groom. I remember looking across the countryside and seeing about 5 power stations in the distance!  It was there that I watched colour TV for the first time so it was probably about 1967.  His dad was a big gambler and another lasting memory was seeing piles of gambling chips on the sideboard.  As I said, this Arnold girl was impressed!  

They had been at that site some time and as a New Basford lad I used them for my scrap. The Welbeck would have been demolished sometime mid 70s they made a killing there. A lot of folk had assumed the screwed pipe they were looking at was galvanised steel and priced accordingly as screwed 20 thread was very unusual. This man checked and knew it was 20 thread copper with a scrap value at the time at least 25 times that of galv steel, the strip out team arrived on site with enough men to guard the lorry and its load whilst the rest did the stripping.

I could only watch and ...................drool.

21 hours ago, LizzieM said:

Was that Gibsons NBL?  I went out with his son for a while, he used to pick me up in his Dad’s jag, it impressed an Arnold girl smile2

I knew Chris Gibson quite well. Gibson Waste dealt with our skips and Chris was a hands on sort of bloke. He was driving a Daimler at the time and he was invited to Mann Egerton, the Jag dealership, for an open evening. Chris looked a bit scruffy. He was looking at a car when a salesman came over and said ‘do you think you can afford this sir?’. Chris said ‘I can afford to buy every bloody car in the showroom and take you on as my chauffeur!’ He could as well! I believe he retired to live in Jersey where you had to prove you were of substantial worth to be able to buy a property.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1