• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of the pleasure in spending your later years near where you grew up....is bumping into friends from 60 years and more ago.......\i constantly do this in Bulwell.....old school pals from the 50s a

Ben, another group called The Spinners with some fantastic shots of the UK. The song was all about the "Right to Roam". Written by Ewan MacColl I've walked and climbed in most of the places in th

Moved into our new home today,,now sat quietly apart from a little jig when the music of Dr Hook gets too much to sit still, The site seems to have got back to its friendly ways,,so I'm back,,

More than likely @IAN FINN.............i first remember Eartha on the radio in the fifties listening to this........i was just a wee lad''...but there was something special about her voice.......

2 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

OH Eartha........you'd have loved Bulwell.........Old fashioned....but sorry no ''Millionaires''........

I remember hearing that on the Light Programme when I was young. I had no idea who Eartha Kitt was, and could never work out what kind of person was singing it.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, IAN FINN said:

Was that Eartha that sang You just Sort Of Stand There And Just Sort Of Do It, many years ago when i was but a nipper.

That would most likely be Lena Horne, Ian, 'A New Fangled Tango'. Quite a few artists recorded it but I can't find reference to Kitt singing it.

• Like 1

I was a great fan of Ricky Nelson in the early 60s..........used to go to a youth club on George street.......''Coop Arts Centre'' i think it was...ran by Mrs Pettit off Bestwood estate.......lovely lady who took 'no prisoners' when it came to 'Teenage Behaviour''........threatened to 'Bar me'' and tell me Mam when caught 'Kissing'' Sandra on the 'Fire Escape ''..(loved that fire escape)...Mr Pettit ran the football team called ''Coop Pathfinders''..and always got us a good deal on new Boots.......

Went to the Coop youth club for a year or so.......all or most of the Lads and girls from school days went their on Tuesday nights mainly for the great sounds of the 60s and Sandra's for a dance or two...

However it was all replaced eventually by ''TeenBeat'' at the Locarno just down the road......where i fell in love every week with a different Sandra on the ''Undulating''  Dance floor........listening to Ricky...Cliff...Billy ...and many others

• Like 4

Well we are finely there!!!

Saturday 9th September 2023   BBC 2  7 -00pm

Last Night Of The Proms

Not into this kind of music then watch BBC  1 Proms from  9 00 

you won't be disappointed 

• Upvote 1

Just been watching the proms and really enjoyed much of it.  I thought your neighbour was excellent, Lizzie.  One thing I’m a bit puzzled about is when certain words of Land of Hope and Gary were changed.  It was probably many years ago but I’ve only just noticed.  The new couple of words make more sense than the original ……..  

“increase” has been changed to “be set”

• Like 1

Are The Proms from the Royal Albert Hall? Never been in this place before, but will be in there on Dec 23 for the sing-along Carol concert. Really looking forward to it.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I’m not much one for listening to music but I did watch the Proms. I must say that local Kanneh-Mason chappie is a bit of a whiz on the cello.

So were all the other cellists Phil. The ladies sounded just as good.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I’m not much one for listening to music but I did watch the Proms. I must say that local Kanneh-Mason chappie is a bit of a whiz on the cello.

I agree Phil, he almost made his cello talk … I felt quite emotional

• Like 1

I used to play the cello, beautiful sounding instrument, loved it.

• Like 1

I have only ever been to the Royal Albert Hall once and was very lucky to see Yehudi Menuhin. Many years ago but I think it was a trip organised by Nottingham Arts who I used to play cello with. The acoustics in that building are amazing.

That’s wonderful Mrs B, you have my admiration!  I was only ever let loose on the Triangle at school!  
we’ve only been the RAH once too, to a Concert in aid of AIDS, and it was an evening never to be forgotten with the stars who performed, it was just amazing and the building is fantastic.  
Last Night of the Proms was brilliant last night, loved it.  

7 hours ago, katyjay said:

Never been in this place before, but will be in there on Dec 23 for the sing-along Carol concert. 

Wow, are you back in your homeland for Christmas Kath? 

1 minute ago, LizzieM said:

Wow, are you back in your homeland for Christmas Kath? 

Yes. Determined to be away for Christmas this year. First cruise booked (Med) got cancelled. 2nd cruise, NCL kept changing the itinerary, so much so, that there were hardly any places we hadn't been to before. And I didn't fancy an 18hr flight and then not enjoy it. So we decided to'do' London. 11 nights in a hotel on Tottenham Court Rd.  Only ever been there the odd day or night. Taking 2 friends with us, and plan to walk our feet off every day!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Called on Polly.........needed a lift....it always worked........

Still turned me down for a dance though........just like Tamworth 1970 ish...lol

Yes Kev.........at a venue in Tamworth 1970 ish..........think it was called Tamworth Castle.........even asked for a dance.....but she turned me down with a lovely smile:rolleyes:.......

• 2 weeks later...

Thought about time we had a nice piece of true 60s memeranda.............

Feel like doing 'Cart-wheels' across the floor.......