Top names for babies

Why I was christened Philip I’ll never know. It means ‘lover of horses’. I’ve been thrown off a couple of times so they don’t love me! I’ve always been called Phil. As a wartime baby my grandfather wanted my parents to call me Winston but that conjures up someone from the Windrush generation!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not a Kayleigh, Sky, Precious, Mercedes, Angel, Butch, Stallone or Mohammed in sight! 

Wasn’t there a song... ‘Walter, Walter,  lead me to the altar?’  I remember my mum saying that.

I used to hate my middle name, but as i got older i tended to use it with my first name. Then when I married i requied the surname Dawn. When I first joined nottstalgia I used my middle name as n

'Someone from the Windrush generation'....

Phil., I suddenly get a vision of you, with your little attache case stepping down the gangplank at Tilbury.

3 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Why I was christened Philip I’ll never know

Reminds me of a comedy sketch some may remember:

"My names Shadwell........................................... I dunno why...."

Portrayed by the late Rik Mayall, I believe. 

I just knew you'd have to correct me. But I saw Rik do the sketch on one of his shows. Another character was 'Kevin Turvey' from Birmingham.

Can members remember late 60s-----70s    Some people were giving (If their wife) gave birth to a little boy they would name the child after their local football team? every players name.  I wonder about them now. just think what it would be like on you 

As I was getting older I found out that my grandmothers name was    Selina I wish some one would have named me after her.  Just so long as they did'nt  call me Lena which is the shorter version.         My brother David wanted to give me a name so here it is Mary.

Although my name is Helen my mum always called me Katy and when I had my daughter she of course had to be named Katy (with a “y” as in the What Katy did books) She is very proud that her name ends in a “y” as most are Katie nowadays.

44 minutes ago, mary1947 said:

As I was getting older I found out that my grandmothers name was    Selina I wish some one would have named me after her.  Just so long as they did'nt  call me Lena which is the shorter version.         My brother David wanted to give me a name so here it is Mary.

My Great Great Grandfather had a child (one of about 12..) called Selena.  Sadly, she seems to only appear once on the census..

12 hours ago, mary1947 said:

Can members remember late 60s-----70s    Some people were giving (If their wife) gave birth to a little boy they would name the child after their local football team? every players name.  I wonder about them now. just think what it would be like on you 

My daughter in laws name is long she has Debora ( no h ) Katia. ( pop song favourite) Genoveffa ( maternal gmother) and 2 more that I can’t remember . Trouble here is if you have to sign any legal document you must continue to do so. Not so good when sometimes you have to sign 20 odd times one after the other. I know when we first came here I mentioned that I had never signed my name so many times and to top it up I had to remember to sign in my maiden name. That’s Italy but I love it here.

One of my nieces here is called Fosca another called Benedetta  and Viola. My Deborah with an H. My neighbour is Armeda . We have an international community here and there are so many names that it’s difficult to remember them.

Thinking back to school days, there were certain names of which there were 5 or 6 in the class. At primary school: Stephen, Colin, Kevin, Christopher, Susan and, especially, Jane caused confusion because there were so many.  At Manning, we had so many Julies that if a teacher mentioned the name, half the school stood up! 

Odd how names change in such a short time.....you were more or less a decade after my school days Jill.....and none of the names you mention were in my class.........i do remember em all and i dont think there was two the same.........just one Barry...Trever...Malcolm...Brian...Paul....Geoff....Stan...Tony...Peter...Jimmy...Alan..Keith..Joe..Harry Charley...Same with the Girls....Val...Dolly...Anne...Beryl...Marilyn...Diane...Marian...Anita...Lesley...Carol...Julie...June...Sandra

I could go on, but it just goes to show we were more individualistic...lol

Our teachers never used first names. It was always your surname. I don't remember ever hearing a teacher use a pupils Christian name, even if they were running an errand for the teacher.

We named our eldest lad Andrew Shawn. When registaring his birth the officer asked if we were sure that's how we wanted to spell it. We said yes. He replied he'ď never seen it like that afore. ( our youngest lad was Colin Richard).

Mid-way through my school life there was a big change in the way teachers addressed pupils.

At infants and junior school teachers always spoke to children using their first name; surnames were an almost unknown thing.

But moving to secondary school, it was all surname with no mention of first names.

It took me a while to get used to that; it seemed a bit cold and harsh.

At secondary school I think it was only the boys who were addressed by their surnames.  We girls were called by our first names!

• Like 1

I think there were a few Jeffrey/Geoffreys at primary school as well. Only one Paul. Only one Jill. Very few Johns, which is surprising and no Janets (Janet and John being the early reading scheme, although I didn't bother with that as I could already read and it was too easy).

2 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

But moving to secondary school, it was all surname with no mention of first names.

Same here Kev..........even starting work at 15 in retail.....everyone was addressed by their surname.(bit like 'ARE YOU BEING SERVED)... ........ football and cricket clubs i played for at school and thru my Teenage years ...it was always surnames.....which somehow i respected more...