Wonder how much they charge general car owners?

Wonder if it's still possible to buy brandy snap at Goose Fair. Emily and George from Garden Street went, without fail, to see the fair open on Thursday lunchtime...it was Thursday to Saturday in those days....every year. Emily always bought brandy snap and some kind of round shortcake biscuits from the fair. I've never liked brandy snap because I don't like ginger but the shortbread was nice.  Ay up, big brother Beekay, we're talking biscuits again!

Emily and George could probably remember when Goose Fair was in the Market Square!

We saw brandy snap for sale today, but we didn't get any

That sounds familiar, denshaw. I think the biscuits did contain ginger but they were very light in colour and didn't burn your tongue as brandysnap did.

Er indoors used to buy brandy snap tubes and fill em with cream cheese, really delicious. To the best of my limited knowledge,  I've  only ever seen Grantham gingerbread on sale in Nottingham. Since being exiled, father in law used to get it for us. Little sis, if you don't  like ginger how come you eat Grantham gingerbread? Another luvverly biscuit for dunking.

Another aside, can't  get potted meat either !

I've heard of filling brandy snap with whipped cream but never cream cheese. Used to love Colwick Cheese from Wealthalls on Radford Boulevard. I don't think it's permitted now. Something to do with unpasteurized milk? We ate tons of it in our house and it didn't do us any harm. Certainly much preferable to this Philadelphia rubbish.

Used to buy the cheese on little squares of tracing paper. Didn't  it have like a skin on it? When 'er indoors was carrying our first son, I  was the one who had the cravings,i.e. Colwick cheese.

Just got back from the fair. Had my candy floss, bit disappointed it was in a bag not on a stick but it had just been spun and bagged, didn’t have the mushy peas though too long a queue at the scouts stalls. 
Watched some of the rides in horror, made me feel queasy just looking at them. No way I would have gone on them at all. It seemed smaller than I remembered, but it has been a long while since I went last time. Enjoyed it, but have a bit of a headache now the music was earsplittingly loud, suppose that shows my age! 

• Like 2

SG., you say you've just got back from the fair. Does that mean they're  open on a Sunday as well? I realise they had altered from Thursday to Wednesday start, but didn't  know it was five days.

Thanks for that Den., wonder if my local Morrisons sell it at Crowborough? Don't  want to do a 28 mile round trip for nowt.

2 hours ago, Beekay said:

Wonder how much they charge general car owners?

No general on site parking for anything but blue badge holders.

58 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Used to buy the cheese on little squares of tracing paper. Didn't  it have like a skin on it? When 'er indoors was carrying our first son, I  was the one who had the cravings,i.e. Colwick cheese.

Yes, it was a square of greaseproof paper. Sour tasting but went well with cucumber, mum's favourite way of eating it, smothered in pepper - dad's favourite way of eating it or as the filling for savoury choux pastry. Messy but my favourite way of eating it. Wish we could have Colwick cheese back again. Yummy!

Never heard of the stuff down here in the outlands. Used to take great delight in going in a chip shop and asking for pie and mixed with gravy! Just used to get a vacant look. Think the locals would have palpatations if I  asked for Colwick cheese.

30 minutes ago, letsavagoo said:

No general on site parking for anything but blue badge holders.

They all park in Mapperley Park :angry:

• Upvote 1

Sunday is the last day now Beekay. Don’t know what time it finishes tonight. 

Thank you for your reply SG. Sunday obviously not sacrosanct  any more.

I remember Goose Fair being held middayThursday to midnight Saturday at which time the dismantling started. By about 9 am on the Sunday it was all but gone and time for the 'beachcombers' to begin searching for dropped money and other valuables. The interesting aspect of that activity was ruined when metal detectors became commonplace. 

• Upvote 1

Thats what I  was thinking Jonab. Used to take great delight in rummaging through the detritus in that area. If we found a damaged figurine for example, we thought it were buried treasure or spoils of war. I believe  the figures were known as Fairings. Once found a little girl figurine, never found her missing arm though. Never heard of anybody finding money.

Well I did !  smile2

I used to work on Gregory Boulevard and on the Monday following the fair, a few of us would go over and pick up whatever we could find in the grass to donate to Ellerslie House Hospital (next door to where we worked). Most years we managed to pick up a few quid, even though the 'professionals' had been there on the Sunday.

It used to be that at almost any time of year, odd coins could be picked up but that is most likely now over due to these nasty beeping metal detectors. They've taken all the fun out of beachcombing and reduced it to a money-grubbing chore.

Thought you might Fly. Once heard someone had found a wallet, but always thought it was an urban legend. When I  think about it, I  could have only been about 10/11 years old. Nobody thought about much then. Nowadays you can't  go out on your own till your about 16 !

It's  all down to those detectorists off the telly, Jonab.