Things that pee you off...

4 hours ago, jonab said:

France is THE place for bread. Problem with it is that it must be eaten within a very few hours of being baked otherwise it's like eating a damp dishcloth.

A close approach to my idea of gourmand bliss is a baton of fresh bread, Normandy butter, a glass (or three) of the local red and some cheese ( which should include mature Cheddar) eaten sitting under the cherry trees.

Although it “pain”s me to say it French bread is the best. Growing up it was possible to use CO-OP bread and Wonderloaf “fresh" straight from the pack for bait. Just squeeze into a ball and stick it on the hook. Bread would be green before it was dry enough to use as ground bait. It is my belief that in the late 70’s the revival of Sainsbury’s was based upon fresh edible bread. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As the actions of various groups around the country proved when fireworks and petrol bombs were used as weapons. If that is not a good enough reason to say enough is enough and ban private sales of fi

I rather think the the hang 'em and flog 'em syndrome is alive and well and not a million miles away - and the press are having convulsions... Why does an act of mindless vandalism attract such v

Not to beat around the bush or add insult to injury, but there are several whimsical idioms that do not cut the mustard sense-wise. However, we shouldn’t cry over spilt milk, a little elbow grease wil

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, nonnaB said:

Its confusing when you get used to looking one way then go to another country and have to think where you are.

Funny thing. When I get to Heathrow I usually hire a manual car and off I go without a problem. When in other countries I have to rent automatics as I find it hard to shift gears with my right hand.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, catfan said:

Having an excursion to town today & going to the QMC later on for an appointment that was cancelled twice. Hopefully get more info regarding problem found with MRI scan back in February. Had a letter already referring me to a spinal consultant in july.?

Prayers are with you 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, oldphil said:

Most French people I meet use their batons to point when giving you directions, and wave them about energetically to underline their conversation. As to local plonk, when we use the farmhouse at Les Bessardieres, I followed the tip from the next door neighbours (a couple from Reading, would you believe) and fill up a flagon at the local shop. it's like a petrol pump, and the stuff is dirt cheap. Other tip was, always add "du syrop" to the glass first, or it's like drinking  red diesel.

Reminds me of when I lived in Kuwait, amongst my group of expats the main conversations always surrounded booze, real stuff, home made recipes, substitutes and black market “Flash”. Some of the stuff that would be available at parties would rot your socks but never red diesel

• Like 1

nonnaB, how could I have omitted the olives from my plate? The local niçoise olives have a quite unique flavour. There are lots of olive groves in this area each producing exceptional oils - I only wish I had a refined enough palate to appreciate them all.

Another thing I forgot to mention on my cheese platter were radishes.

Sundried tomatoes are a bit of a rarity here even though we are so close to Italy. They are available, of course, but they are not nearly as popular as they seem to be elsewhere.

4 hours ago, nonnaB said:

Its confusing when you get used to looking one way then go to another country and have to think where you are.

I blame all the "Johny Foreigners" for driving on the wrong side of the road !

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, catfan said:

I blame all the "Johny Foreigners" for driving on the wrong side of the road !

Damm foreigners!

I just got back from the Hospital myself. My son was in a 5 car crash this morning. Truck’s a right off but he’s Ok just checking to make sure.

Have you been to do your thing yet  

• Like 1

'Ere!  Who said we drive on the wrong side of the road?   Ya should a seen me leave the car rental place on Bath street in 97.  Jet lagged as well.  They must have watched me. When I took it back a couple of weeks later they said, "you made quite an exit."  :Shock:  I went straight through tahn and down Derby road too.  That probably raised an eyebrow or two.  Lol.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, loppylugs said:

'Ere!  Who said we drive on the wrong side of the road?   Ya should a seen me leave the car rental place on Bath street in 97.  Jet lagged as well.  They must have watched me. When I took it back a couple of weeks later they said, "you made quite an exit."  :Shock:  I went straight through tahn and down Derby road too.  That probably raised an eyebrow or two.  Lol.

You were the clown who nearly had a 44 bus on the top of yer bonnet then Dave !  wereno1

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

Here they are insurance excempt for one year....several have killed a pedestrian and motorists..and got away scott free...whoever he is !

Ireland has to be the most expensive place in Europe for insurance and car hire. Amex car insurance is not accepted, so you have to get an add on and allow a major deposit then they rip you off extra charges when you return it and try to settle up.

My wife, daughter and grandkids have just booked to go over to  London then across to Galway (Shannon) in July. There will be 6 maybe 7 of them, i told them I don’t want to see the bill until I have to!

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, loppylugs said:

Glad yer son is OK Martyn !

Saw the consultant & was exactly as expected.

He showed me the MRI scan on a computer & spoke in Bulwell terms so I was able to understand what he was saying.

Cervical spinal stenosis he said & is operable but with no guarantees either way & will be explained by the spinal consultant next month. Looks very invasive to me & I looking at a YT video I don't think so !

I'll put my trust in the Lord not some scalpel happy surgeon !

• Like 1

Right on, Mick.  No scalpel happy quack is gonna take a knife to me unless it were absolutely life or death and I'm not sure about that.  I'd rather go home.  

• Like 1

Been mentioned before by others on here but today we’ve had ELEVEN of those dodgy phone calls on our landline, some are ‘International’ or ‘Unavailable’ but 6 have been the same number supposedly in Bracknell (as I googled it to find out). Nobody on the other end, just a click and a “Goodbye”   On 2 occasions I picked up the phone and said nothing at all and an Asian bloke asked for me by name.  Told him I was deceased.  He immediately ended the call.  Who the hell are these morons who take on a job like that?   I can deal with the calls but I remember my old Dad being quite stressed when he answered the phone and nobody was there.

Oh and we’re both wondering why we’re occasionally getting calls in the middle of the night on our mobiles from a number in Papua New Guinea, we don’t know anybody there!  Our phones ring once (just enough to wake us up) then stop.  Grrrrrr!

And yes, we’ve got TPS but they don’t stop these annoying intrusive calls.  

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, catfan said:

Glad yer son is OK Martyn !

Saw the consultant & was exactly as expected.

He showed me the MRI scan on a computer & spoke in Bulwell terms so I was able to understand what he was saying.

Cervical spinal stenosis he said & is operable but with no guarantees either way & will be explained by the spinal consultant next month. Looks very invasive to me & I looking at a YT video I don't think so !

I'll put my trust in the Lord not some scalpel happy surgeon !

Catfan, 

My daughter in law, who I love very much, is a pediatrician so it is not that I hate all doctors but people think I’m a nutcase when it comes to Orthopedic doctors. At this moment in time I have 2 employees who have back “injuries”. We send them to the doctor under workers comp and they are put on light duty (can’t lift more than 5 lbs). Physio 3 times a week and 8 weeks later plus many thousands of $, I am told they can’t go back to work. In this case and this is just one of perhaps 50, over the years involving Orthopedic surgeons things to get worse, not better. Personally, and I strongly recommend this, whenever I hurt my back I go to the kyropractor and within a couple of weeks my pain is reduced and after that it goes away. So I am in absolute agreement with you that you should as much as possible avoid these charlatans.

Never had back ache in my life Martyn, the problem is spinal cord pinched causing weakness in legs & diabetic neuropathy in legs too. Surgery he said won't cure anything but possibly slow further problems occuring with no promises either way. better when I speak to spinal consultant next month.

This procedure looks very involved to me !

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

Been mentioned before by others on here but today we’ve had ELEVEN of those dodgy phone calls on our landline, some are ‘International’ or ‘Unavailable’ but 6 have been the same number supposedly in Bracknell (as I googled it to find out). Nobody on the other end, just a click and a “Goodbye”   On 2 occasions I picked up the phone and said nothing at all and an Asian bloke asked for me by name.  Told him I was deceased.  He immediately ended the call.  Who the hell are these morons who take on a job like that?   I can deal with the calls but I remember my old Dad being quite stressed when he answered the phone and nobody was there.

Oh and we’re both wondering why we’re occasionally getting calls in the middle of the night on our mobiles from a number in Papua New Guinea, we don’t know anybody there!  Our phones ring once (just enough to wake us up) then stop.  Grrrrrr!

And yes, we’ve got TPS but they don’t stop these annoying intrusive calls.  

Because I am over 65 I am entitled to Medicare but because I still work and am covered by our company insurance I don’t use it. However the rule is that you have to register for it when you reach 65 or you will lose it. Medicare has a feature, somewhat similar BUPA, in as much as you can pay privately for supplementary benefits. I must get 5 calls a day, every day and at night from people all over the USA, some with numbers very close to mine of my those of my family, trying to sell me supplemental insurance. I also get ones from people claiming I owe taxes and will go to gaol, that my credit cards and being fraudulently used etc. I can imagine some people getting really worried about these calls. There are some laws on the books but they don’t appear to be that affective.

10 minutes ago, catfan said:

Never had back ache in my life Martyn, the problem is spinal cord pinched causing weakness in legs & diabetic neuropathy in legs too. Surgery he said won't cure anything but possibly slow further problems occuring with no promises either way. better when I speak to spinal consultant next month.

This procedure looks very involved to me !

i understand - sorry 

Just one of my pet peeves 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

That's not the one where they fuse the vertebrae together, is it? I know a couple of people who've had that done...with mixed results.

I had this op done through my company BUPA membership about 12 years ago and it sorted out my sciatica a treat. 

Before the op. I was taking really strong painkillers just to keep upright. (I was OK laying down). My symptoms came on very quickly and previously I'd had no back problems whatsoever.

• Like 2

I was up and walking again within a few days but my back ached for about three to four weeks. It was nowhere near as uncomfortable as the sciatica I was getting previously.

I'm pain free now but my back will ache for a few days if I try and lift anything too heavy. The ache is eased with a couple of ibuprofen. 

Before the op. I was taking dihydrocodeine every 4 hours. Addictive stuff. When I stopped taking them after the op I had a week of cold turkey where I was waking up feeling very agitated. No pain just a tension which kept me awake. It passed eventually but not pleasant.

• Like 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Things that pee you off...