One of the worst offenders is Colmans, of Mustard fame. They seem to have gone rapidly downhill since being bought out by Unilever and re-located from Norwich to Burton Upon Trent and Germany.

They first tried changing the recipe for their English Mustard to something akin to a 'mousse', which didn't go down at all well with customers and elicited lots of complaints.  I think they've bowed to pressure and reverted to something like the original, but I've since discovered that perfectly acceptable alternatives are available from the likes of Aldi ('Blackwell's' Brand) etc.

Next up, Colman's doubled the price and halved the jar size of their Horseradish Sauce.  Another suicidal act, as the likes of Tesco produce acceptable alternatives.  For me, Tesco's basic own brand Horseradish is better than their 'Finest' version.  And as a bonus, Colman's has priced itself out of the market to the extent that it can often be found heavily discounted as it approaches its 'sell by' date.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jill, I’ve stoked it up with Gourmet catfood. All gone quiet now after a couple of hours of frenzied activity while it was collecting bedding

It’s so simple , boil potatoes and onions in their skins, when cooked skin them whilst they are hot ( I like skin on potatoes) and add a good dollop of olive oil and a splash or two of vinegar then mi

Look what we’ve got back, it’s nest building in my border.   

3 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

Colmans, of Mustard fame.

I remember my dad saying that Colman's made their fortune on what was left on the side of the plate or what was left in the mustard jar of the cruet set. Of course, this was in the days when we mixed our own from mustard powder.

• Like 1

We still have a part used tin of Colman's Mustard powder in the cupboard.  As far as I can see the sell by date is 2011. :biggrin:

I used to prefer it in my famous cheese sauce, as it mixed easily into the flour when making the roux.  These days I just stir the made up stuff in after making the roux, but before adding milk. Works either way, and a cheese sauce without a good dollop of mustard is a feeble thing...

34 minutes ago, Oztalgian said:

Wow! Just a quid for twice the length but what do they taste like? I'm not certain, but I don't think we have an equivalent national chain like Greggs.

Greggs sausage rolls are excellent. I reckon they are one of the best items they produce. Now you've got me wanting one :hungr:

1 minute ago, The Pianoman said:

Greggs sausage rolls are excellent. I reckon they are one of the best items they produce.

My late brother reckoned that their Steak Bake was the best product they had. Never had either so I can't be a judge.

2 hours ago, DJ360 said:

We still have a part used tin of Colman's Mustard powder in the cupboard.  As far as I can see the sell by date is 2011. :biggrin:

Reading this made me go and look at my tin of mustard powder. Jan 89. Crikey, I guess not many recipes have called for it!!!!

• Like 1

I think we may hold the record... until we had our new kitchen 5 yrs ago..we had a jar of Schwartz Ground Bay Leaves. It had a sales label from The Schwartz Spice Centre, The Octagon Shopping Centre, High Wycombe...where I met Mrs Col in 1971.....:laugh:

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, The Pianoman said:

Greggs sausage rolls are excellent. I reckon they are one of the best items they produce. Now you've got me wanting one :hungr:

Know how much pork in a Greggs sausage roll?

18%. The bright pink filling can include virtually any part of a pig, including offal, sinew, and intestines.

And that’s why they don’t/can’t advertise it as a pork sausage roll.

The psychology of food and eating is complex.

I worked in the food industry for many years. I'm a chemist by profession so have a good technical insight into food.

Usually I work on the basis that if the food is safe, tasty and moral/ethical ie not an endangered species or human then it's OK.

Yet there are things I still can't bring myself to eat because I can't get my head around it.

Take crocodile for example. It ticks all the aforementioned boxes yet I wouldn't eat it because it just doesn't sit right with me.

Another example is pork kidney which I love yet there are many people who wouldn't eat them even if they were starving.

The list goes on. Stilton cheese, venison, marmite.

It took me years to appreciate Stilton and I detest garlic.

In my working days I was told many times that we eat with our eyes. More like we eat with our head.

All around the world people eat some very strange things that most in the UK wouldn't entertain and yet these weird foods might taste delicious if we could bring ourselves to try them, but you go first lol.

• Upvote 1

I can't bear the thought or sight or taste of milk on its own. I'm only happy with milk when it's hidden within something greater.

It stems from the days of being force-fed milk at school. I hated having to drink one of those small bottles of milk with a straw; the taste, the smell and the sight of it were revolting back then, and still are today

11 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I know it’s probably a bit plebby for someone who’s eaten in the finest restaurants (not recently though) but my favourite meal is pork chop, chips and baked beans with lots of Worcestershire sauce. Trying to negotiate it for tonight’s dinner!

Sounds good to me Phil. Best with the kidney on the pork chop IMHO

I'm a man of simple tastes. A bacon sandwich, egg and chips, steak and chips, cottage pie, mushy peas, cheese on toast. They all tick my three boxes.

I like McDonalds too which the foodies would dismiss I'm sure.

I used to like KFC but the chicken is not so good these days.

Pizza Hut is nice but the posh pizzas have too much garlic for me.

A Sunday roast (not lamb though) with cauliflower cheese and properly cooked ie crisp roast potatoes.

I believe the kidney was removed from pork chops under European regulations (mixing meat with offal) but I believe that rule has been rescinded since we withdrew. I have seen them with kidneys in Stoppards of Southwell but it’s still not common practice. I too enjoy a Big Mac, especially on a long car journey. Sunday breakfast here is always bacon, black pudding, tomatoes, mushrooms and fried bread. I would like sausages and hash browns but I don’t want to push my luck. Bring back the Little Chef Olympic Breakfast! Roast potatoes in this house are referred to as ‘bastard potatoes’ but I don’t know the derivation.

Food is interesting! Likes and dislikes are so varied. When I married an Italian and came here to meet my future in laws I was certainly a bit naive about food and it’s preparation and no I’m not an expert now. Eventually was introduced to many combinations of food that I wouldn’t have thought was possible to like. I hate tripe  but I like liver .I love Italian food, Chinese, Japanese and Indian.  But at Pizza Hut shoot the chef . Garlic doesn’t go on Pizzas neither does pineapple. If you like it spicy get a Margherita and sprinkle some peperoncino on it.

• Upvote 1