Pubs closing or closed down

I’ll let someone else take up the Muslim issue I’m not going to get into a slinging match over religion and the freedom to choose what one believes in.

The closure of pubs is an issue of which I don’t mind venting my spleen over.

One doesn’t go on a Muslim hit list for that.

Personally I’m all for no smoking in pubs, even though if I was still a smoker now you would be hearing me complain at ever opportunity.

Even though most pubs have bent over backwards by providing these social outcasts with warm bum friendly seating and hurricane proof shelter there still seems a decline in trade.

Maybe these establishments ought take a closer look at why people are staying away, and what can they do to make those who are left happier.

Cost of the beer is one of my complaints and all of you have heard me complain about the price of beer in and around Sawley after all I brew my own for less than 25pence a pint.

When one pays the same for a glass of fizzy pop as one does for a pint of beer there’s something very wrong in my opinion there too.

I only have to walk a little bit farther than my local and I can cut the cost of a pint by 70pence by going into a warm and friend club.

Not only the beers cheaper but the eatables are to, I would pay a £1 for a bag of scratching in the Nags, 65pence in the club, peanuts and dry roasted follow suit.

There are several pubs in Long Eaton that have been closed due to drugs raids, these pubs are up for rent, I can’t see these establishments ever opening again not in these days of ever increasing prices and acquisitiveness land lords.

Bip now on free prescriptions.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you stood there and paid that for four drinks then you and the landlord deserve each other...I'd have told them to sod off and walked out.

Apart from, BBC news Sky news RT news wild life stuff Cow-boy films Judge judy The chase Fools and horses last of summer wine Emmerdale Coronatio

Posted Images

Couldn't agree more! As a cost comparison, a few miles from where we live is a micro-brewery. If you take them a clean, empty, sterilized 5-gallon keg (they were used for soft drinks over here), they will fill it with the brew of your choice for $35 - that works out at about 50p per UK pint - AND (I presume) they make a profit on it!

Beer prices over there seem to have gone crazy - I suspect the club is also making a profit on the beer it sells, and the membership fees are more than reasonable - one has to wonder why the pub prices are so high. On the other hand, places that have good beer (and sell a lot of it) also seem to charge fair prices - The Poacher is a great example!

Obviously the real answer is to sell more beer cheaper, than a little at ripoff prices!

As a social outcast I would love to know where the hurricane proof shelters are.I'm informed by local landlords that they have to be open on all sides.Why open on one side isn't sufficient God only knows.

Paul.

Apparently the law is they should be 50% open to the elements, ie three sides of a box , and yes , where are these hurricane proof shelters???

• 2 weeks later...

A spokesman for the pub trade was questioned on Radio 4 a few weeks ago as to the vast difference in prices of soft drinks between the supermarket and a pub...

He stated that it was a completely different ball game as 'The pubs supplied comfortable surroundings to drink in.'(He wants to see some of the dumps round here.) Heating,staff,and overheads...(So do supermarkets) Working unsocial hours...(Supermarkets open 7 days early till late) Entertainment like pool (Which you pay for) and darts...(Big deal...new board every five years and a quids worth of chalk)

The only comment he won on was that some supplied Sky TV for sport.

Re Ice in drinks (mentioned awhile back) NEVER not ever, not nohow get ice in a pub, Having worked in pub catering equipement fitting trade can tell you most pubs return unused ice cubes of the day into the freezer for next one, day after day after day, thaw refreeze, thaw refreeze etc

(another tip never employ an Amish Electrician to rewire your house)

A spokesman for the pub trade was questioned on Radio 4 a few weeks ago as to the vast difference in prices of soft drinks between the supermarket and a pub...

He stated that it was a completely different ball game as 'The pubs supplied comfortable surroundings to drink in.'(He wants to see some of the dumps round here.) Heating,staff,and overheads...(So do supermarkets) Working unsocial hours...(Supermarkets open 7 days early till late) Entertainment like pool (Which you pay for) and darts...(Big deal...new board every five years and a quids worth of chalk)

The only comment he won on was that some supplied Sky TV for sport.

Still doesn't explain the price of bottled or fountain soft drinks. They are much cheaper to manufacture and store and don't attract excise duty at nearly 10/- a pint (inc VAT).

Just to set minds all over the world at rest. I have worked in the pub trade on and off for the last 30 years and never, I repeat never , has unused ice gone back in to the ice makers or freezers in any establishment I have been involved in . We simply gaged the amount of ice required out, by time of evening ,and what the clientel at the time where drinking.

I cannot explain (One of my big bug bears too) why soft drinks cost so much. (A pint of blackcurrant cordial £1.80p, pint of bitter £1.90p , no brainer really !!)

I always said that if I ever owned a pub here that i would do my damndest to keep the price of soft drinks down, but then there would be one more pub going bust as there is no profit in just beer or spirits any more , this is also the reason so many have gone from just boozers to restaurnts too

Well you was well safe down the Variety then we always ran out of ice half way though the shift and that machine was kicking out 70+kg every 24 hours , i can not see any point to put ice back in a ice machine that's plumbed into the water mains kicking ice out 24/7 ?

Why not just turn it off every night ...................... save electric ........DOH!!

Never heard anything so stupid in all my life .

• 2 weeks later...

The cost of soft drinks, would it have anything to do with most pubs are leased so therefore the rent is astronomical which in turn pushes the prices up?

Bip.

Still doesn't explain the price of bottled or fountain soft drinks. They are much cheaper to manufacture and store and don't attract excise duty at nearly 10/- a pint (inc VAT).

I'm currently in Kelowna in British Columbia, Canada. The pub that I have been frequenting, Roses, (one that is on the lakeside and part of an expensive hotel so very nice) has a great deal on soft drinks - they're free.

A pint of Molson Canadian (5%) two pounds thirty-five equivalent price. A large glass of ice tea for the missus for nothing. It's an encouragement here in some places to promote designated drivers. How extremely cool is that. No ripping off here. They want to retain your custom, (and they do).

"retain custom" ?!?! seems such an alien concept now in the U.K,,,,,, that used to be the main-stay of all businesses & services at one time,,,, now no-gives a toss whether you go back or not,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Quite right Bazzer.

I think we have it wrong in the UK but that's just a personal opinion based on my regular visits to Canada (and other places) over the years.

In the UK it seems to be the idea is to give as little as possible for as much as possible. In North America as an example I find that people want to give you a good and fair deal in the hope that you will return. I know which I think is the better business plan...

If you had purchased £1000 of Northern Rock shares one year ago it would now be worth £4.95.

With HBOS, earlier this week your £1000 would have been worth £16.50

£1000 invested in XL Leisure would now be worth less than £5.

But if you bought £1000 worth of Stella Artois Lager one year ago, drank it all, then took the empty cans to an aluminum re-cycling plant, you would get £214. So based on the above statistics the best current investment advice is to drink heavily and re-cycle.

Where did you get those figures from , fantasy Footsie ?? (If it's meant as a joke sorry )

What a lot of retailers & service providers are bothered about now, is ripping you off for a couple of quid,,,, the thick, stupid B***** don’t understand that they lose hundreds or thousands of pounds in return custom.

This even goes down to the big, well known brands (that used to be ?!).

They get taken over by big corporate companies because "they are doing well” then get cut to ribbons to save a tanner in the dispatch or some such department, & eventually they absolutely ruin the service that they bought – COZ THEY CHANGED IT – then pass it on to someone else,,,,, but the old fashioned brand reputation has now been lost.

When I think of the ‘big boys’ & Great British brands that used to be, it makes me weep to see ‘em now,,,,,, almost all (if not all) is a shadow of themselves,,,,,, even tho’ they may still carry the ‘brand name’,,, they are now as bad as the rest of ‘em.

“wouldn’t ‘appen in our day”,,,, ooops,,,, it IS our day !

Com'n Bazzer - don't be shy mate. Just NAME & SHAME.

We'd all like to know who you are talking about !englandflag!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Pubs closing or closed down