Pubs closing or closed down

The companies running the pubs deserve everything they get...

If they'd spent some money on upkeep instead of letting 'em turn into muck holes, more would still be open.

They got smacked with the smoking ban because they were too tight to spend a few quid on decent air conditioning to clear the atmosphere.Most of 'em with a knackered expelair in one wall and that was it.They knew it was on the cards years ago and did nothing.

Never mind ...lot's of lovely car park land to sell to build the three storey Noddy houses.And that's bitten 'em in the behind with the housing crisis.

Paul.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you stood there and paid that for four drinks then you and the landlord deserve each other...I'd have told them to sod off and walked out.

Apart from, BBC news Sky news RT news wild life stuff Cow-boy films Judge judy The chase Fools and horses last of summer wine Emmerdale Coronatio

Posted Images

Hall Park Tavern now officially closed. The builders / wrecking crew are moving in. Soon to be gereatric accommodation

• 2 weeks later...

Found myself driving past The Rose Grower in Bramcote on the way home from work tonight, just being nosy at how the place was, drove past it last NYE, and shocked to see so few people in, bigger shock tonight, there were the sale boards, with the sold signs on them, advertised as being fit for development purposes (non public house use!) .....................Another one bites the dust!

The Standard of England on Park Lane is now reduced to rubble.

And the Red Lion on Nuthall Road is in the process of being demolished.

Hi Craig

We also drove past the Rose Grower took a couple of photos for old times sake. We still have my dads name board from over the front door. It used to be busy in the 70's but not so in recent years. Looks like it will housing like they have on the old L & M site.

Val

Rose Grower?

Is that the one on the A52 between Bramcote island and the Priory island?

If so I was only in there having a meal recently.

Bip.

Phew! Just managed to plough through the 19 pages of topic. See that Katyjay started it long time ago with mention of Rise Park, and there has been some reference to the Charles II since then.

This has probably been closed and shuttered for around 12 months now. Deteriorating slowly, but on the market (delicenced) for £450,000 - plus VAT - if anyone wants to take it on. Some recent photos on http://www.risepark.plus.com/pictures_page.htm if anyone interested.

Hi Craig

We also drove past the Rose Grower took a couple of photos for old times sake. We still have my dads name board from over the front door. It used to be busy in the 70's but not so in recent years. Looks like it will housing like they have on the old L & M site.

Val

Spent some happy hours in there with your mum and dad.................and the Hine cognac!

Such a shame the traditional pub is disappearing, in some cases closing completely, in others becoming "wooden spoon" restaurants, if you dont know what I mean by that, you dont get waiter/ress service, you check your table number, and upon ordering your food you are presented with a wooden spoon with a number on it so your order can find its way........sometimes!

I ought to have mentioned two other establishments that ive beeen aware of in this situation (closing/changed)

they are The Old Volunteer at Caythorpe, soon to be reopened as a restaurant, non wooden spoon I believe, and The Marquis in Hoveringham, which has become a B & B, with private dining facilties for groups of twelve or more.

Fond memories of the Old Volunteer at Caythorpe...

We played an annual Bank Holiday Monday day match against Caythorpe CC, in the 60's... The superb lunch and tea that the pub provided ensured that all the players merely waddled around in the game's latter stages!

Somewhat ironically, I understand that the pub has been marginalised over the years by the cricket club's own spacious clubhouse becoming the social hub of the village.

Cheers

Robt P.

Is that the one on the A52 between Bramcote island and the Priory island?

Den - it's the one at the roundabout at the A52 and Toton Lane. There used to be a huge rose farm (Wheatcrofts?) there back in the 60's along with a very popular display for rose purchasers! The pub was probably built in the mid/late 60's and, I believe, named for Tom Wheatcroft.

All changed now, of course!

Den - it's the one at the roundabout at the A52 and Toton Lane. There used to be a huge rose farm (Wheatcrofts?) there back in the 60's along with a very popular display for rose purchasers! The pub was probably built in the mid/late 60's and, I believe, named for Tom Wheatcroft.

All changed now, of course!

I don't recall a pub on the A52/Toton Lane (Bardill's) roundabout at all. Can anyone else?

As described in prior posts, the Nurseryman is at the corner of Wollaton Road and Derby Road, between the Bramcote and Priory roundabouts.

The Rose Grower is on the Bramcote Hills estate at the corner of Sandringham Drive and Bankfield Drive.

You are right about the Wheatcroft connection however. Wheatcroft Nursery was indeed at Bardill's roundabout. Although the Rose Grower was named after Harry Wheatcroft, it was actually closer to Lowes Nurseries, which were on Derby Road (opposite The Nurseryman) between Sandy Lane and the Priory roundabout.

I think you were right too SR, if you were to go towards Toton from the roundabout ,Gregorys was on the right and Wheatcrofts was on the left , (Or if travelling towards Derby Wheatcrofts came before and Gregorys after the round about) They may still be there.!!

My late Maternal Grandfather had a lot to do with Gregorys and their annual show inparticular (Mum has a photo of him talking to Percy Thrower somewhere who was always a guest there )

Yep - I think you are right about the "Rose Grower". Yes there were two rose places onToton Lane for a while, I think Wheatcrofts was there first, then came Gregories and I think it all became one sometime in the 70's!

I do remember my mum went up there on a WI trip and met Harry Wheatcroft!

Was forgetting Fade as well mate. Another thing there is that most women I know are happy enough to go in such a place - imagine asking them to go to The Rose of England?

The last tennant of the Rose of England took over a nice pub from Leanne and Barbara and set about ruining the place. He's gone now (bankruptcy awaits). Punch Taverns have reopened with a temporary manager.

It'll take a lot of work to sort out The RofE but at least there are light bulbs in the place now !clapping!

• 3 weeks later...

I read somewhere that the P.C. lot had made things so difficult with red tape and rules,that people were just giving up and walking away.

Once the pub,the church,and the village hall were the centre of British way of life,now its the Mosque,the Jail,and the pawnbrokers` shops!

To think my father and his mates sacrificed 6 years of life and more for Britain as it is today!

British pubs have closed at the rate of five a day during the first half of this year, according to new figures.

Closures have accelerated to 36 a week, up 33% from the 27 closures a week during 2007, the British Beer and Pub Association (BBPA) said.

Pubs are now closing nine times faster than in 2006 and 18 times faster than in 2005, the figures, compiled by market researcher CGA Strategy, show. A total of 1,409 pubs closed during 2007.

Publicans blame the supermarkets for using booze as a cheap 'come in' line.For the first time this year beer sales from supermarkets will overtake the sales from pubs.

While the British public continue with their blinkered support of the giant four....pubs,markets,local butchers,greengrocers, and the rest will continue to disappear.

The British public themselves are responsible...there's nobody else to blame.

Paul.

I for one have stopped 'Pubbing it' partly for health and partly because of the expence. If I went to the pub it would cost me £25-30 for a night out, compare that to stating in and sharing a couple of bottles of cheap plonk £7, no brainer really

I understand the bit about your father fighting for his country Stan, believe me I do,!! But compare society now , with 60 years before the wars !! Things move on and we have to exept changes unfortunately some are for the worse , but most are for the better. (Lets slow down the rise of the Muslims O.K. because it's inevitable that they going to carry on growing as long as we let them!!)

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Pubs closing or closed down