Did You Live In Radford?

I Lived on Boden Street near the bottom, 2 Nites a week wud go to tennison hall youth clud to meet ya mates,

They wud play all the great 60s music had dances with local girls, Other nies it wud be the pictures- Windsor

or Capital or Savoy Derby road, Weekends could be the Variety club on Salsbury street- The local pubs,After

Time wud go back my sisters house to finish the nite off with there mates great times, Then got married joined the

Army did my time, Times had then changed to the 70s.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fetching water, Chapel St ca: 1950 Leonards

Ingoldmells, Some sort bomb shelter in the background. Me pushing the pram lol

Chapel St Leonards ca: 1950

Posted Images

My Grandparents and Great Grandparents lived in Radford from the late 1880's to the early 1950's

I have never been able to find the names of the streets they lived on, the information on first names is very sketchy.

Their surnames were Hoskins and Hickling and somewhere along the way the two names combined to become Hoskins Hickling.

When I first started work around 1966 - 67 one of my college friends came from Radford, he was very keen on cycle racing. He sometimes biked to Skeggy and back in a day.

Not sure if he was perhaps even a member of Notts Clarion?

His surname was Fowler and I think he was known as "Freddy" for some reason, although I don't think that was his real christian name.

At college he was always reading "Cycling Monthly" or some similar magazine. I remember him being devastated when Tommy Simpson (famous cyclist) died.

He was very much a "Mod" and always dressed in the latest "gear" when we all went out. A really great bloke, wonder what became of him?

Smiffy

• Upvote 2

We used to live on Boden Street near the bottom, The Corner shop was owned by i think mr- mrs wilkinson grandma to johnny wilkinson,

All the local lads used to congregate just above skillies chippy on denman street listening to 60s music great times, Could go on. Myself Terry Gilmore. Geg, and a few others would be there most of the nite, Then before we went in we would get some chips and batter bits from skills chippy it was just a open type shed if you like, Not seen my mates in many a year,

Walked along Radford Road yesterday evening. Some lovely looking period houses and a nice looking guest house that I would not mind staying at for a few days holiday. Some great views and massive history here. So where was I?

• 5 months later...

Just gone through all the posts in this thread. I was born on Grimston Road in the mid 50's and lived there until 1971. Moved back briefly in 74 but then returned and lived 19 years behind the Capitol Cinema from 1981. I live well away from the City now out in the sticks.

Post 89 Clif Ton couldn't recall the name of the corner shop at the top of Grimston Road. I lived opposite and it was Hudsons. Used to go for 10 Park Drive for my mum and she would put them in a paper bag as I was only 8 or so. The corner of Glentworth Road was another corner shop, Tollson's. My dad was a close friend and Mr Tollson always went with my dad to Notts County matches. Every local game and aways if they weren't to far. My dad bought Mr Tollson's car which we had for years. A green Morris Minor. I still remember the number SBP 154.

Post 102 mentions Terry Doakes who owned the Stork Club on Alfreton Road. He lived in a big house on Derby Road near the QMC entrance and drove a XjS jag. He died suddenly years ago. My neighbour did his books for years.

And there is mention of the exotic dancer aka stripper Sonia Suberu. I. Know her real name but won't say it here. I once visited her flat which was above a shop in Bulwell to do some work. She had a large collection of antique dolls who were all sat around a large table laid out for a meal and in the corner was a Victorian shops mannequin dressed as a witch. Scared the life out of me. She was very pleasant. Sonia that is, not the witch.

I used to go to the 'Croft' nursery which was down the back of the Plough on StPeters Street and does any one remember the playground on StPeters Street with a paddling pool at the very bottom.

• Upvote 1

I lived behind the Capitol on Truro Crescent from 1958 ish to 63. Towlsons had the sweet shop on the corner outside the Capitol.

I used to play with their kids, Peter and Hilary. Their shop was for many years a Bang & Olufson audio equipment retailer.

Forgot to tell you, my parents owned the Capitol Fisheries chippy at the Capitol end of the row of shops on Alfreton Rd. Early 52, till about 63.

I was on Truro too but well after you. From 81 to 2000. I remember the shop you mean well. We used to play football at the side of the Capitol as it was a cul de sac there wasn't a deal of traffic. The people in the shop used to clear us of as well as the miserable old bugger in the end house. The Tollson's shop I refer to was definitely 100% on the corner of Glentworth. Maybe a coincidence that the similar name on the shop you mention. It was Peter Anson's most of the time I lived there. I know they relocated to Arnold.

No4 I lived at.

I was born on Grimston Road in the mid 50's and lived there until 1971.

Post 89 Clif Ton couldn't recall the name of the corner shop at the top of Grimston Road. I lived opposite and it was Hudsons.

We often visited my grandma's house during the 1960s, so I definitely went past your house many times when you were there.

I lived behind the Capitol on Truro Crescent from 1958 ish to 63. Towlsons had the sweet shop on the corner outside the Capitol.

And I know the location because on our visits we would sometimes go down to the railway footbridge on Alfreton road (near the Wheatsheaf) to watch the trains.

My ex wife's family lived in Radford on Independent Street. They had a fruit/veg shop name of Matthews. There was Vernon, Christine,Pam and Alison.

Their neighbours were the Finches , Malcolm and his two sisters whose names I can't remember at the moment.

Post 102 mentions Terry Doakes who owned the Stork Club on Alfreton Road. He lived in a big house on Derby Road near the QMC entrance and drove a XjS jag. He died suddenly years ago. My neighbour did his books for years.

Terry Doakes was in the same class as me at Berridge. Blond, good looking lad and the 'smart Alec' of the class. He thought school was a joke and was bottom of class in spite of having his head screwed on. Met him when we were about 23 and he was in a spot of bother. Hadn't changed much :blink:

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I was born in Radford, Number 4 Clayton Square...1943

Put into Hartley road childrens home aged 2 can't remember exactly. Put into foster care and grew up on Cockington Rd Bilborough

Is Clayton Square just off Ronald Street?

Yes, I think that's the one, I know it was just off Denman Street

Not really off Ronald Street, Melissa; officially listed as being off Hornbuckle Street - which no longer exists.

clayton.jpg