Talking about fire hazards, these stupid power outlets over here come with "quick connect" connections. They are where the lazy person can push the wires in, instead of using the screw terminal when installing them. Damned things should be banned, the amount I've found that are burned up!! I often wonder how many house fires have been started by them!

I was trained by the old NCB to inspect an accident site, like all my fellow ex pit electricians and write up reports, including a fire site, so know what to look for, although far from being an expert in the field!!

Putting anything flamable on top of the TV is risky! How many peeps put a flower vase with water in it on top of the TV?? A cotton doily?? TV's generate heat.

Also with the modern TV's, they have the main circuit board right up at the front of the set, NEVER use a damp cloth to clean that screen!! Water can run down between the tube and cabinet onto the main circuit board.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks very much, Michael. I'm an ex-pat from Risley and my wife's from just outside the City (Nottingham). We moved to Dorset about thirty years ago then returned to Nottingham in 2009 to be closer t

Nice to make your acquaintance, Melissa . You might like to take a glance at my YouTube channel. A couple of Nottingham items there - and I'm a bit of a jazz buff. Most of these are recordings I'v

Posted Images

Another way of killing your TV stone dead is to site your Christmas tree so the tinsel falls into the back. Not a good thing at all...

Tinsel and Tellies do not mix.

A Shock

• 6 months later...
And how of on earth could I forget:

"They asked me how I knew it was Esso Blue,

I of course replied,

With lower grades one buys,

Smoke gets in your eyes."

Cheers,

Bamber

Sung to which tune, by who originally?

!rulez! I read that as a Niggers Tail first time around, big mistake, well nearly..

!rulez! Talking of big, is it truth that our Black friends do have Bigger members..

!rulez! And if so where can i go to turn my skin black....I've tried these tanning booths and spray places, there fine for a couple of weeks but after that it becomes embarassing................................. :Fool:

• 8 years later...

Putting anything flamable on top of the TV is risky! How many peeps put a flower vase with water in it on top of the TV?? A cotton doily?? TV's generate heat.

Also with the modern TV's, they have the main circuit board right up at the front of the set, NEVER use a damp cloth to clean that screen!! Water can run down between the tube and cabinet onto the main circuit board.

My daft sister put a flower vase on top of her telly: Of course the kids knocked it over, water went in the telly & it went 'fizzle, pop, phutt, smoke, & that was the end of that telly.

When I lived in the Meadows you'd often go in someones house & the paraffin heater smell would hit you as you walked in the door, when I'd get home Mam'd say "you've been to so & so's haven't you!" She knew by the smell coming off my clothes..

Bit difficult to put "owt" on these thin TV's now, even the cat can't sit on them....LOL

We've still got a 20 inches CRT TV in the bedroom, still works perfect after 13/14 years, got a cheapo digi-box from Tesco for it when analog shut down..

A lot of poor people seemed to use paraffin heaters when I was a kid in the Meadows, I presume it must have been cheaper than buying coal or gas..

In the 50's and 60's paraffin stoves were the heaters of choice, at least in our street and home. As we were all leaving the house for school or work the coal fire was not made up until the evening, so the paraffin was lit first thing to get some warmth into into the house. I can even now recall the delight of waking up to the fragrance of that awful stove.

From the 70's on Mum and Dad invested in technology and dumped the stove in favour of a calor gas portable heater, such luxury!

It wasn't cheaper than coal, it was just more convenient, quick to fill, easy to light and no ashes to clean out.

They didn't warm house like a coal fire did though, a coal fire heated the brick chimney which gave out heat.

Plus of course paraffin heaters stunk the whole house out, but we smokers never noticed LOL.

• 8 months later...

Thanks very much, Michael. I'm an ex-pat from Risley and my wife's from just outside the City (Nottingham). We moved to Dorset about thirty years ago then returned to Nottingham in 2009 to be closer to our family. This looks an interesting site and I look forward to making an occasional contribution.

Best wishes - Pete

• Upvote 3

Nice to make your acquaintance, Melissa .

You might like to take a glance at my YouTube channel. A couple of Nottingham items there - and I'm a bit of a jazz buff. Most of these are recordings I've either made or restored. Pete

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKMqtlcpq2MO9tzbkLaLhpQ

• Upvote 1

Hello and welcome Pete.

Your name and face seem a little familiar to me but it doesn't tally with your current location. Have we met before somewhere along the line?

Hello Malcolm,

I have just taken a look at your interesting website but I cannot recall having had the pleasure of meeting you. That's not to say our paths haven't crossed somewhere back in the annals time, of course but I left Nottinghamshire around the early 1970s and moved to Blandford Forum in Dorset, where my wife and I lived until November 2009. Following a rather nasty stroke, we moved back here to be nearer family - so I guess if we did know each other it would be pre-1972-ish. I used to record quite a bit of piano so I wonder is you knew Harry Brown (great jazz pianist) or perhaps Bob Hudson, who is still very much active? Warmest regards. Pete

I knew of Harry Brown (Basford??) and I know of Bob Hudson but I have met neither. My old Gaffer Bob Taylor looked after Harry Brown's piano and I remember an occasion when I went with him to do something to an upright that he had. We were there a few days but I never met him.

If we have met it would be post 1970's. It's your name that rings a bell more than anything.