How Much Are Your Old Records Worth?

I'm afraid there isn't much of a market for old vinyl now. Certainly nothing like there used to be.

I had a pretty big collection of records and I sold them all by renting stalls at record fairs.

I think I did 3 altogether. Got fairly reasonable prices.

In the 1990's they sold quite well, but nowadays the market is quite small.

If there's nothing rare about your records (limited edition, library music, oddities), then you're not really going to get much for them.

There a whole generation that have grown up without ever having seen vinyl records.

Playing equipment is becoming thin on the ground too.

The way things are going, CD is going to become obsolete.!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The subject has gone off piste a little, but is interesting nevertheless. Record-playing runs in our family. Before the war, dad, who was very good at carpentry, made a radiogram, in the art deco styl

'Diana' sung by Paul Anka (#109), always reminds me of the Nottingham Goose Fair. I'd be stood with my mates at the side of the Waltzers watching the girls screaming as the chaps walk around spinning

The thing about Hi-Fi and all the attendant gubbins was that the equipment was more than just for playing records, the stuff was 'Objet d'art'. It looked great as well as sounding great. I notice th

Posted Images

Still have all my vinyl from some early 10" Woody Herman from the 40`s through to the early 80`s when it became difficult to get them and everything was then on tape cassette, they were awful! I've still got a turntable for the LP`s though.

Bit of an obsession Micheal!! Collect foreign stuff-such as satanics m ajesties on the Israel label PAX. Dare'nt tell how singles-ep's and 12" singles i have. Had no woman for years so i amassed this vinyl tape and cd collection!! Loads of other stuff too from Marty Wilde to Motorhead.

#29.....I do agree but there are still some records out there that are in great demand and fetch the premium. Especially soul music on the original labels. I have sold some rare 7" and LP's for several £100 a record but not made as much as £25,000 for Frank Wilson's Do I Love You or the recently on offer Open the Door To you Heart by Darrel Banks at £20,000.

Going back to 1970 I paid £5 for a second hand copy of At the Discotheque by Chubby Checker on Cameo Parkway, that was a very lot of money at the time, you can now by that record for just a few £'s on the original label

• Upvote 1

Most of my vinyl collection is classical. Probably worth next to nothing today. So I'll probably just hang on to it and let my kids dump it when I croak. Probably the same for my CD's too. Seems a shame.

I wonder what my Adge Cutler vinyl LP is worth.....LOL

Micheal as i said earlier saw Billy Fury ju.st before he passed away a treasured moment.adge disc are creeping up. Check monthly record collector mag. Most exciting 45 rpm i have is Rocket 88 (1954) by Bill Haley it's on you tube

Ian #39, We saw Billy Fury on a few occasions just before he died. He did a tour and we followed him around the venues in the West Mids. I was so glad I got the chance to see him sing live. Never got the chance in the 60s.

He didn't look well, but he sang brilliantly. Mind you I was such a big fan, I wouldn't have cared what he sounded like.

We saw him backstage at a place called The Kingfisher, and got his autographed photo. I am hoping it is among all of my Newspaper cuttings and records upstairs. Must look tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Just looking in Record Collector magazine at the price of some LPs,I have all these in mint condition: Country Joe & the Fish/£40. Rolling Stones.Beggars Banquet/£80.Damned..Damned/£40.Small Faces.Ogden's/£70. Unbelievable prices.

• 1 month later...

Just scanned this thread and frankly I'm amazed at some of the views expressed.

1. Mint. Mint means just that, hardly, if ever played. No scratches, no centre hole wear, no fingermarks, cover in perfect condition, etc. etc.

2, 'record playing equipment is getting thin on the ground' What? There is more out there now than there ever was. TBH, a lot of it is utter shite, but there are loads of companies in the UK alone still producing very high quality record playing kit:

Linn Products (Glasgow) Still making the iconic Linn LP12 Record player, though I sold mine a couple of years ago for roughly what I paid for it 20 years earlier.

SME. Still making the very aspirational SME 30 Record Deck. A snip at around £15k. I have a friend who has one. They do cheaper decks for the plebs. :)

Mitchell Engineering. Still making the Gyrodec, The Orbe, etc. I have a Gyrodec SE, with an Orbe platter conversion.

Roksan. Stil making the Roksan Radius and the Xerxes.

Rega. Still making loads of decks including the P2, P9 etc.

That is hardly scratching the surface as there are producers of very fine record players operating worldwide. As with anything, you can pay silly money (£50k+ for an American Rockport anyone?), or you can buy crap, ( Various cheapo, 'do everything' decks advertised in papers and mags. Pointless buying them because they are rubbish players, so even if they do record your old knackered vinyl to digital or USB or whatever, they are just recording their crap playing.)

Or you can get sensible. Do you have 100 LPs in playable condition that you actually want to play? They'll cost you around £ 1000 to replace with CDs even if they're all available on CD. And CD does not sound like vinyl.

So buy something like a Project Debut Turntable from Richer Sounds for a couple of hundred quid and play the things properly.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/turntables/project/debut-se3/proj-debut-se-blk

Rant over ... :)

Col

Just ordered 50 year anniversary single of Satisfaction- with uk and usa b.sides. What will that be worth in 50 years?

Sadly, probably not much, because in 50 years all the Stones fans will be dead. It's going to be a nice thing to have, and may have a bit of extra value in a few years, but probs not in 50.

It's much like that with 78s. I have some very rare and notionally valuable 78s, (Elvis/Cochran and many others) but the music itself is easily obtainable on CD, or even (spit) MP3. And the old 78 collectors are dying off... I sold a copy of Ritchie Valens 'Come On Let's Go' on Pye 78 for £85 a few years back, but it's getting harder. Every so often I dig my somewhat 'lashed up' 78 player out of the loft and have a nostalgic afternoon, but 78s are not great sound quality wise. There were a number of 'standard' groove/stylus profiles over the years and unless you have one to suit each period, you are not going to get ideal sound.

The way I look at it now is that I buy the odd new thing on vinyl, but my vinyl set up is mostly for playing my 'vintage' vinyl. I have a few old singles, but I don't go chasing, for e.g., old Northern Soul on vinyl, because the bulk is available in better condition and much cheaper on CD.

After all, it's the music...

Col

Still got my old Thorens TD150 with a shure V15 III cartridge, DJ360. Still sounds as good as ever too. I don't want to sell it it but I wonder what it would be worth these days? Going on 50 years old!

Most of my vinyl collection is classical. Probably worth next to nothing today. So I'll probably just hang on to it and let my kids dump it when I croak. Probably the same for my CD's too. Seems a shame.

Loppy, there are some very collectable classical vinyl LPs out there. As ever, condition is everything, but the Mercury 'Living Presence', RCA 'Red Seal', and the Decca SXL series (especially the early 'wideband' ones ) can command big money. I bought a Schubert 9th by Kripps for 50p in Oxfam that's worth around £100.

Col