Just When You Thought Winter..

So glad today that I am not back in Nottingham with all that snow (hate it) it has been nice today - balmy 25 degrees...... if I want to see any snow - I can ski inside emirates mall at 'ski dubai' real snow there...only been once and that was cold enough for 45 mins!!!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No Margie, just the Scots !

Seeyoufu@kingpric*thatyouarecatfanf*c*ingsassanacckyoullgetafu*8ingglasgeekiss..................lol.

Highest point in Nottingham is Dorket head.

Highest in Nottinghamshire is the old Silver hill pit near Kirkby, some one said you can see Lincoln Cathedral from there.

According to the Ordnance Survey, the highest point in Nottinghamshire is near the M1 at Whiteborough Farm, near Huthwaite, measuring in at 203m (666 feet).

If you stand on Dorket head (highest point in Nott'm) and look due east the next higher point is in the Russian Steppes, so i was told too

Looking east from highest point in Notts (203 metres) you would hit land again near Pajęczno, mid-Poland (it would loosely have been called Russia pre 1990)

Useless fact as I cannot say the damn town name sober, but who knows, it might win a pub quiz one day.

Hey ho

You wouldn't be able to see all that way anyway - curvature of the earth and all that stuff!

Back on track - just heard we have had more snow this year (82" so far) than any year since they started keeping records in 1898! Yesterday it actually got above freezing for the first time since Christmas - and it looks like it might do it again today (a trend?). Despite the heat, we still have about a foot of snow on the ground!

Was always told Mapperley Top highest point in Nottingham? and the road does in fact drop down from where Tree Tops pub is towards Traveller's Rest and Dorket Head? where Winchester Street joins you can see Crich Stand from there, as regards Notts no idea where these places mentioned are but on the A611 join after shoulder of mutton hill turning to Kirkby are some cottages, are the wall of one is a plaque stateing "highest point in Nottinghamshire" not seen it for awhile but seem to recall sort of "official" like old cast iron street name sign and not some home made thing

Stapleford hill ( behind the Hemlock stone ) is about the highest point round here....Got one o them Trig point stones on top of it.....on a clear day you can see the nearest tree.

bet you spent some time up there when you were younger Kev

extra point for bramcote !laughing!

I can believe Dorket Head is amongst the highest..that's why the Romans had a settlement there...they must have been able to use a heliograph on a sunny day and signal fires at night from there to signal the camp at East Bridgeford (Thought to be Margidunum just off the Fosse) and probably other marching camps to the West.

The fort nearby at Fox Wood is at a slightly lower level than Dorket Head.The embankments and ditches are still very pronounced there...and standing on one on a quiet day certainly makes the mind wander back in time.

Anybody going out Arnold way tonight..think again...Coppice road and other hills solid with traffic.No gritters in sight.I've got a Land Rover and managed to throw a U otherwise I'd still be out there.Poor sods will be there hours...nothing can move with cars at all angles.

Just let you know ,it's got pretty heavy here this afternoon/evening . It took me a steady 20 mins to get to college (Normally 10/15)

Did we have fun yesterday, and it still goes on.

Essex was one of the worst hit and least prepared areas in the country, considering the weather warnings that we had for up to a week, the organisation around here was appalling.

The blizzard started here on sunday afternoon, by the time we went to bed it was already about 100mm deep.

When I got up the next morning, things were bad, this was our road at 8:00am, neighbours conference in progress

feb2snow004.jpg

The dogs seemed to enjoy it though, we couldn't keep them out the garden

feb2snow009.jpg

I walked up the road to check out the empty main routes, all council departments and schools were shut, here's the Braintree District Council Offices at rush hour.

feb2snow011.jpg

My missus had to try to get to work as she keeps her ponies across the road, she's very stubborn anyway, despite the fact that the company is in the middle of nowhere, she thought she'd see if she was needed, I went with her, well equiped for the weather, just to help inevitably to dig her out. This is one of the main routes out of Braintree, it would have been qeueing the other way normally.

feb2snow012.jpg

This is one of the main access roads to her company

feb2snow015.jpg

Round the next bend and we came across this sight, her idiot of a transport manager had ordered out the 4 drivers who had managed to get in, they set off in a convoy and 2 of them promptly slid into a ditch, it cost several thousand quid to eventually tow them out, we offered the drivers a lift back to the warmth of the tea room but they didn't fancy madams driving.

feb2snow016.jpg

feb2snow017.jpg

feb2snow018.jpg

I'm sure you would have told the useless git to get stuffed Beefsteak, everyone in the company thinks he's full of crap.

When we eventually got to HQ, we parked up and went to sort out the ponies in their barn across the road, their water had frozen, so we broke the ice and gave them half a bale of hay each and left them to it, no cavorting in the meadow for them I'm afraid, even though Shetlands are hardy beasts.

feb2snow019-1.jpg

Thats the haulage companies HQ at the end of the meadow

feb2snow020.jpg

While madam sorted out a few financial problems, I had a coffee with the rescued drivers, we then tried to get home, followed by her boss who got stuck and had to be rescued by the postman

feb2snow021.jpg

Eventually we got home after trying to deliver a cheque to a company in the town who's access was blocked by a crashed lorry. Back home, all the kids were sledging and snowball fighting in the nature reserve at the back of our garden

feb2snow024.jpg

Meanwhile, our resident rat was bold enough to emerge and knick the birdseed

feb2snow023.jpg