Spring is here at last, what wildlife activity have you seen.

I woke up to a stunning morning today, so fantastic that I took the Jack Russell out for a walk at 7:00 to take it all in. The woodpeckers were bashing hell out of the trees and all the ducks on the river are pairing up, the moorhens are already building nests along the river bank.

In our garden, all the dafs are out and the tulips look as if they are about ready to flower very soon.

We have a pair of Robins frantically lining their nesting box with horsehair and the blue tits are doing the same next door, for some reason they won't go in the box in my garden. A pair of blackbirds are building a nest behind the shed as well. In addition the pond is full of frogs that were really making themselves heard last night, there are loads of Bumble bees around as well.

Yesterday we saw a pair of Buzzards heading north, they don't inhabit this area so we assume that they may have come off the continent and were heading for their hunting grounds, they are the first migrants we have seen, apart from a family of Poles stuffed into a people carrier with all their belongings yesterday.

It won't be long before the first chiff chaffs arrive, a matter of days I reckon and then it's only a few weeks before we can expect the first influx of Martins and Swallows, the earliest arrival of these I ever saw was at Melbourne in Derbyshire a few years ago when I saw large mixed flocks over the lake in late March.

Has anyone seen much activity in their area yet.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Spring is just around the corner.

Posted Images

not in uk I know but 2 green parakeets on the peanut feeder....first in the morning and then teatime ishs - this must be via there roosting place I guess.... rather have them than the noisy common mynars on there any day!!!

Washed my motorcycle and took it for a ride! Bl@@dy Canada geese are nesting at the pond at the end of our street!

Remind me some one please, where's the Stoneyford Boat ???. I know I've been there!!

Got all the windows open letting a nice breeze blow through and get rid of some of the stale odours that have been around since last October!!

Remind me some one please, where's the Stoneyford Boat ???. I know I've been there!!

only way in by road is from aldercar (near langley mill) used to be renowned for smorgersboard (mables table) codnor castle is only a few hundred yards away where they found the gold noble on time team

Yet another topic hijacked …?

Ok I will do my best to ease the thread back on course; hopefully it won’t be too much of a pain for some members to stick to the narrative.

The only activity in my garden at the moment is the two wood pigeons that have taken up residence in my neighbour’s forty-foot conifer tree.

Apart from them flying from their hide out deep within said tree to my new aerial there’s nothing much new happening.

I did have a bird box that was hung from a rusty nail attached to the side of my leaning backwards shed but as you know I have taken said shed down, it’s now a flat pack…by the way would anyone like it? It’s going free you just have to collect.

For the last two summers here there haven’t been any takers on said bird box so I reckon it won’t be missed by our feathered friends.

At my old address I had a bird box that got used every year by blue tits.

Pictures below were taken today.

Isn’t Diezel a little poser?

Bip.

GermanyBreak106.jpg

GermanyBreak099.jpg

Not so much seen but heard , loads of Sky Larks out in deepest darkest Lincolnshire today (Ain't heard one of those round hear for ages). Pheasants , ( Saw that Barn Owl again, Rog) Bunnies, but the daftest thing , a massive flock of late leaving Red Wings over by Cranwell.

My plum tree is in full flower, peach trees are bursting and plenty of native dogwood are in flower too.

Seem many Magnolias in full flower, and the Daffs are just about finished for this year.

The Northern Cardinals are getting territorial, so won't be long before they are nesting.

Sand Martins starting to arrive in the Kirkby pits area of Lincolnshire, Oyster catchers pairing up on freshwater lagoons, Great crested Grebe's performing mating dance, Shelduck's paired and looking friendly towards each other, Whooper swans on the move now giving fantastic views as they fly over.

Looks like spring has sprung early this year so expecting the Cuckoo in the first half of April

Rog

I heard that it could also have something to do with a notorious 19th century prostitute , Mary Kelly, who always wangled getting herself locked up for winter , thus avoiding having to pay to heat her house!!