going to the dentist

• 5 years later...

I used to go to a dentist on Goldsmith Street. Mr Faure, he frightened me to death, so much so that I screamed the place down every time I went and had to have gas. He also had very awful teeth himself which wasn’t encouraging!

Mrs B

My sister was a patient of Mr Faure in the late 60s. She liked him very much. I saw him once for a filling. He administered an injection which hurt like hell. I think by that time, he was getting a bit beyond it. He did seem very old. It was my understanding that he did not administer nitrous oxide. His reasoning was that, as a dentist, you were only permitted to give a tiny amount which meant extraction had to be done very rapidly before the patient regained consciousness. I could accept that, having been in precisely that situation with Butcher Acton of Gregory Boulevard.

At that time, my sister worked for C & L E Attenborough on George Street. They were dental technicians and many of their staff were patients of Roland Faure.

I think the problem was that my teeth were very ropy, not having been able to have milk as a small child and apparently mum used to have to substitute with Nestles condensed milk. Guessing that wasn’t the greatest for dental health. Consequently I always had to have so much done and I must have formed an association with him and pain! He actually wasn’t a bad old stick.  Definitely had gas though, would have been early 60’s.

Mrs B

• Upvote 1

It's amazing what dentists did in those days that certainly wouldn't be permitted now.  I had my wisdom teeth extracted in the mid 70s...my mouth was too small to accommodate them! This was done by Butcher Acton at his surgery! Admittedly, he had a qualified anaesthetist present on that occasion but it would never be permitted now.

• Upvote 1

In my 30s I had to have my wisdom teeth extracted, my dentist spent I hour and several injections trying to extract the first one. He failed I came out of the surgery, beside the pain in my mouth my body ached with where he was leaning on me and pulling me about, he sent me to the NHS dentist in Nottingham City. Here I was asked by the Dentist if I minded having 4 students watching , no problem just be careful and dont touch the back of my throat as I tend to retch if you do, I have even vomited when I touched my throat when cleaning my teeth.

Well into the chair, injection made and first one out in a flash, he then said he had to trim my gum which he then did. Unfortunately he let then piece he cut off touch the back of my throat, it then happened I covered all five of them. I could not apologise enough but the Dentist said you did warn us , all of us have learned the lesson "listen to the patient".

Well next it was to the QMC where I had the rest extracted with a 2 night stay. 

Even though I have regular check ups with no problems . I HATE DENTISTS.

• Like 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to going to the dentist
On 11/21/2016 at 3:26 PM, MargieH said:

My dentist as a child was on Mansfield Road, just up from Woodborough Road (??).  His name is on the tip of my tongue.... did it began with L?  Someone please help me - it's really annoying.... I seem to remember there were 2 brothers, although I could be wrong (I often am!!)

@MargieHI’m only about 5 years late here but I also used to go to a dental surgery in that very area.  My dentist was a Mr Boyd and he put a gold crown on a front tooth that I broke hitting the bottom of Arnold Baths by stupidly diving in too deep at the shallow end.  I hated this awful shiny thing and kids at school calling me ‘Goldie’.  After a couple of years Mr Boyd moved on elsewhere and a lovely young, straight out of university, dentist took his place at the practice.  I used my charm and worked on him, persuading him to change the gold for a porcelain crown.  That young dentist was John Carberry and he started his own practice in Bulwell.  I continued to use him for about 20 years, even when I lived in the Home Counties.  I only moved to a more local practice when it became more difficult to get up to Nottingham with the kids in tow.  John Carberry retired some years ago but his son is still a dentist in the same location.  I think John’s father was a teacher at either Henry Mellish or Becket, I read it on here a long time ago.  

• Upvote 1

Lizzie, the  dentists you mention aren’t any I remember.  I think someone replied to my question (possibly Phil?) but I can’t find it on this thread….

I believe John Carberry had a brother who was a GP. Also in Bulwell.

He and a couple of other young GPs took over the practice that had consisted of Drs Halley, Kelly and McGrath.  Those young GP s are now retired and I believe there is now a large health centre in Bulwell.

36 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

What was the question Margie ?

I couldn’t remember the name of a dentist whose practice was on Mansfield Road just up from the junction with Woodborough Road I think.  There were 2 brothers if I remember correctly.  This was in the early 1950s.

12 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I believe John Carberry had a brother who was a GP. Also in Bulwell.

He and a couple of other young GPs took over the practice that had consisted of Drs Halley, Kelly and McGrath.  Those young GP s are now retired and I believe there is now a large health centre in Bulwell.

The father of the Carberry dentist/doctor boys was my chemistry teacher at Becket (think he was John/Jack).  The old (long gone) doctor's surgery (Halley, Kelly and McGrath) was on the north side of Main Street.  There are now a couple of GP surgeries (Leen View and another) in a new build that includes a library on the south side of Main Street on the bank of the river.

I remember that you could drop into the old surgery and wait around half an hour to be seen, shuffling along a series of chairs to maintain a queue.  Nothing has really changed save that nowadays you need to make an appointment about a month in advance to do the same thing.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, The Engineer said:

remember that you could drop into the old surgery and wait around half an hour to be seen, shuffling along a series of chairs to maintain a queue.  Nothing has really changed save that nowadays you need to make an appointment about a month in advance to do the same thing.

The same system was in operation at the Kelly, Halley &McGrath Surgery on Alfreton Road, just round the corner from Grundy Street where The Engineer's family lived in the early 60s.

For a while, Drs Carberry and Ansell also practised there but then the practice was closed and patients had to find another GP. It seems they operated only in Bulwell.

23 hours ago, MargieH said:

I couldn’t remember the name of a dentist whose practice was on Mansfield Road just up from the junction with Woodborough Road I think.  There were 2 brothers if I remember correctly.  This was in the early 1950s.

Probably same Dentist back in 1969 that took 3 back teeth out for me at about 3 in the morning......he did it wearing his dressing gown and no Anaesthetic........charged me £11.......bet you couldnt get that service today........

I was still at work in Grimsby by 9am..........

• Like 1

Ben, you’re a brave man having no anaesthetic!   I have fillings without an injection but not extractions!

• Like 1

I was in so much pain........i didnt care...Margie......the then Wife didnt even know i'd been out........told her when i got back from Grimsby........

My grandfather had some work done at a dentist on Gregory Boulevard (Mr Booth, possibly) before I was born. He was asked to sign the required form afterwards but discovered he had not brought his glasses with him so he borrowed the dentist's. Having signed the form, grandad absentmindedly put the specs in his pocket and walked home.

He was almost there when a red faced, out of breath dentist came running up behind him, white coat flapping in the breeze.

He had forgotten having loaned his glasses to grandad, couldn't understand why he couldn't find them and couldn't treat his next patient without wearing them!

• Like 2

Ben,

I have been reading of a Stamford 'Stan' Weatherall's exploits during WWII, in which he was a canoeist member of 2 SBS from 1941. He was from Bulwell and once worked at Bestwood pit. His career, rising from the rank of corporal to a commissioned rank of lieutenant is mentioned in the book, 'SBS Silent Warriors'. I am sure you would have knowledge of the Bulwell family of that name.

Maybe same family Alpha.........i was at school with a Colin Weatherall....who became well known as a football referee.....