going to the dentist

Reading the thread on the nit nurse reminded me of the school dentist (1950s). Used to come around every so often and have look in the mouths of the unfortunate victims.

I remember being told I needed some fillings. No high speed drills then! Just a drill driven through a series of pulleys and no anesthetic. Still remember that thing.

Then told I needed some molars out to make space for others. So back to the clinic a good dose of gas and wake up minus a few teeth. Still have some spaces to this day thanks to those pincer happy @#%&*s. Think they must have been payed so much a tooth by the NHS. Our parents never seemed to question their iffy diagnoses.

We never had a 'school dentist' as such , we had to go down to Park's corner on Burton Road.

I remember having gas and a tooth extracted, my treat for being a good lad was some "Custard Creams" and a nice cup of tea to dip 'em in !!!! Not the best thing to heal up a socket !!

I seem to remember having to go somewhere down canal street (no pun intended) maybe an old school or what looked like one, all these dentist chairs in a row in the same room and kids sat in each one having some treatment, scared the hell out of me so I ran off and didn't stop till I got to me Grannies on Wilford grove

Rog

!! Our school dentist was stationed at Players School, better known in the sixties as 'The John Player Academy For Young Gentlemen', aged eight I remember going to have 4 teeth out, bled for hours.......happened again at Players, just outside the gates 6 years later, lost two more teeh, courtesy of some of the 'Young Gentlemen' earlier referred..........suppose it served me right for wandering into enemy territory from Aspley Lane....... 

Our school dentist was Rosehill up Carlton Road. I only knew I was going if I got home from school at lunchtime and didnt get any dinner!! Mum used to think i would worry too much during the morning if I knew lol. All I can remember of the place was the horrible big black mask that gassed you and sitting at the rows of white sinks to spit out the blood, yuk. But at least i used to get a small prezzie :)

• Like 1

Chaucer Street was where I was dragged. As soon as you walked in

you were knocked back by the overpowering smell of disinfectant.

The worst thing though, was having to sit biting on cotton wool

‘til the bleeding stopped.

The last time I went the big nurse gave me a right rollicking for

Wearing too much Brylcreem; I wouldn’t go again

Another one hear who went to chaucer street, two big nurses who held you down while the dentist in the green apron and the surgial boots gassed you. Then tin mugs and sinks!. Its no wonder kids of the fifties grew up scared of the dentist.

I believe it was Chaucer Street my Mum accompanied me, to have an extraction. Gas, God it still reminds me of the smell of licorice! Heavy bleeding ripped gums when I came around. Horrible big black mask. I think it was a Scots dentist.

We never had a 'school dentist' as such , we had to go down to Park's corner on Burton Road.

That was the place, Beefy. Parks corner, I guess it used to be a private house in its day, then turned into a clinic. If I remember rightly the school dentist did not actually go to the schools. One of the assistants, flunkies? took a look in each kids mouth. It was a foregone conclusion they would find something to do.

My first experience, I was about three or four.

The Dentist gave me an 'International Harvester' badge for being good.

(International Harvester - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

The next I remember was a School Dentist arriving in the village School,

Bucknall Lincs. Square caravan with louvre blinds, we had to sit in the back

watching other kids having dental treatment in the chair!

Never went to school dentist (chaucer st) but remember first tooth out at dentist in New Basford, enjoyed the gas! (my first "trip") lol got a Rupert the Bear annual as a reward, Still young at the time but recall some scandal re this chap later, (remember how parents,relations etc used to s.p.e.l.l. words etc when they didn't want you to know things?) something like he tried to stangle his wife! A later local dentist became an Alcy and disbarred or whatever, think he was on the booze when took one of mine out as had to have stitches, However IF anyone wants the best dentist I've ever known (still takes NHS too!) happy to pass on details etc via pm

A bit too far for me to come Ash!! but thanks anyway !!

I'll write a diatribe re my 'local' dentists when I've got an hour to spare!!!

• 6 years later...

I'm not sure if I remember ever going to Chaucer Street for a dentist, but I always assumed it was the building towards the top of the road. I've now discovered that the dentist's place was this building further down the road, set back a bit. The Blind Institute extended further down Chaucer Street than I realised.

chaucer_zpss6jw23nq.jpg

Yonks ago I had an excellent Dentist who has been retired for years now.  However, I'll never forget one thing he taught me when having needles.

He said:  " Relax your shoulders.  Also your jaw muscles.  It's normal to tense up but then I have to push the needle in and it hurts you.  If you are relaxed it pretty much goes in under its own weight and is easier for both of us."

He was right.

• Upvote 1

I'm with you on that one, Catfan. I have a phobia of needles. Won't even have my ears pierced!  :blink:

I never went to the dentist in Chaucer Street but the one I attended in Gregory Boulevard (Mr Acton) was just as bad. Another Mengele trained dentist. To this day, my dentist has problems every time I turn up on his couch. Unfortunately, those traumatic early experiences never leave you.

I just hope I'm never diagnosed with diabetes because there's no way I could inject myself and as for drug addicts....well, words fail me!  :blink:

• Upvote 1

There is a thread already re Chaucer St & dentists around here somewhere already I think.

The nighmare started for me at the school dentist, years later my dentist said that school dentists have a lot to answer for with people having phobias about going there, no wonder a lot of patients have long term problems he said. The school dentists were usually bottom of the ladder kind who only just scraped through the training, in other words, almost unemployable ! Chaucer St covered a lot of city schools that did not have their own clinic.

• Upvote 2

If I remember rightly we beat up the school dentists on another forum a while ago.  Another reason school days were not the happiest days of my life.  So I won't go there again.

Suffice it to say I'm sitting here gumming my breakfast minus a few molars that were taken out needlessly back in the day.  They must have got paid by the number they could pull out.

• Upvote 1

Had a couple out at Chaucer st,bleddy nightmare...........then three out without anesthetic at 2 in the morning at a Dentist on Mansfield rd.......the rest were much less traumatic.........had em knocked out........easy..............lol.

• Upvote 2

My dentist as a child was on Mansfield Road, just up from Woodborough Road (??).  His name is on the tip of my tongue.... did it began with L?  Someone please help me - it's really annoying.... I seem to remember there were 2 brothers, although I could be wrong (I often am!!)

• Cliff Ton changed the title to going to the dentist