bamber

Colwick Cheese

Never heard that chant before.;)

#50 I'll get them all singing it down Forest next Saturday! 

Sweet dreams are made of cheese, who am I to dis a Brie? 

• Like 5

Colwick cheese anyone?

Bem5bXaIgAATcI0.jpg

• Like 2

I remember the “Sambo“ poem but it was “a rat came by and peed in his eye.” Odd as it may seem the man who delivered papers was nicknamed Sambo I recall many years later he was featured in the press as the oldest or longest serving paperboy delivering in the Meadows area. Whenever we saw him we used to call out “eyup  Sambo” and he never failed to smile and say hello bless him.

I remember it too. As I've said before on this thread, tons of Colwick Cream Cheese consumed in our house when I was a child.  I had a recipe for choux pastry which was divided into small buns, baked in the oven and, when cooled, each bun was filled from an icing bag and nozzle with Colwick Cream Cheese and mashed cucumber. Messy but very tasty. It just doesn't taste the same with any other soft cheese.

• Like 1

Don't think I ever had any Colwick cheese.  I enjoy a bit of Brie but that has no hint of old sock.  ;)

You don't know what you've missed, Loppy. I love Brie and camembert, if they're ripe. However, they are totally different from Colwick Cheese which had a unique taste. Always bought ours from Wealthalls at the corner of Grimston Road and Radford Boulevard. They only had a few each day and when they were gone, they were gone.

As far as I remember, from years ago, home made Colwick cheese seemed to be made in a sock hung from a clothes line! I always thought it tasted like sour milk. Brie and Camembert are fine but I do prefer blue Stilton from Colston Basset dairy. The Long Clawson Stilton has a much too bitter taste for me. I used to like a French cheese called Bresse Blue. It's still available but I've not seen it in local supermarkets.

It did taste like sour milk. We never made our own. There was something unique, too, about the wrapping of Colwick Cheese with it's square of greaseproof paper at the base and the cellophane covering. I believe it was made with unpasteurized milk?

Ah, I wasn't wrong then about the taste. Richmond dairy, just off the Plains, over the road from St. Jude's Church used to make it commercially. I wonder if anyone does now?

It can be had from Belvoir Ridge Creamery at Eastwell near Melton apparently. It became popular when Jamie Oliver eulogised over it some years ago.

All those years ago when we bought ours from Wealthalls, the wrapper said Richmond Dairy. I never knew where it was but the product was delicious!

There's a lot about it way back on this site. It was ultimately banned because it was made from unpasteurised milk.

Are there any recorded figures of fatalities due to eating unpasteurized Colwick Cheese? I survived it and don't know of anyone who didn't.

Why can't people leave things alone?

• Like 1

Having worked in France for a while and had lots of holidays there over the last 30+ years, I developed a liking for goats cheese.  When I gave some to my Mum, she thought it was just like Colwick cheese.  Goats cheese in France is often unpasteurised, and haven't noticed  huge numbers of deaths from eating it

12 hours ago, loppylugs said:

Don't think I ever had any Colwick cheese.

Neither have I and until I read about it on here I had never heard of it.

What would be the nearest equivalent?

• Like 1

Unless you enjoy the disgusting taste of milk that’s gone off I wouldn’t bother looking for a substitute Oz! :biggrin:

• Like 1

I quite enjoyed Colwick cheese. I don't agree it had a "gone off milk" flavour - it had a nice acidity and was very good on a sandwich with cucumber and pepper. There was a cheese that showed some resemblance to Colwick cheese called  St Ivel Lactic Cheese. Not quite the same stuff but it had this same acidic character. I doubt it is available now.

A number of the French fresh goats cheeses (Chèvre) are similar to Colwick cheese but I doubt they would travel very well away from their area of manufacture.

I did try once making my own lactic cheese by mixing lactic acid with milk and collecting and pressing the curds. It was quite nice but not the same as the real thing.