axeman3uk

Record & Music shops

I am sure Ian will remember this one.

11 Queen Street?

(image from ourmansfieldandarea.org.uk)

Image result for syd booths queen Street mansfield

• Like 1

Wow!..Syd Booth Tom...great photo.

I only knew them from 1978 onwards..but my Brother who also attended MC of A..bought stuff from the original premises..i have 10cc singles with Syds stamped on the cover. Thanks oz.

Really enjoyed reading through this thread, could give a like to every post..hope that means I have done! Why don't they have any?

The larger stall in Victoria market was Pendulum Records, red carrier bags, did they have a Native American/Aztec style Logo? Black print writing.

After reading the weeks music mags for the next Monday's releases I found in Nottingham, the major shop's didn't yet stock it. When visting Pendulum they had the import copy released month's earlier! Very competitive price wise also circa 1979 albums in nearby Boot's £5.25 Pendulum £3.99.

• Like 1

Revolver Records..got stung there. £32.99..for Zep's song remains the same On VHS when it came out. Redundant tech but at that price ain't parting.. Green carrier bag's with a black logo?

If I remember Zep's SRTS hit the cinema in '76 . came out later on VHS early 80's

..went to see SRTS .I think it might have been a.one off showing ? at the Royal Centre about 1982.

• Like 1

Queued on Chapel Bar in 1976 with my then squeeze Julie at the ABC...Pizzaland and a caraffe of sangria followed...how we lived!

• Like 1

At first, thought you were writing an extra verse to Waterloo Sunset! ;)

But we are talking 'Percy' here, i dated a couple of stunners that considered him 'out of their league'. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Arcade Records..on Chapel Bar.1509737-832103776805890-45834861-n.jpggreat for Hor Zu and Bravo german albums...Chapel Fish Bar..great saveloys..replaced the Shing Fat Chinese.

• Like 1

Wow! Never knew Arcade Records was there! always West End Arcade for me..I do recall a record shop there in the early 90's. Can't recall the name, bought an Album by that Jay Kay fronted band for an ex, not a fan, ain't going to try a spell that!! 

Remember a little further up a shop selling men's hat's, seemed very old fashioned for Circa '81. Also a chippie..narrow counter to the right of the door.

• Like 1

Recall another shop just down from Arcade in the Arcade. Only place I came across in Nott's that had a few bootlegs, picked up JH Experience on the Swinging Pig label there. Stocked mainly jazz & classical.

Can't remember the name..

• Like 1

Correct HSR..Rob Smith ran it for a while, i purchased on red 12" vinyl-

Co**sucker Blues and Brown Sugar..lots of stuff in cardboard boxes!

• Like 1

??

HSR..when the Stones had had enough of Decca..they were obligated to provide one more single before their contract ceased.

Jagger & Richards did so..Sir Edward Lewis in Decca House played the tape...and choked on his cigar!!

(Have a play on YouTube.)

too rude for me to paste on NS...craftily the stones reserved Brown Sugar for when they set up their  own label..marketed by Atlantic.

• Like 1

Can't be sure, the shop my have moved to the top end of Mansfield Road, just beyond Richer Sounds & the same side. This chap than relocated to one of the unit's in Sneinton market in the 90"s.

Yep.. I knew that..not a big Stones fan but have the c**ksucker blues & big c**ksucker blues (bonus footage) on DVD.

• Like 1

Good Vibrations almost opposite The Old Grey Nags Head. Still there when i last visited.

Many years ago( early 70s) Ace Records was on Mansfield Rd..just above Richer Sounds but across the way- great for sixties US garage and surf punk...he relocated to Wollaton Street. ..he was a Ted..next to Stockwoods Cafe and Scamps.

He is now in West End Arcade!

• Like 1

Remember Good Vibrations well.

run by two hippy chicks. Got a card..which was stamped..when you'd bought 12 album's you.got one free!

• Like 1

Looking again at that last picture posted, I'm wondering if I have the wrong side of the street. To the left of the picture I was thinking the ABC .. 

I wonder if Arcade records started in the West End Arcade then Chapel bar only to return.

Any idea on the date of the pic,  think Arcade was in the Arcade in '81.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2015 at 8:05 PM, trophydave said:

A mate of mine worked at Way Ahead,I remember going to Reading Festival on one of their trips in 1983,the tickets cost about £8:50 back then.I went for a job there when I left school in 1985 but nothing came of it.

Went on a few of these for Northern gig's. A White Mini Bus.. about 10 occupants, SRV in Manchester, the days when the customer came a close second.

Great service..

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HSR said:

Looking again at that last picture posted, I'm wondering if I have the wrong side of the street. To the left of the picture I was thinking the ABC .. 

You're right. ABC was down on the left, and Parliament Street is on the right. That row of buildings was demolished around 2000.

• Like 1

Thanks Cliffton, I have no recollection of a record shop here until about 1991. Mostly Cd, The small collection of vinyl it stocked was all new and directly facing the window, as for the shop's name, it's bugging me like mad! 

I remember buying records at Papworths on Alfreton road back in the 60s and also a record shop in Clumber Street in the city but can't remember the name.

• Like 1

Hindley's was on Clumber Street.

• Like 1

Radford Boy, this is way before my time, but I recall a picture of a trolley bus that left me thinking , was that a record shop? Same side as the cemetery, a few doors down Alfreton Rd. Would this be Papworths?

Katyay, did Hindleys become Bradley's?

I think Bradley's became Virgin. Would this be the property that is the Levi shop today? (Google Earth 18 months ago) or more likely the one next door?

Go back to February 2016 in this thread for a photo I posted showing the Hindley's/Bradleys place on Clumber Street (and, yes, it's now the Levi shop).

• Like 1

Don't know if this warrant's nostalgia, only about 28 years ago! There was a shop on Heathcoat St, Parliament St end on the right hand side callled the Big Apple, sold mainly records. Recall the chap that worked there played Acoustic Guitar, they also provided free toilet facilities and a free cup of Tea! Prices were steep however, bought the first Traffic album for  £8.Recall an Album by a David somebody there On the Elektra label 1967-69 ..never seen it before & produced by Paul Rothschild..should have bought it but £12 ouch!!

Thanks for reminding me of the 'Our Price' shop on Clumber St. I think it closed in about '85, only ever bought one record in there,  in the closing down sale, for 75p .Johnny Winters 'Guitar Slinger' which I recall being a newish release.