• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

Looks like the word & song players have woke up bored to death, here have something Nottingham.  Have a good day, try & get yourselves outside today, it's later than you think    

If a stop said "Request Stop" then the onus was on the passenger to put their hand out & if the stop said "Bus Stop" then that was/is a compulsory stop.

• Like 1

Saw a bus in town today on  the Arnold route, and it was named Albert Ball VC. Brilliant ! Well done NCT.

11 hours ago, IAN123. said:

s18.jpgperhaps Deepdene,Roger and Catfan recall this demo in the Square ..about the closing of bus depots?

Can't say that I do. - What year was this Ian ?

• Like 2

I think that would be when the council decided to close Bilborough Depot, the only purpose built bus depot in the city, all others being old tram sheds except Central Market depot which was .....................an old indoor market ! Year would have been late '70s early '80s. Sadly this brought on the desire by Nottm City council to close Bulwell &  Sherwood depots too.

Central Market depot was only temporary anyway.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, catfan said:

I think that would be when the council decided to close Bilborough Depot, the only purpose built bus depot in the city, all others being old tram sheds except Central Market depot which was .....................an old indoor market ! Year would have been late '70s early '80s. Sadly this brought on the desire by Nottm City council to close Bulwell &  Sherwood depots too.

Central Market depot was only temporary anyway.

I left in 1980 and as I recall, I was still servicing Bulwell ,Central Market, and of course, Trent Bridge. - occasionally, I had to go to Sherwood and Bilboro' if Norman was off at Sherwood.

• Like 1

The council expressed a desire to close Bilborough Depot & that caused widespread protests across the job with threats of strike action, but the union was unable to stop the closure.

Remember that period well.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

The sequence of pictures Roger...seem to be mainly 1977.

Does that tie in with anything?

If that's right , it will just be old age and poverty which is causing my memory loss !! :wacko:

• Like 1
15 hours ago, IAN123. said:

s18.jpgperhaps Deepdene,Roger and Catfan recall this demo in the Square ..about the closing of bus depots?

I remember that demonstration in front of the Council House.

After running all the buses into their respective depots we had a mass meeting at the Co-op Arts Theatre on Broad Street before marching on the Council House in protest of the planned Bilborough Depot closure.

Your dad will remember that occasion Deepdene !

• Like 1
6 hours ago, catfan said:

I remember that demonstration in front of the Council House.

After running all the buses into their respective depots we had a mass meeting at the Co-op Arts Theatre on Broad Street before marching on the Council House in protest of the planned Bilborough Depot closure.

Your dad will remember that occasion Deepdene !

Mick,this would have been after Dad had left NCT, in December '76, to take up a full time post with the TGWU in Burton-on-Trent. If I remember correctly Bilborough closed as bus depot in November 1978 and was used by the City Council for housing refuse and maintenance vehicles.

• Like 1

Ian, 452, was allocated to Bilborough depot, and services 13, 16, 16a, 32, 56, 60, 62 and 74, which were operated by Bilborough depot used Long Row West as their City terminus. It is likely that 452 was parked as a spare should the need arise to replace a faulty vehicle on one of these routes.

Atlantean 586 is in Leicester operating a route that was run for a short time following de-regulation in 1986.

I don't know about Gregory Street being used as a learner route, but Bracebridge Drive certainly was as I can remember watching these past my Nan's house.

• Like 2

Hi Deepdene Boy

when you stated about Hucknall Bus Museum where is it please? 

one more question with you signing in as Deepdene did you use to live in Broxtowe.?

• Like 1

Hucknall bus museum is situated in the old Trent bus garage !

When I joined NCT in '74 they had half a dozen of those learner buses always  parked up in Bulwell Depot overnight, took my test on one of those around Bilborough.

• Like 4
42 minutes ago, catfan said:

Hucknall bus museum is situated in the old Trent bus garage !

When I joined NCT in '74 they had half a dozen of those learner buses always  parked up in Bulwell Depot overnight, took my test on one of those around Bilborough.

Thanks for the info hopefully will get down there sometime, it makes you wonder how many people know about it, thanks to you and Deepdean boy people now know where to go.

• Like 4
19 hours ago, catfan said:

Hucknall bus museum is situated in the old Trent bus garage!

The Trent bus garage is something that had entirely left my memory of Hucknall.

Am I right in thinking that it was/is about halfway down Portland Rd on the left going toward Boo - ul, near a garage and the entrance to the Miner's Welfare?

I have looked on Google Maps but things are so much changed in that area (no Bottom Pit, for one thing) that I am unable to work it out.

• Like 1

trogg, thanks for that. I used to walk that way every day when I was at Butler's Hill Junior school. It was all very different then. The garage had a swinging sign outside saying "Punctures 2d". I couldn't understand why anybody would pay tuppence to get a puncture - such is the odd mind of a 9-year-old.

Regarding the naming of the pits, we always said Top Pit and Bottom Pit. This No 1 Pit and No 2  Pit is completely new to me.

A Daimler with a pre-selector gearbox I think, not very nice to drive at all. Remember some of the Bulwell old timers talking about them if you didn't quite get the gear change right you could easily end up with a broken ankle !

• Like 2