• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Market Square , Nottingham c1960s

King Edward Street, Nottingham 1976 Former site of Central Market after it moved into the Victoria Centre & was being used as temporary parking for the Nottingham City Transport buses Ph

Looks like the word & song players have woke up bored to death, here have something Nottingham.  Have a good day, try & get yourselves outside today, it's later than you think    

Hi Pianoman who was Cliff Ince and where did he live? Gordon Ince was a bus driver for mgo in the early 60s and quite often drove the B3 bus from Mount St. to Alfreton which l would catch at Nuthall Three Ponds pub.I think he had 2 girls and no boys.

Cliff Ince was a Trent bus driver at Mansfield and later Sutton Junction at the time I was there. He was also a PSV instructor as well. He was ex Midland General possibly Mansfield District (Green 'uns) as well. He is likely to be retired now.

• 3 weeks later...

Could'nt find it Fly. Won't repost it again, don't want to bore folks to death. Probably had enough of me on Radford photos.

Type in Hauliers in the search facility at the top right hand corner. Otherwise go to the Forums page, and scroll down to the Transport section, and you should find it .

Hello Toton girl, I think the ones on the 43/44 route would be a little bit more modern than this one I'm parked in bulwell market, outside the old Olympia, (Woolworths). On the way up to Camberley rd. If, as your profile states, your To ton, do you know Toton lane Stapleford ? Just the other side of Bardills island, over the A52. My sister in law lives there. Just saying, is all. :rolleyes:

On 8/7/2019 at 5:58 PM, Beekay said:

Hello Toton girl, I think the ones on the 43/44 route would be a little bit more modern than this one I'm parked in bulwell market, outside the old Olympia, (Woolworths). On the way up to Camberley rd. If, as your profile states, your To ton, do you know Toton lane Stapleford ? Just the other side of Bardills island, over the A52. My sister in law lives there. Just saying, is all. :rolleyes:

Hi Beekay, I live off Stapleford Lane in Toton, often walk upto Toton Lane for the tram to Beeston. Small world isn't it?

On 8/7/2019 at 8:02 PM, Deepdene Boy said:

Beekay, Totongirl is correct, Bulwell depot were allocated Fleetlines 79-94, once the trolleybuses finished along with Atlanteans, from 420 - 444.

I thought so. My Nana lived at 3 Vere Street Bulwell, now the bus staion, and we often went to visit on a 43/44. I can remember being on a trolleybus swinging round Bulwell Market, he went really fast!

• Like 1

Hi Totongirl, just to add to you post on visiting grandparents, I can remember catching a 43/44 from top of boden st., to bulwell market then walking up quarry rd., commercial rd., to visit my gran and grandad. Used to go Sunday morning to be in time for dinner. Grandad had his dinner then went off to bed, saying " make sure you look after me rabbits". It were only a couple of years ago I was sent a photo of their gravestone up at northern cemetery, I realised grandad died in 1949 and I used to visit them on my own aged six ! All that way on a bus, on me Todd.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the clarification Deepdene , I figured someone would update bus info. I never studied em, I just drove em. I knew there are people more knowledgeable than me. B.

• Like 1
On 8/7/2019 at 1:18 PM, Beekay said:

img20190807-12594940.jpg

Bit late I realise, but this is one I used to drive, out of Bilborough.

Happen I am missing something 'ere but wasn't the idea of sticking the engine at the back and having a full width bus at the front done to facilitate one man operation? The man with the 'X' on his back standing with his back to the driver appears to be a conductor. Didn't conductors wear dark green or was that just drivers?

Looks like a conductor, they were still used on Clifton routes and 35 to Bulwell until early eighties. Maybe they still used them on all routes until a certain date. It looks like the conductor is wearing a summer jacket, they were light coloured and then in later years changed to green, worn by drivers and conductors.

• Like 2

In answer Piano man, when fleet lines were first introduced they were still 2 man crewed. Your right about green uniform, however that conductor, John ( Andy) Devine was wearing the summer jacket. They were still double crews when I left in late 1966. Uniforms were changed from double breasted to single breasted about 1964 ish. I can recall trial omo buses, still using the old conductors machines strapped down. It wasn't an X it was two leather straps, one a cash bag, the other a ticket machine.  thumbsup

• Like 2

To the very best of my knowledge, yes. When I started on Corpo in 1962, the summer jackets were like a lime green or pale green anyway. When they changed over in 64'  the summer jacket was like camel/taupe colour with green epaulettes and green cuffs. Lots of us being late teenagers used to roll our sleeves up to impress the ladies. Some even wore their summer jackets in winter !!

Bit of useless information to above. When we became a full crew, I bought a quart Thermos flask so we could have drink during the shift. It served us well with coffee, at least two & half cups each. Still got that flask 55 years later ! Still working perfectly. :yahoo:

Beekay did that flask have a tartan print on the outside?

I had a similar one with a wide mouth that you could put really chunky soup or chipolata sausages and beans in.

Great on a cold winters day when fishing.

Did you subscribe to milk in the flask or one who insisted that the milk be added separately, in our case from a Camp coffee bottle.

Hi Oz., had a look in the cupboard and the pattern is like a light blue background with little stars pattern all over it. We only ever used to make coffee to take to work, (we took it in turns) I used to make it in a jug, complete with milk and sugar. Only ever used it since to carry hot water when on long car journeys for fresh tea. Do use it when we have a threat of power cut to store boiling water, especially during storms. It's not a food flask so doesn't have wide mouth. B

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

Built in the 50's and 60's? Many areas of Nottingham and villages in Notts had "Wimpey estates"

For some reason many of them had a rough aggregate outside finish as the walls were moulded concrete.

Clifton Estate had many Wimpey homes as did an estate in Rainworth