Were you at Berridge?

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Through this door...and it's the original, although painted black in my day...I walked with my mum one cold morning early in 1962. I was just 4 years old. The door led to Miss Smith's office and my mu

The junior entrance as it was in 1969.

Sitting on this exact spot, facing the stationery cupboard in Mr Parr's classroom, in spring 1969, I sat my 11+ exam.

Posted Images

12 hours ago, carni said:

Young Love oh Love, Filled with sweet devotion......Benj

We share with deep devotion........mi duck.........

• Like 1

I am an interloper - I wasn’t at Berridge! However, I first saw my future wife, from a distance, on the night Kennedy was shot. Friday 22nd November 1963. I met her properly in summer 1964 when House of the Rising Sun was number one. She was 13, and call me a cradle snatcher but it really was love at first sight. I was absolutely infatuated. I used to walk the long way home just to pass her house and catch a glimpse of her. Bitter, sweet memories! We began to “go out” in the summer of 1965 when the Help! album was release (You don’t realise how much I need you ....) We were married in 1968, she was 17 and I was 20. Still married. Still love her deeply.

• Like 5

@trogg and @AfferGorritt  Great to read your stories of young love - pleased it all worked out for you.

Paul and I met when we were almost 21 and were 23 when we married.

57 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Let’s form a ‘Didn’t go to Berridge Society’!

I dint go to Berridge, I did however go to Boulevard, (not the cinema).

I would have been more upset if you hadn't responded AG. I just love the banter. Makes you realise, you're not on your own. Cheers!

• Like 2

I'm beginning to wonder if I should have gone to Berridge, it would seem I missed out on quite a bit. However, as I'm older, I would never have met the Ayatollahess, that whippersnapper Jill Sparrow. Oh dear, I've led a sheltered life.. :shout:

Seated: Neville Eccles, Alex Smulkowski, Geoffrey Hollington.

Standing: Stephen Binns, Geoffrey Eaton, Alan Roe, Christopher Holbrook, Brett Stephens. On the right: Christopher Fox.

Teacher. Alan Parr. 1969.

• 3 weeks later...

Jill has found this Berridge class photo. It has with it a chart giving the date as 5th June 1973 and naming the teacher, Miss Hazel Dodds with the pupils names too. Credit to the original poster of the image, Sharon Singleton who I hope doesn’t object to my reproducing it here. Top left could be Mark Purdy who we used to babysit for.

265-E0-D20-8-D9-A-41-EE-BB46-3191-D1-F9-
6-F066-FF2-E988-412-B-A4-DB-A5-CBEB9-B34

Did I see this photo on Facebook yesterday?  Whenever I see a Berridge photo I think of you Jill

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
23 minutes ago, MargieH said:

Did I see this photo on Facebook yesterday?  Whenever I see a Berridge photo I think of you Jill

I’m really impressed with the ex pupils of Berridge, I see so many posts and photos relating to the school on Facebook, makes me wish I’d gone there.  
I never see anything about the schools I attended, except on their dedicated sites, and even then there’s not a lot of interest really.

To combine this thread with the subject in another thread.............I can see a hell of a lot of old school photos relevant to me, because there's a Facebook Group named Clifton Estate School Photos., which does exactly what it says.

The chairs the children are sitting on were brand new in 1968 when the school acquired a library. Very 60s looking they were. They were gone 2 years ago when we visited. 60s tat. Probably fell apart around 1978!

3 hours ago, philmayfield said:

There's no history or photographs of my old primary, Arno Vale. It was built pre war and is still in existence. I must confess I never went back to visit.

There weren’t any whole class photos in our time there Phil.  I remember there being 3 chairs next to each other on the playground and the photos were taken of 3 children at. a time.  We just got our own photo to buy though.  I’ll find some of my primary school photos to  to put on NS somewhere - but not on this thread cos this is supposed got be just Berridge!