Fears and phobias?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Catfan, I think the dream shows you that you are staying well ahead of any problems in your life (health?) and you''re not going to let them beat you because you are a 'fighter'   Jill, when

Apart from a fear of hights I have no other fears or phobias. Othe night I was having a very vivid nightmare, being chased by a monster & I was shouting quite loudly in my dream & then Mr

As for 'fears & phobias '...... Being old, being infirm, being broke, being alone, being blind, being deaf, being unable to drive. 

Ahem ! No political content please Ian!

How do you know Chulla wears em !

As for 'fears & phobias '...... Being old, being infirm, being broke, being alone, being blind, being deaf, being unable to drive. 

• Upvote 2

I am scared of moths,wasps,and people who dress up as clowns or jesters,or dress up as anything else really,I like to see who is inside the costume.I hate it if I go to town shopping and someone is dressed in costume collecting for charity or to advertise something...I do a detour.

Another couple...... Being neglected, and being forgotten ! 

I feel the same with hornets. There are plenty around at the moment as the vendemia has finished and there are no. More sweets for them. Hope this rain drowns them.

How long have you got?..  :Shock:

I've had to take myself off to A&E more than once with severe panic.  It's horrible.  Wouldn't wish that level of dread on my worst enemy.  Not had that for a while though.

I have a general fear of infectious diseases, especially really nasty things like Meningitis. Mrs Col had it many years ago.  Terrifying..

Despite several courses of therapy and a lot of 'self help' stuff, I still struggle when my kids have any sort of problem, or my grandkids are unwell. I have to fight to avoid going to the default 'worse case scenario'.  I'm getting a bit better with my daughter's travels.  I still like to know she's landed safely, but at least I no longer sit up all night tracking flights on the internet...

Progress. :)

6 hours ago, nonnaB said:

I feel the same with hornets. There are plenty around at the moment as the vendemia has finished and there are no. More sweets for them. Hope this rain drowns them.

Not scared of those things at all, because they don't normally attack unless provoked or threatened.  But just as an aside, I picked up three bites almost two weeks ago. All below the knee and most likely down to 'Black Fly' of the ' Simulidae' group.  These behave like small horse flies and deliver an excruciatingly itchy bite n order to get blood.  It took the best part of a week for the itching to stop, despite treatment with everything short of thermonuclear devices.  Even then, just toughing the bites could set them of again.  Today I 'acquired' another of these bites which not only itched like mad, but also set off the other two 14 day old bites on the same leg...

If I could catch the offending bug, I would increase its surface area by a huge amount!  ;)

I suppose its not so much a fear or phobia of some of those critters, Col.  I think the problem is the unpredictability.  Worst stinging I ever got from Yellowjackets was one evening. The sun had almost gone down and I was just rolling up my hosepipe from the ground.   A bunch of 'em came out of a hole in the ground  (I didn't know they lived in holes in the ground or tree trunks then)  I suppose they saw me as a threat.  They stung me all over my arms, legs and around my head.  I ran for the house and they actually chased me inside. Some got through the door with me and stung me some more inside.  As you said I increased the surface area of some of them by quite a bit.  I learned later that if you kill one they give off some kind of pheromone which makes the others even madder.  Like I said.  Not really scared of 'em but I do treat them with a lot of respect now.

• Upvote 1

Sounds pretty scary Loppy!  From their perspective I suppose you were a threat.  You were messing about near their abode.  The thing with Horse Flies and Black Flies is that the females actually set out to find mammals from whom to get blood.  They don't do the Mosquito thing of prodding and sucking, they just use thir knife like mouth parts to slash your skin then lap up the blood.  They're very sneaky about it too.  I mean, you'd think they might at least ask first....

• Upvote 1

#38DJ360, I can understand your feelings when you say you have a battle always going to "the worse case scenario". My imagination always runs riot and I have that same problem all the time. It is a shame because it casts a cloud over so many things. I am going through it every waking minute at the moment, because I have surgery coming next Friday, and I try so hard to be positive but always drift back into the negative thoughts without even realising.

Another phobia is, not being in control of my exit from places eg; confined spaces,Lifts, too far in buses or transport, when full of people and the air is stale. I can get in a very embarrassing panic if I become aware that I have got myself in a confined space.

Oh yes, and another one that has crept up on me, I can get lost anywhere, especially in large buildings, which has sapped my confidence in going anywhere on my own. Proper Wimp these days. :rolleyes:

You get lost in large buildings carni?  Best steer well clear of the Queens Medical Centre then.

Thanks Loppy for the info re yellow jackets. My sister in law had some a few years ago in her garden just outside the front door. She told me what they were ( in italian) but I could never find out what they were in english. They finally managed to get rid of them but dont know how. Knowing her husband he probably burnt them out. He was never afraid of anything. I miss him.

I had lunch with my sister yesterday and I was pulling her leg about when we were children and her nightly ritual of looking under the bed before she got into it. What she thought was there, I don't know but nothing ever was! She was terrified of the dark and insisted on sleeping with the light on. When we shared a bedroom as children, this caused major problems as I could never sleep with the light on.

As a three year old, I had to take my ten year old sibling upstairs to the toilet if it was dark because, even with the landing and hall lights on, she was too scared to go on her own. She was a very nervous child for some reason but seems to have grown out of it, thankfully!

Apart from a fear of hights I have no other fears or phobias.

Othe night I was having a very vivid nightmare, being chased by a monster & I was shouting quite loudly in my dream & then Mrs Catfan woke me up because of my loud shouting.

I tried my hardest to get back in to the dream but was unable too ! I was enjoying it too !

• Upvote 2

Catfan, I think the dream shows you that you are staying well ahead of any problems in your life (health?) and you''re not going to let them beat you because you are a 'fighter'

Jill, when I was a child I HAD TO get down the stairs from the bathrooom before the toilet had stopped flushing.  I remember holding the toilet chain and getting myself ready for flight before I pulled it!  I usually made it by jumping the last four stairs.   I also remember racing across my bedroom after I'd switched the light off by the door and leaping into bed before 'whatever it was' reached out from under the bed to grab my ankle..

• Upvote 3

Oddly enough, Margie, toilets are probably the only phobia I have and it originated from my very unpleasant experience when I first started at Berridge Infants, which I've written about under First Days at School.

To this day, I'm phobic about certain toilets. I cannot use the old fashioned, high level cistern type. They just give me the creeps. Although they are few and far between these days, there are still some around. It was a nightmare for my mother when I was a child because they were everywhere.

A few years ago, I went to give a talk to a local history society who hold their meetings in an upstairs room at a village pub. It was my first visit and I thought I'd go to the loo before I commenced. I knew when I opened the door what I was going to be faced with. Two loos, both high level cisterns with chains! :(

No chance! I walked straight out again. Waited until I got home.

The pub has since been extended and brand new modern loos installed, so I'm quite happy to go there now! :rolleyes:

• Upvote 2