motorcycle shop old broadmarsh

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lol, the joys of motorcycling! Will ask Mick about that trip, but you're not confusing it with his detour through through the open doors of Marks &Spencer Wheeler Gate are you? Had left the marke

Does this show it? It certainly shows Fred Bunney's

Hooleys motorcycle shop later became a chinky (am I allowed to sat that now?) before it was the lighting shop. It was just south the old ballroom and the roundabout it faced was known as Hooleys islan

Wasnt Andy Bones shop to the right of Bunny's

Anyone remember the game that was played in the Trip

i used to pass these buildings almost daily and think i may have gone into that pub once or twice before it was pulled down and redeveloped, but would love to know what number canal st the pub was. know my grandfather lived at number 37 untill after his fathers death 1n the 1880s iknow it was somewere between kingstons and the fellows warf .was this pub definitely called the long bow if it was i will try to do some reserch on it next time i go to the archives. that will give me moore of an idea of were there drapers shop and home was

Was that one on Canal St called the Bowling Green?
Saw The Rolling Stones going in The Bowling Green one day in 1964, parked their tour bus on pavement outside!

Seems to have been called Bowling Green at least until the mid/late 60s. I was too young to pay attention to pubs back then.

bowling.jpg

thanks for that i will look it up and see if i can find out what number it was.

taking a look at this photo it looks as if it could have been several buildings at one timeand know that my gradfathers shop became a temperance hotel by 1891 cencus it could even been part of this hotel and later turned into a pub now this will make some interesting research for me.

looking at that map then cliffton it must have been were the printing works is on the map as the nuber befor that is number 30 and the next one after it being 38 so it had got to have been there thanks clifton another mistory solved for me ill get dave to copy this and put it in my family history folder with a foot note to that efect

Seems to have been called Bowling Green at least until the mid/late 60s. I was too young to pay attention to pubs back then.

Think it might have been known as The Bowling Green through the seventies on memory.

looking at that map then cliffton it must have been were the printing works is on the map

Babs, just in case this is a line of investigation for you, that print works was Derry's (

Derry & Sons, printers and stationers). It was an old established medium-sized Nottingham printers own by the Derry brothers, one of whose name was Peter, don't remember the rest. I'm just mentioning this because I'm sure the history of that place/building will likely be around somewhere.

I know it a little as I visited there from college as an apprentice in the seventies for some instruction and also had a mate who worked there.

THANKS FOR THAT STU WILL LOOK INTO THAT TO FIND OUT WHEN IT STARTED AND IF IT WAS PURPOSE BUILT OR CONVERTED BUILDINGS BUT CAN AT LEAST PLACE MORE OR LESS WERE THE SHOP WAS

Didn't the 'Narrow Boat' become Nottingham's first Brew Pub in the 70s?

bowling.jpg

I have a map dated May 1953 & it was the Bowling Green then

Wasnt Andy Bones shop to the right of Bunny's

No, Andy Bone's was at the top of Huntingdon Street, near the junction with Mansfield Road. Had many dealings with them over the years; they were the local agents for Garelli and did Hondas as well. Nigel was the parts/sales guy, after Bones shut he went to Daybrook Square.

Andy Bones motor cycle shop spent many years on Arkwright street near the GCR railway bridge before moving to Huntingdon street

Rog

Andy Bone's, on Arkwright St was the most unusual looking motorbike shop as I recall, too clean! think at that time the only "motorbike" they sold seemed to be Itoms, lad we knew had one, didn't used to measure MPG, more likely MPBE, (Miles per Big End) about once a month it needed an exchange crank!

They sold Garellis' from that shop too-i bought one. I think it was about a week before it suffered the first of many engine seizures. Just as well the importers,Agrati Sales were based in Nottingham,on St Marks Street at the time.

Either Des Bone,owner at that time,or his mechanic,a guy with a peculiar high pitched voice used to race a tuned version of the 50cc Itom.

Would that be later Trickymicky? I was talking re 1963 ish, Nigel who was mentioned earlier also worked at Agrati in the stores, Agrati were also importers/agents of Kawasaki 2 strokes inc the imfamous 500 and 750cc triples

Yes,Ashley,it was early 1972. It was the time the minimum age for riding a motorcycle was raised from 16 to 17.

I had already been issued with a licence in anticipation of my 16th birthday,and had a Tiger Cub that i had done up ready and waiting. Then they raised the age,and revoked my licence!

At the Earls Court motorcycle show just after,Agrati had the first of those things with a set of superflous pedals,so they could be classified as a moped,and ridden at 16,and dad bought me the actual one on the stand (although the government paid for it in the end with the compensation they had to dish out). It was supplied through Andy Bone's on Arkwright Street.

Another importer based in Nottingham,of course, was Honda UK,until they relocated to Chiswick.