Speak Nottinghamese

Interesting, a mix of accents that somehow come together and you picked up on it, I bet no one else would Ben, bet the chap was surprised when you came out with that little gem

Rog

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you want to sing along? Ay up mi duck, ay y got a parnd Gooin darn tarn, meet me at the Lion Vodka through a straw, I'm already pissed up I'll spray some shapes so the girls all act up Gerrup, sta

I tried to guess the birthplace of a lady last weekend by reference to her accent. I said ‘Herefordshire’ because I knew someone from there. ‘No’ she said, ‘Fife in Scotland’. She had been been living in Lancashire for many years though!

I enjoy trying to place where people are from by there accents.........but what i really enjoy is......when its obviously a welshman..i'll ask where abouts in Scotland there from.......or vice-versa.....:)

After 36 years exile, I take great delight when people say, " your'e not local are you"? I tell no, I come from 2 miles up the road.

" But you did'nt always live there".

No, that's true I come from Ticehurst, the other side of the county.

I eventually own up and tell them I'm from Nottingham.

I've been guessed at...Birmingham, Derby, Sheffield, York, even Blackpool ! Somebody once said was I from Scotland.

• Like 2

That's why I never make recordings of meself Ian, I can't understand me either. :Shock:

Thing is, whenever I visited my brothers, they all agreed, I'd 'gone posh'.

• Like 1

When I left school my first job was at Luton, then 6 months in Bristol and back to Notts after. For some reason when I go to the States everyone seems to think I’m Australian ! Must be a mix up of lingo on my part. 

• Like 1

When we lived in South Africa my eldest son started school. As we lived in SA my hubby did not ant him to go to the local school (he did not want him to salute the SA flag each moring) so my friend told me that her 2 childen went to the covernt and were doing well. After about a month, one of the nuns ask me to step into her office. The nun said may i just ask you, What is buuuter ans buuus ? I then had to explaine to her about our accent.

On 6/5/2023 at 8:37 AM, Cliff Ton said:

My grandma in Radford always said Coursey for pavement; I never heard anyone else use it

Ger ont 'CAUSEY'.........Still say it now......t' Grandkids.......even t' wife......makes her laugh anyway....:biggrin:

• Like 1

I was surprised, many years ago, when I discovered that 'Mardy' isn't a real word in official dictionaries; it only appears in Slang or Regional dictionaries.  

It perfectly describes a certain kind of person and attitude. If Mardy didn't exist, what else could you use in 'proper' English ?

• Like 1