that's why god made the radio, what do you think

Depends how old you are fch782c, Watch With Mother started about 1954/55 I think. We didn't have a telly until 1955 but before that I listened to the wireless ......... shipping forecast and then Listen With Mother !!

Listen With Mother was still on into the 1960s. Was it on the Light Programme of the Home Service? - can't remember.

And people have mentioned Round the Horne, but I always preferred its predecessor Beyond Our Ken - the same cast, with the addition of the recently-deceased Bill Pertwee.

• 4 years later...

Well deserved, and a good taste in music too.

• 4 months later...

First soap I recall getting home from school had to be quite mum was listening to Mrs Dales Diary. Then The Archers an every day story of country folk. Just like Emerdale opp’s that’s Tv and we must not forget Adventures of Tin Tin. 

• Like 1

Listening to radio Caroline this very moment Rog.  They broadcast 24/7 on 648Khz AM, internet and DAB (6 cities).  Occasionally, they broadcast from the ship Ross Revenge, moored in the Blackwater Estuary, Essex.  This weekend they are doing a broadcast from the ship Friday-Monday with Max Radio on 1368AM.  Try and see if you can receive either of the MW broadcasts.  Failing that, tune in to:

http://radiocaroline.co.uk

• Like 2

I like to listen to the main channel, which is all album stuff but on special weekends such as this one I tune in to the live broadcasts from the ship itself.  These ship-based broadcasts are mostly old singles.  The reason they get to use the 20KW Manx transmitter for relaying the signal is that Ronan O'Rahilly, Caroline's owner until he died recently, helped Manx get on the air after the 1967 Marine Broadcasting Offences act came into force.  Manx have never forgotten his help and are still friends with Caroline to this day.

• Like 2